3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

New Turbo Install

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2008, 08:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone pull out their inner wheel liner to get access to the turbo? You may still need to pull manifold but it looks like you can reach right in to the turbo over the tire. I ask this cause I have a bad back and don't like to bend over fender no more than I have too.It looks like the inner fender would come out fairly easily.
Old 02-09-2008, 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by ataboy9026
Anyone pull out their inner wheel liner to get access to the turbo? You may still need to pull manifold but it looks like you can reach right in to the turbo over the tire. I ask this cause I have a bad back and don't like to bend over fender no more than I have too.It looks like the inner fender would come out fairly easily.
the inner fender comes out easily and will allow you to get access to the turbo, I actually installed my first turbo that way, but I soon found out that removing the manifold makes a turbo swap 10x easier.
Old 02-09-2008, 08:56 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I pulled the inner fender. Not hard at all to do and you can access the bolts easier.
Old 02-09-2008, 09:28 PM

I did it without removing the manifold. I could reach the mounting bolts from the bottom with a long wobble extension. The exhaust got in the way and the oil return was a pain, but it worked.

Check the length of the mounting studs too - apparently they changed the thickness of the mounting flange at some point which made the stock studs a little short. Since I didn't know that, I just tightened everything as much as I could and it's been fine.