3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

newbie, what intake, Edge with Attitude?

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2007, 08:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
newbie, what intake, Edge with Attitude?

I am new to the forum. I have a 06 one ton. What is a good intake for this truck. I have a AFE stage two that I took off of my 04.5 but was told that it won't fit my 06. I also was given a Edge with attitude for Christmas. Is it a good idea to install it and take a chance with the warranty? i have heard that if you don't go over level 3 you would be ok but what have others on here experianced.

Thanks
Old 01-01-2007, 08:15 PM

i have a '05 3500 with intake, 5" exhaust, edge juice with attitude( i run it on level 5 about 70% of the time) on a stock 48re auto trans and i have about 32K miles on my truck. i have had the edge on there for about 12K miles so far and no problems what so ever. its great... i just ordered a Diablo Predator programmer for it also.. hoping to keep the trans in it if im good to it. you should be fine for a reasonably long time!
Old 01-01-2007, 08:22 PM

Tim, thanks for the reply, what about towing with it? I tow a 36 foot toy hauler in the rocky mountains. it weighs around 15K LBS.
Old 01-02-2007, 05:46 AM

Make sure you hook the pyrometer up. Your egt's should climb quick with that weight. I can hit 1300-1400* real quick pulling light loads, 7000lbs, on grades on any setting. The Edge runs hotter than my Tripledog did for some reason. As long as you drive by the pyro in the mountains you should be fine.
Old 01-02-2007, 11:30 AM

Pulling that trailer you will end up needing mods to your tranny, you probably could get away with a tc and vb. You can take a stock tranny out with stock power pulling a big trailer. I would also recommend (as was recommended earlier) an exhaust and intake upgrade too. And make sure you hookup the pyro part of your attitude VERY IMPORTANT. Also I would consider at some point upgrading the turbo. That was the single best improvement I made to my truck for towing. After the new turbo my egts rarely ever get to critical levels. And the extra power is awesome for the big hills.

Kevin
Old 01-02-2007, 12:16 PM

Welcom to the site, Like has been said get your pyro in first. Your EGT's are gonna be hot so you'll want a larger exhaust I'm running MBRP 4" duals and a K&N intake which I'm happy with both. Your tranny and TC will hold the edge just fine but if you're doing a lot of towing it's gonna be a different story.
Old 01-02-2007, 12:21 PM
Banned

What is the build date of the truck, trucks after 6/of 06 are having a problem with the Edge programmer this problem could be fixed by now but my buddies truck woulden't work and that was 2 months ago.
Old 01-02-2007, 12:37 PM

I talked with Edge last month, and they said the fix should be out no later than mid January. I've had mine for 3 months, going on 4, waiting for the fix. They said it was in beta testing and should be about ready for release this month.
Old 01-02-2007, 01:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I run the Edge on 3 probably 80% of the time and have 25,000miles. I put the edge on at around 8000miles. Stock tranny and so far so good. Level 3 definately seems the best to me for everyday driving. 4 and 5 seem like to much timing and not enough fuel to go with it but there's still definately a power increase on those levels. Just doesn't seem to run as smooth. I turn it down on 2 if I'm towing HEAVY and up to 4 or 5 for the occasional ricer. If you tow more than 8- 10K# frequently you definately need exhaust and intake upgrades or egts become a problem even stock and especially withe the juice on. Ditch the muffler or put on an aftermarket one, get an intake, and install the juice and you'll be golden as long as you don't drive to kill. (Or get the need for more - which won't take long.)
Old 01-02-2007, 06:08 PM

exhaust

What exhaust is the best and where do I purchase it and how much do they cost?

Thanks again!
Old 01-02-2007, 06:21 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by albrightfour
What exhaust is the best and where do I purchase it and how much do they cost?

Thanks again!
It all depends on what you want out of your truck??? 500 HP? You'll need a 5" exhaust.. If your just goona run the Edge then get a free flowing muffler . You allready have 4" from the turbo back just get rid of that restrictive crap.. Look into Rokktech.com or a donaldson.. If you want louder growl look into MBRP's replacements or RPM Replacement pipe for straigh piping.. You will get drone without the KAT.. I removed it on my 05 when I Installed the 5" turbo back dual exhaust.. I just bought a 5" system off ebay for $260 plus shipping $65.... Best deal I could find.. It is a straight through system.. I am having Rokktech build me a 5" muffler to install... I want the performance of a 5" system without all the noise....

You also don't really need 5" to reach 500 HP but I noticed one heck of a difference in EGT when I was towing....

Shane
Old 01-02-2007, 06:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
pm larry ellis, he owns this site and gives some smokin deals on exhaust systems. I got my cool duals from him, got here the next day shipped out of the dallas area.
Old 01-02-2007, 07:57 PM

Just a small correction on the exhaust luvn.. a 06 has 4" all the way from the turbo back. And you dont need to have 5" for 500hp,, in fact going from 4" to 5" dosent do much,,, On a 560hp truck NADP in Edmonton did some tests on a dyno, and found that actually at certain rpm's it lost hp with the 5" and overall it only gained 3 to 5 hp. It still only comes out of the turbo at 4" so it bottle necks right at the begining.

Kevin
Old 01-03-2007, 03:49 AM

Originally Posted by 05SilverBULLET
14.86@93
Tell me a little more about this run:

1. Stock 265/70/17 tires?
2. Level 5 on the EDGE?
3. What was the temp outside?
4. Anymore additional weight?
5. Was your TOW/HAUL mode ON?
Old 01-04-2007, 12:26 PM

Can anyone answer my question above?

Quick Reply: newbie, what intake, Edge with Attitude?