3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

New Lift and tires with vibration

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2008, 09:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Lift and tires with vibration

I just picked up my 06 megacab after having a 4.5" Fabtech lift, new FCII 35"s 12.50x18 with Procomp wheels and ajustable track bar. When I get up to 45 MPH i have a loud almost grinding/rattling noise. I checked the truck and found all four wheel caps very loose and spin very freely. Will the caps make that much noise if they are loose or is it something else ? Thanks
Old 07-03-2008, 09:23 PM
Chapter President

Location: misplaced Idahoan stuck in Albuquerque, Roughneckin on RIG 270
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
if they left the wheel caps loose, i would go over the entire truck.
Old 07-03-2008, 09:23 PM

Buddy put a fabtech on his 05 and had a front driveshaft issue. Mine had one with a 6 inch but if u are hearing a grinding noise i would check under the truck and make sure everything is alright
Old 07-03-2008, 09:53 PM

I had to put put some tape aound the center caps edges on my truck. Its not noticeable when on the truck. Its not that the wheel wasn't on right or tight, the cap just wasn't a tight fit.
Old 07-03-2008, 10:05 PM

were they loud before you taped them ?
Old 07-04-2008, 10:15 AM

Well Its not the wheel caps I am thing the carrier bearing needs to be lowered. The vibration does not start until 45 MPH and its driving me crazy.
Old 07-04-2008, 10:16 AM

Or maybe the transfer case needs to be lowered. Has any body had this problem ?
Old 07-04-2008, 10:57 AM

I had the same problem with my 6in kit...needed the transfercase drop bracket from Superlift....fixed the problem. I`m not sure why the 4.5 in kit would do it , but all trucks are a little different.

You may be able to adjust your alignment , and "twist" the axle to help , but then you run the risk of wondering , and tire wear....

did the kit come with new , longer locating bars?
Old 07-04-2008, 11:16 AM

Yes it cam with the upper and lower control arms and it was aligned. Did you also drop the carrier bearing ?
Old 07-04-2008, 02:15 PM

I`ve got a one piece driveshaft , so no carrier bearing....

Is the front axle "centered" in the wheel opening , or is it "pulled back" towards the fender?

Often , even if it`s been aligned to factory specs , it`s not where it should be with a lift installed. A shop that deals with lifted trucks , can often correct it.
Old 07-04-2008, 03:27 PM

The drivers side is pulled back further than the right side by at least a inch. Also the spindels are tilted back some. I have an ajustable track bar that I bought when i first purchesed a leveling kit that i had them install even though the lift came with a relocation bracket. Maybe thats not ajusted right, I dont know whats wrong but the noise is almost a grinding noise like a loose or bad carrier bearing.
Old 07-04-2008, 05:20 PM

That`s the EXACT same noise mine was making.

I wonder if they put the bars in correctly?

Almost sounds like they put the two shorter ones on one side and the 2 longer ones on the other?

....just a thought.
Old 07-05-2008, 08:30 AM

And that took care of it completly ?
Old 07-05-2008, 10:45 AM

With an adjustable track bar on that size lift the axle should be centered right to left and should be equally spaced in the wheel wells on both sides, if its not right, somebody messed up in my opinion.

Adjusting the castor so that the pinion on the axle end of the driveshaft raises a little can help with vibration. But if the lift is not properly installed, who knows.

You should have a short control arm on top and long control arm on bottom on each side. I don't know how any competent shop could get that wrong and if the truck would even be drivable.

Not reinstalling the driveshafts in the same orientation has been said to cause vibrations, not sure if they would have removed them for just a lift install.

Were the wheels and tires properly balanced and why don't the centercaps fit snugly into place on the wheels.

A good place to start(after making sure the lugs are tight) is pull out the front driveshaft and go for a spin. See if the vibration goes away. Its easy and its just four bolts on each end, just mark the shaft so you can put it back in the same orientation. Try not to strip out the torques bits on the axle end.

Keegan
Old 07-05-2008, 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by acman
And that took care of it completly ?
Yep.

Hard to believe ...it`s only MAYBE an inch drop , but it solved it.

Have you taken it back to the shop that did the install?

Quick Reply: New Lift and tires with vibration