3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Non-posi truck definetly came with a posi.

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2007, 07:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Non-posi truck definetly came with a posi - correction=not posi.

Today I did a posi test (again). With the tow mirrors out so I can watch each tire. I backed up to some dirt, dumped the clutch in granny-gear, then kept the RPM's up while keeping my left foot on the brake pedal. Both tires just kept going forward at the same speed and digging two identical sized holes in the dirt. The other posi I bought for my other truck and then pulled out before I traded it in will hit e-bay.
Old 07-09-2007, 07:30 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Before getting rid of it I would check the inside of the rear differential. If after removing the cover you see a large flat gear to the side of the ring & pinion you have the Dodge style of positraction. If no gear no posi....Think I'd check to be sure before getting rid of it.

JMHO
Old 07-09-2007, 08:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by donhov
Before getting rid of it I would check the inside of the rear differential. If after removing the cover you see a large flat gear to the side of the ring & pinion you have the Dodge style of positraction. If no gear no posi....Think I'd check to be sure before getting rid of it.

JMHO
Plus it may be a traction issue as well. You had boh tires in the same dirt and (I am assuming) the same elevation. If you were to put one on the road and one on the dirt, then you would be able to tell if you have a posi.....

On the other hand if you really do have a posi in a non-posi truck, rock on!
Old 07-09-2007, 08:49 PM

I want to buy a cooling cover for it, but now I really want to go take a look. I have seen them both. I will probably go see what I can see through the drain plug on the cover. The open carrier it seems will be easy to identify, 2 sides, spiders and a shaft. The gear posi is mostly enclosed with only little windows to see the internals. It has to be one though. My last truck, with an open, never hit both tires. This test today and the two long ruts in the sand last week, identical with me watching both tires spin the same way seems very convincing.
Old 07-09-2007, 09:41 PM

Well, I went and looked in the drain plug and it is an open carrier. Wide open with big ole' spiders & shaft for me to see. Dang. When I got complete dual traction in the sand & dirt, I thought for sure it was a posi. No other open diff. I have ever had did this. Oh well. I am still swapping it out for the posi one. Thanx guys.
Old 07-09-2007, 11:37 PM

Did your sticker say "anti-spin" differential? Mine does, and in researching this and another board that means it has the Dodge type "limited" slip. I have not had my cover off yet, to look inside, but both wheels turned opposite in the air. I always thought this meant open diff. Apparently not per the research.
Old 07-09-2007, 11:41 PM

Originally Posted by InfernoB
Did your sticker say "anti-spin" differential? Mine does, and in researching this and another board that means it has the Dodge type "limited" slip. I have not had my cover off yet, to look inside, but both wheels turned opposite in the air. I always thought this meant open diff. Apparently not per the research.

With these gear posi's there needs to be some resistance I believe. I am still bewildered why my open diff. acts like stiff osi in sand & dirt.
Old 07-10-2007, 11:05 AM

Um...maybe this will explain why some trucks that were SUPPOSED to get posi's...did not!
Old 07-10-2007, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by cquestad
Um...maybe this will explain why some trucks that were SUPPOSED to get posi's...did not!
I was wrong. In the dirt both grab like a stiff posi. But last night I peeped through the drain plug hole & saw an open carrier.

Thanx.