3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Non-warranty Voiding Mods...

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2006, 02:54 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by User Name:
Im interested in non-warranty voiding mods for my truck. was hoping we could start a list... engine/tranny mods, suspension mods, etc.... i know a tuner/chip is out of the question, but what about exhaust systems? or suspension lifts, axle gear changes, air intake system... etc....

i love my truck, but like anything i own, i cant leave well enough alone. lol
I think you can buy a novelty shifter **** and not have problems with the warranty. Get a skull head one that looks mean and will make your truck faster and get better mpg's
Old 11-01-2006, 08:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BigDave12768
I think you can buy a novelty shifter **** and not have problems with the warranty. Get a skull head one that looks mean and will make your truck faster and get better mpg's

i saw a site that sold shifter ***** that would change the power bands of the truck. they had defferent kinds of power bands that would correlate to the shift *****. some added as much as 50hp.

Old 11-01-2006, 08:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool RE: Warranty and modifications

1) Read the warranty carefully on your vehicle. If that warranty does not "clearly and specifically state that aftermarket equipment voids the warranty" (per the Magnuson-Moss Warranty - Federal Trade Commission Improvement Act of 1975), AND
2) If the warranty problem was NOT SPECIFICALLY CAUSED by the installation or operation of the aftermarket modification

then, pursuant to that FEDERAL LAW, the warranty must cover if still in effect. Period.

Dealerships and their employees may attempt to inflict their opinions, or their choice or decisions on you, but here is what you do:

1) Contact the manufacturer of the after-market part. Have THEIR warranty person contact the dealership. That may resolve the issue for you.

2) Have the dealership provide you with their warranty denial IN WRITING - that way you can use in any upcoming meeting - your request for their written denial should be in writing, too, so you can prove you asked for it, and they refused to give it to you in writing, if that turns out to be the case.

3) Contact the Federal Trade Commission (202-326-3128) and register a formal complaint.

4) Contact the vehicle manufacturer zone rep for the vehicle manufacturer that covers the dealership - advise them of the situation, and that you have filed a formal complaint, and will consider further legal action for violation of Federal Law

5) Have the dealership provide you with all of the failed parts

Often, the manufacturers of aftermarket products have had a lot of experience in these areas. For example, Pac Brake has a statement of warranties and rights, and I have also an email from them concerning their product and Cummins installs, specific to my inquiry, BEFORE I had the Pac Brake installed. Documentation (sales receipts, correspondence, product info) can also be of great assistance in these situations. My 2005 Dodge warranty does not exclude installation of aftermarket items, but will not cover damage that is CAUSED by them - fair is fair.

You may also be able to find and down load a copy of the Federal Law (I haven't searched yet) - sometimes providing this to the dealership may convince them to cover the warranty.

Manufacturers (such as Pac Brake), cover the cost of the warranty repair in the event that THEIR PRODUCT caused the problem (so, rightfully, the warranty would NOT cover the repair). Check into the manufacturers you purchase from. You'll need to be able to prove it to them of course.

No manufacturer will cover for abuse or neglect or misuse, but this issue is not a "dealership by dealership" matter of choice, or opinion, or who you "know" or how much you "buy" - it is Federal Law, and the aftermarket product industry is HUGE. Having the right information and knowing the process can be helpful.