3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

nice nerfs 4 new ride?

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2003, 07:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
nice nerfs 4 new ride?

One of the only things my wife remembers about test driving the truck was how high it was... Well it's almost here and she's insisting I get nerf bars asap. Any suggestions? I'm not looking to spend a bunch (but I can/will if there's a good reason to do it). I've seen the following brands. Any experiences? I'm just looking for basic black bars. Hey, this is just a bent tube, right?

What I've seen -

Westin - most expensive. Oval bars and oversized bars offer a solid step, but worth all that money? $310+ or so for my QC

Nasta - offered as a lower cost option to Westin on one site. Supposedly similar except for the brand name. $230-ish for my QC

E-bay - there's a guy selling nerfs for $185, the steps are not cut in... less chance of rusting. Seems reputable.

Bully - the dirt cheapest I've found at $174...

who's got what and why??
Old 12-08-2003, 07:24 PM

Re:nice nerfs 4 new ride?

I just recently had the Westins put on my quadcab. They are fine. Absolutely solid and when you step on one and use the hand bar you can pull up quite nicely. The wife has approved and seems to appreciate them. Also, for whatever it's worth, I think the Westins look really fine. You've got a lot of truck and will probably have it for awhile (anyway that's my plan) so why not go first class. Life is short. I kind of think women really need for us to have these trucks. In the end it makes us better Americans, better husbands, fathers, sons, and all that stuff. Or something.
Ken
Old 12-08-2003, 09:12 PM

I just purchased the Westins. Not the platinum versions, but the "regular" ones. I've had them twice before and they rock! Never had a single problem with them.

Ooops, let me rephrase that, my daughter and I purchased the Westins for mom's new truck for Christmas. They're not installed yet, but even a moron like can do it! See honey (if you're reading this) I do care about you!!! : ;D
Old 12-08-2003, 09:58 PM

I have the ones from Ebay. They are made by www.cyc-engineering.com

They are excellent quality and cost $205 shipped. They also have a lifetime warranty.
Old 12-08-2003, 10:56 PM
Banned

I'm planning on Putco 4" bars, wheel to wheel. I think for a QC, long bed, the standard 3" bars would look small running from wheel to wheel. 'Course, they're about the most expensive out there, so I think they'll have to wait a while.
Old 12-09-2003, 01:55 AM

I always wanted Nerf bars......now that I have them I dont like them as good....I had a step pad come loose on the highway. It managed to damage my SS rocker cover.....of course, the company replaced the pad but there is still some minor damage on my stainless trim that I cant repair.

Have you ever seen the Kodiac steps....They are just about the coolest things Ive seen. They swing down when you open the door and swing up and out of the way when you close the door. Check it out:

http://www.kodiaksidewinder.com/

Old 12-09-2003, 07:47 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I just bought a SS set off of Ebay by Cyc-Engineering. I hope the quality is up to my standards (fingers crossed). Price was right, cost with shipping came to $174. ;D

MikeyB
Old 12-09-2003, 09:25 AM

[quote author=MikeyB link=board=49;threadid=23473;start=0#msg220699 date=1070977675]
I just bought a SS set off of Ebay by Cyc-Engineering. I hope the quality is up to my standards (fingers crossed). Price was right, cost with shipping came to $174. ;D

MikeyB
[/quote]

Wow, $174 is great....I still can't complain about my $205.
Old 12-09-2003, 10:30 AM

I paid the local truck outfitter $300 installed
Old 12-09-2003, 10:52 PM

My wife, er boss unit says the same thing. Waiting for me to get some steps. Haven't done it yet. >

I had some Smittybilts on my old Chev, and they were very nice, much like Westin. Made a great step and looked sharp.

The only complaint I had was that when you drive off road they get very muddy and don't protect the door panels or anything. So I've thought about getting a more traditional running board this time. Problem is, I think I like the looks of the Westin nerf bar better. ???

good luck.
Old 12-10-2003, 06:36 PM

Being somewhat vertically challenged at 5'7", it became appearent that I was going to need some help mounting and dismounting my trusty steed, and reaching into the saddlebags (toolbox). I chose Putco Boss bars for their looks and sturdy functionality. No sir, they were NOT cheap at $600.00 at www.misstruck.com, but quality seldom is, as you all know by driving CTD's.

.02 Old School

Well, whadda ya know, I found a picture!

Old 12-10-2003, 09:08 PM

That pic looks windy and brrrr cold.

By the way, nice bars!
Old 12-20-2003, 11:46 PM

I'm a little late in posting to this, but I put Westin's on my '93 3500 but I bought the painted black ones and then had them Rhino-lined when I did the bed.
I've attached a pic and if you're interested, I can even email you some close-ups as well.
Old 12-21-2003, 04:11 AM

I beleave in innovation thus I would have a shop build me a set of custom ( bend the pipe and weld it to the frame then paint it black) rock guards. I had this done to my dakota and it was'nt much of a cost and it looks trick not store bought. It is also stronger then the thin type tubes that are sold.
Old 12-21-2003, 08:55 AM

I have the Luverne Stainless nerf bars on mine I like them a lot and they come clean very easy. I think they were about $300 dollars installed?

Quick Reply: nice nerfs 4 new ride?