3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

New Smarty Jr installed & Throwing Multiple DTC codes now

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2009, 11:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Smarty Jr installed & Throwing Multiple DTC codes now

have had my smarty junior on for about 2 days now and all of a sudden this morning i got a camshaft position sensor code come on, then 5 other codes. one was water in the fuel, some others were low voltage codes. ill check in the morning to get all the code numbers. Has anyone ever had anything like this happen? It could just be coincidence, cause i did just fill up at a new place yesterday and they may have had water in their fuel. Kinda scaring me a little. when i tried starting the truck a few hours ago it had a hiccup before it fired up, which has never happend before.
Old 09-18-2009, 06:48 AM

How old are your batteries?
Old 09-18-2009, 07:20 AM

Drain your filter canister into a clear jar and see if you have water in the fuel. I'd be leaning towards bad fuel.....
Old 09-18-2009, 07:51 AM

the batteries are about 8 months old.

I took it into firestone this morning for front end alignment and rotate balance the tires. I told them to check out the codes and see what they think.
Old 09-18-2009, 08:27 AM

could it be the boost fooler or the smarty causing the codes? I will have firestone check the filter canister.
Old 09-18-2009, 09:40 AM

Possibly but if they were already on the truck and you had no issues, but now all of a sudden you ARE having issues after filling up then I would first check the obvious. Check for water and get a new fuel filter. You may also need some kind of additive to pour in the tank to absorb the water if that is found to be the problem. Either that or pump all the fuel out of the system....
Old 09-18-2009, 10:21 AM

so by taking the fuel filter off and dumping it out, i should see water in it? Or is there another canister inline with the fuel filter that accumulates water? the tuner has been on for about 4 days, and the boost fooler was on for a day prior to shooting the codes. Im thinking it could be raunchy fuel.

Trending Topics

Old 09-18-2009, 10:26 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Under the fuel canister is a yellow valve so you can drain the canister. Drain it 1st into a cup, then out with the filter.

Another thing you could try after this is clear the dtcs and unhook your batteries for an hour or so, or overnight one day. It'll reset the trucks computer.
Old 09-18-2009, 10:32 AM

well I just talked to firestone. they found quite a bit of water in the fuel filter. what should i use for additive to get rid of the water?
Old 09-18-2009, 10:36 AM

You need some Iso-Heet. How full is your tank? You may need to evacuate the bad fuel if theres alot of it.
Old 09-18-2009, 10:43 AM

I filled it from about 1/4 tank. firestone said the bad fuel prolly caused all the codes since it was running crappy. I think ill try some Iso-heet. can it be bought at autozone or pepboys? could the water have accumulated from running constantly on low tank levels? like 1/4 tank and below? I just dont understand it seemed like a heavy traffic area for diesels, guess i misjudged lol
Old 09-18-2009, 11:14 AM

Its possible that you had some tank sweat. Enough to cause the codes and whatnot, I don't believe so. It has been rather humid and wet around. But with all the recent rain in Houston conditions for bad fuel could always be present at any fuel station.

The Heet you need is IsoHeet, red bottle. Napa has it but not sure about the rest, I'd imagine so.
Old 09-18-2009, 11:24 AM
Chapter President

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
do you have your receipt for the fuel? If so contact the station you got it from and tell them they will be getting a bill for the crappy fuel. Then get Firestone to give you something in writing stating what they found.
Old 09-18-2009, 12:00 PM

no receipt. i wish i would have kept it now. it was like 70 bucks worth of fuel.... well i guess ill keep a bottle of this IsoHeet stuff in the truck just in case.
Old 09-18-2009, 12:45 PM
Chapter President

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
did you pay cash or CC. If CC you do have a receipt.
Go talk to the owner of the station anyway. Call the dept of weights & measures. I think they handle that kind of stuff. They might come out and pull a sample and check the stations tanks.

Quick Reply: New Smarty Jr installed & Throwing Multiple DTC codes now