3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

News on Eaton E locker

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2006, 03:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gus's 03
as far as useing a factory powerwagon unit, hold tight, soon as i have time ill see if i can get a full wright up done with pictures.

Does the Power Wagon locker require grinding the housing at all?

Thanks
Old 07-24-2006, 11:53 PM

Originally Posted by cjperry
Does the Power Wagon locker require grinding the housing at all?

Thanks
When I first started looking into getting the front locker I checked into using the PW locker. Dodge says it wont work with the Cummins front. The PW and the Cummins have two different housings. But... I made the Eaton E work so I am sure someone could make the PW tracrite work on the Cummins.

BTW My locker is working great. Hard to put in - but works awesome. Leakage stopped also around rubber gromet.
Old 07-25-2006, 02:01 PM

I have an e-locker that I was going to install in my Dodge until I read your post. My Dodge has 3.73s so it sounds like I would have to do a lot of grinding or change gear ratio. I would prefer to install the e-locker in my Chevy and purchase the AAM electric locker for my Dodge if I can install it without as much grinding. Sounds like Gus's 03 has had success with the Power Wagon locker.
Old 07-25-2006, 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by cjperry
I have an e-locker that I was going to install in my Dodge until I read your post. My Dodge has 3.73s so it sounds like I would have to do a lot of grinding or change gear ratio. I would prefer to install the e-locker in my Chevy and purchase the AAM electric locker for my Dodge if I can install it without as much grinding. Sounds like Gus's 03 has had success with the Power Wagon locker.
You own a chevy with your Dodge???? My sympathy is extended to you
Old 07-27-2006, 08:27 AM

No sympathy necesary. I'll be a happy trucker if my Dodge provides the level of service that my Chevy has.
Old 08-23-2006, 09:41 PM

Originally Posted by Dan Marino
The good news is that it works.

Warning-You get a great product but the directions for the front locker are generic because pictures and print take you through installing an Eaton E in the rear of a chevy. There are not printed directions for the Dodge grindings let alone a true picture of a front locker installation.

The bad news is - this is not an easy modification like it is advertised.
In fact, some major grinding work needs done on not one part - but two. The first and easeist of the two grindings is on the bearing cap. The elctromagnet has a head on it that needs to set in place so it will not rotate. The left bearing cap has a bolt and a clip underneath the bolt that has to be ground down and then some grinding into the bearing cap to make a place for the head to sit into. A small tack weld between the clip needs done also.
The worst part of the whole deal is the grinding inside the differential housing.
The elctromagnet on the diff. needs 1/4 inch of material ground out of the diff housing. And here is where the major problem lies. You have to take so much metal out that the back of the housing that it becomes paper thin. We had to scab in a protective piece on back of the housing (outside) the housing where the grinding came through.

There were two professionals working on this mod. They would only grind a small fraction at a time out and then lift the diff in to see if it would fit. It took over two hours of this back and forth to where it was finally able to fit. By the time it fit, the grinding had came through. There were no green horns doing this mod, and I reccomend that you not try this if you dont have some great skills.

Another issue is the hole that needs drilled into the top of the housing for the wires that activate the locker. I still have a small amount of leakage around this area. The directions were followed to the "T" so - not sure about this issue as of right now. If you try it, good luck. Also, if your grinding does not come through, I reccomend that you still build some sort of web on the outside for protection.
bump to the top