3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

New Silver 62 Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2008, 07:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Silver 62 Turbo

Hey guys,
I just wanted to put up a post on my new Silver 62 turbo. I jot to tell Industrial Injection did a great job getting me this turbo. I bought one from a local guy and it turned out to be in less then perfect condition so I sent in out to be rebuilt and ordered a new Silver from II. They got the parts in and Overnight-ed the new Silver to me. I put it in today and man when she lights the truck has no problem lighting up all 4 - 35's. I still have some tuning to do but things are good so far. She spools a whisker slower then the stock er but not real bad. I don't see more then 35lbs of boost so I need to take a look see at the boots and I may give the boost elbow a turn or two.
I'll report back on egts and boost pressure.
See ya,
Topper
Old 03-30-2008, 08:08 PM

Good to hear I just ordered a silver 62 today. Can't wait!
Old 03-30-2008, 10:16 PM

What are they set at from II? I can easily hit 48psi... I've seen 50 a couple of times...
Old 03-31-2008, 04:13 AM

Maga,
I don't know what there set for. I thought it was 40 but not sure. I'll call II today and find out. I got ta thinking maybe my Commander wont read over 35 psi. I have never seen more then 32 or 33 no matter what turbo I have had on the truck. Does anyone know if anything needs to be done to the Commander to get it to read higher? I can still get the truck plenty warm I know I saw 1420 once and that wasn't a real hard run.
Thanks,
Topper
Old 03-31-2008, 05:56 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Should be set at 45lbs from II. That's how my Silver64 is/was.... until I really turned up the fuel. Now I tickle 52lbs. I think the wastegate can't keep up with the fuel I'm using.
Old 03-31-2008, 06:27 AM

I know as far as the commander goes, mine will read more than 35 psi. I have hit 43 psi with my stock turbo.
Old 03-31-2008, 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by Topper
Maga,
I don't know what there set for. I thought it was 40 but not sure. I'll call II today and find out. I got ta thinking maybe my Commander wont read over 35 psi. I have never seen more then 32 or 33 no matter what turbo I have had on the truck. Does anyone know if anything needs to be done to the Commander to get it to read higher? I can still get the truck plenty warm I know I saw 1420 once and that wasn't a real hard run.
Thanks,
Topper
Quad has an adapter that connects to the Commander and into the intake manifold that will read true boost pressure vs. MAP pressure. The problem is that MAP pressure won't read high enough for the boost your new turbo produces.

The adapter works really well, I have one on my truck.
Old 03-31-2008, 05:58 PM

Commander can only read 44psi. You have to buy the boost adapt that they supposedly have... I haven't ever see it... I asked for one way back when, but since I never hear from them, I just installed an analog one...
Old 04-01-2008, 06:46 PM

Hey guys,
I ordered up a boost adapter for the Commander. So now I was wondering if my turbo is big enough or not. I can still get well over 1400 deg. without a problem. I'm sure the temp will still keep on climbing but when the Commander starts flashing I let out.I was hoping that the new turbo would keep things cool. You guys that have a Silver 62 how well does the Silver cool your mix.
By the way when this baby lights it the truck goes like crazy!
See ya,
Topper
Old 04-01-2008, 06:56 PM

I have a hard time getting my to 1350, but I'm still w/ stock injectors and don't have it stacked with TST.
Old 04-01-2008, 07:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Megaramasaur
I have a hard time getting my to 1350, but I'm still w/ stock injectors and don't have it stacked with TST.

Interesting. How do you like this turbo w/stock injectors and no fuel box? I was wondering if the big turbine makes it laggy w/o injectors or pressure.
Old 04-01-2008, 09:27 PM

Well I do have a Smarty Beta 4.3 so I do have fueling... without my Smarty and my built tranny, my truck hardly moves. Feels like a Ford ForkUS.
My Smarty lights it pretty good, slightly slower than stocker.
Old 04-01-2008, 09:44 PM

i can get 52psi on level 5 and havent touched the boost elbow. its set where it was when it came out of the box.
Old 04-02-2008, 12:41 AM

Originally Posted by Topper
Hey guys,
I ordered up a boost adapter for the Commander. So now I was wondering if my turbo is big enough or not. I can still get well over 1400 deg. without a problem. I'm sure the temp will still keep on climbing but when the Commander starts flashing I let out.I was hoping that the new turbo would keep things cool. You guys that have a Silver 62 how well does the Silver cool your mix.
By the way when this baby lights it the truck goes like crazy!
See ya,
Topper
I've been running one of the standard Smarty programs on level 9 and occasionally kick the pressure up with the X2 and I don't have EGT problems at all. Do you daily drive with your TST on? I really think you would see your EGT's drop by installing an aftermarket exhaust manifold, plus your turbo will spool even quicker. The higher flowing manifold really helps to move the hot gases away from the engine faster.
Old 04-02-2008, 03:54 AM

Hey guys,
I guess I need to add that with the Smarty (8) and Flux 2s I don't get over 1100 degs. Now when I add the PM R37 things get a bit hot. I don't daily drive with the PM on just the Smarty but when I want a bit more I'll Punch up the PM to 3 3 or 4 3, When I add the PM the power is awesome.
Thanks for all the input,
Topper

Quick Reply: New Silver 62 Turbo