3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

New Smarty Jr = Thermometer is screwy

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2007, 07:30 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
New Smarty Jr = Thermometer is screwy

Installed the Jr on level 2, now the thermometer says -40*F and it isn't THAT cold out.... Anybody know how to fix that???
Old 12-28-2007, 08:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mine is doing the same thing. Although it seems to go away after a little bit of driving. I didn't think it had to do with the Jr. because I've always felt like my thermometer has always been a little messed up has done random things.
Old 12-28-2007, 09:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
there is a TSB flash for the scerwy overhead reading's...mine was doing it last year..but the flash fixed it......proably has nothing to do with JR
Old 12-28-2007, 09:44 PM

Mine did the samething Monday, thought it was strange -40 and as I drove it started changing until it got to the actual temp.

I wonder if it had anything to do with reseting the overhead after filling up with fuel?
Old 12-28-2007, 09:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Wv7o
Mine did the samething Monday, thought it was strange -40 and as I drove it started changing until it got to the actual temp.

I wonder if it had anything to do with reseting the overhead after filling up with fuel?

it's all part of the TSB............NUMBER: 08-026-06 REV.
this is from the TSB......SYMPTOM/CONDITION:The vehicle operator may notice that if a vehicle door is left open for longer than 20 seconds the illuminated interior (dome) lamps will turn off.The vehicle operator may describe that the ambient temperature first displayed in the overhead console is not accurate (displays -40°C or -40°F), when the ignition switch is turned to the "On" position, then slowly updates to the outside ambient temperature as the vehicle is driven.
Old 12-28-2007, 10:13 PM

This is the first time its ever done this--well the first time I have ever seen it anyways. Well I will have to reset back to stock and have the ECM reflashed with the latest and greatest from DC.
Old 12-29-2007, 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by 53 ******
this is from the TSB......SYMPTOM/CONDITION:The vehicle operator may notice that if a vehicle door is left open for longer than 20 seconds the illuminated interior (dome) lamps will turn off.The vehicle operator may describe that the ambient temperature first displayed in the overhead console is not accurate (displays -40°C or -40°F), when the ignition switch is turned to the "On" position, then slowly updates to the outside ambient temperature as the vehicle is driven.
Well I did have the interior door open a long time while installing the Smarty... I'll see if it comes back to normal.
Old 12-29-2007, 06:34 PM

Well the thermo went back to normal... Then I downloaded level 3 and it went back to -40* again. It only stays that way until I start the truck the second time, then it's okay.

That level three is a blast! And I get good smoke as the auto kicks down and grabs a lower gear. I was cruising at 30 next to a Ford that was all jacked up with big rubber and just as I rolled ahead of him I gave the Smarty a little goose and she let out a nice blast of black smoke...

I haven't stepped on the skinny yet while at speed at level 3... the roads are wet here yet, and I'm afraid the rear will break loose
Old 12-29-2007, 08:42 PM

Chances are there is a good possibility of your overhead giving false readings because of your smarty.
This is quite normal side effect to using *any* downloader, due to the fact that you have altered the ecm's basic parameters, which in turn sends false readings to the overhead. Enjoy your Smarty's it is a small price to pay
Old 12-30-2007, 04:34 AM

Originally Posted by 53 ******
I was so mad when this started happening, thinking it was because of wiring in my gauges. Now i have to take it down to the dealer and get a reflash to fix this. It's so annoying to have the lights go out after 20 seconds. Even the cargo light won't stay on for more than 20 seconds. Thanks for the Heads Up ******.