3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

New Owner, question about fuel additives

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2014, 01:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Owner, question about fuel additives

Hello All,

I recently purchased a 2005 Dodge cummins 5.9l 2500 with a 8' bed, 35 gallon tank I believe. I am wondering what type of fuel additives y'all add to your truck's gas tank when you fill it. The previous owner gave me some left over additives but I am unsure on the best way to add it into the fuel. My gf's dad every time he adds fuel to his truck he fills up external 5 gallon fuel canisters and then adds the additives that way. I'm wondering if there is a better easier way to do this. Any help is very much appreciated.

Thanks,
Stanford
Old 09-04-2014, 05:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I mix diesel kleen and tcw3 oil 1:2 and add one ounce per gallon of fuel directly to the tank every fill up. I had two injectors go bad before I did this and none since. I also have a 2 micron fuel filter.
Old 09-04-2014, 07:25 PM

Thumbs up "Diesel Kleen with Cetane Additive"

Hello,

I also use "Diesel Kleen" in my 2004.5 Ram 2500, and basically I can tell you that you should notice that your truck will idle smoother and you should notice a little better mpg while using this product. It can be purchased at just about any auto part store, or walmart. Note: Walmart in my area has the best price for it. I use it every time I fill up with diesel. Also if you currently aren't running a 2-micron fuel filter/water seperator system get one installed as soon as possible. The factory fuel filter filters down to about 7-microns, Bosch recommends a 2-micron filter for their injectors.
Attached Thumbnails New Owner, question about fuel additives-0002785403080_500x500.jpg  
Old 09-04-2014, 08:51 PM
Advocate of getting the ban button used on him...

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I also use the diesel Kleen like above. I use it every 3 or 4 tanks though. I also run the tcw-3 two stroke oil and use it with the diesel kleen.

Not much else is needed. Run good quality filters (Baldwin or fleetgaurd) and try to buy your fuel from places that sell a lot of it like truck stops if possible. This will be the cleanest fuel.
Old 09-04-2014, 09:21 PM

I only used to use diesel kleen, but when I started buying parts from the semi parts store for fixing customers equipment, they turned me onto a product made by FPPF. They only do diesel engines and they have a few different products for the various needs. Its cheaper, I have had better luck keeping my diesel un gelled in the winter with it, and I still feel the better idle using it. It claims to have a lot of the same uses and effects as diesel kleen. I mostly use Sea Foam< I think that's how you spell it. It's cheapest at O'reily's around here. I have tried and tested many times that using a bottle of this gives better mileage in all of my trucks and my wife's Armada. My did uses it for at least the last 2 years in his Duramaxy pad, and he claims a religious 2mpg increase verses not using it.
Old 09-05-2014, 12:42 AM

Thanks everyone for your responses, I have some diesel kleen already. My main question really now is how do you add it into your truck? Just pour it in when you fill up at the gas station?

Thanks again for yalls help.
Old 09-05-2014, 06:56 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I mix Power Service with TCW3 in a used one quart oil container. Pour into tank at the fuel station before fueling up. I carry few premixed bottles in the tool box.
Old 09-05-2014, 08:24 PM
Advocate of getting the ban button used on him...

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by MikeyB
I mix Power Service with TCW3 in a used one quart oil container. Pour into tank at the fuel station before fueling up. I carry few premixed bottles in the tool box.
This is also how I do it.
Old 09-05-2014, 09:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have used power service in my 06 truck since day 1, if Im at 1/2 tank I just poor some in and fill her up, guesstimate 15 gallons add the amount it says, all works out in the long run, been good for 148k so far.
Old 09-05-2014, 11:47 PM

This article has been around for a while, but is still good.

As for adding the additives, you can pour it when you fill or when you get home. It really doesn't matter. The fuel in your tank flow to your injector pump and back to the tank. So it will circulate and blend within a short period of time.

I use TCW3 every tank at a 1:128 ratio. One once per gallon. But your in the later years before ultra light diesel, so you can even go as low as 1/2:128 ratio. It lubes the system, quiets the engine and will lengthen the life of your fuel system.

About every three months I through in Lucas for an injector cleaner in three consecutive tanks.

It has been mentioned of using a 2 micron filter, and this is best since Bosch recommends a 7 micron or less for the injectors. Less abrasion to the injector tips. Best setup is a pre-fuel filter / water separator and a final filter.

Take care of the truck and she'll take care of you.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Diesel fuel additive ver 3.pdf (137.0 KB, 182 views)
Old 09-06-2014, 04:38 PM

Wow, thank y'all so much for all this information. Being that this truck is my first diesel I really was unsure on how to properly maintain it but all this information has helped tremendously. I really do appreciate all yalls help.
Old 09-16-2014, 12:01 AM

I have read before that if you have any water in your tank, the Seafoam will absorb it. Then, when it runs through your injectors, the high pressure can causes the water to separate and can blow the injector tips.

Anyone know anything about that? I will say that I've always had great success in my gasoline powered engines that have ran Seafoam.

I've been hesitant to try any additives, but have recently noticed a hair of a rough idle. Came on here to ask the community opinion, and saw this thread.

If Seafoam is indeed safe to use, would it be a better product to use than the Diesel Kleen?
Old 09-16-2014, 02:27 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
FPPF, Power Service (silver in the summer, white in the winter), and TCW-3 two stroke oil.

Like everyone else, just pre-mix it and go. I'm doing it every 2 or three tanks on the wife's '06 or when it starts to get that loud diesel chatter. The TCW-3 helps quiet it down.

-Kris
Old 09-16-2014, 10:25 AM
DTR 1st Sergeant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by gilaphreak
I have read before that if you have any water in your tank, the Seafoam will absorb it. Then, when it runs through your injectors, the high pressure can causes the water to separate and can blow the injector tips.

Anyone know anything about that? I will say that I've always had great success in my gasoline powered engines that have ran Seafoam.

I've been hesitant to try any additives, but have recently noticed a hair of a rough idle. Came on here to ask the community opinion, and saw this thread.

If Seafoam is indeed safe to use, would it be a better product to use than the Diesel Kleen?
You can do some research and find some good info on what does what.

There are those that believe this is all snake oil. There are those that believe the products are the best things going. I won't reopen the flame wars of the past and let you make your own choices.

Many of the reputable products are good for what their intended use is. Sea foam is one of those good products, but it is intended as an injector/fuel system cleaner. As it has concentrated solvents, it is good to clean the system, but I wouldn't use it full time. I have never heard the story of blowing injector tips. I call BS and I would have to reject that absent proof.

Diesel Kleen is a good product for extended use (white in winter, silver when warmer). But one can argue the cost benefit over time.

Two stroke oil is proven to be effective in reducing injector wear over time by virtue of lubrication. There was a test and a chart somewhere that showed the results using the steel ball scratch test (it's an ATSM test I don't recall what it is really called). The two stroke oil was somewhere in the middle of effectiveness compared to other products. But better than fuel alone. Some products will actually increase wear.

Bottom line, do the research yourself and do what you feel is best for you.