3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

New law in Texas?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2009, 03:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry New law in Texas?

My friend just called me telling me that he heard from one of his buddies that a law just passed that diesel require a muffler. Surley this isn't true?
Old 05-07-2009, 03:50 PM

Its really up to the county/inspector to decide if your truck's turbo isnt one(or thats how it used to be).
A turbo used to classify as a muffling device, but im sure its changed by now.

I have yet to have a problem, since diesels are still safety only.
Ive NEVER had a tech look at anything on any of my diesels aside from the normal safety check items.
Old 05-07-2009, 04:04 PM

Yes it has changed the local shops around here turned me down so I asked to see the new law. It states if the vehice is equipped with a muffler and turbo from the factory it must be retained for inspection now. they added it as a note under the turbo is a muffle law. I just went to a hole in the wall place back in the country and passed with flying colors with my straight pipe. just depends on the guy/girl inspecting and how much they don't like straight pipes.
Old 05-07-2009, 05:33 PM

Wasn't Arni from Cali out there a few months ago...
Old 05-07-2009, 08:50 PM

Does the law say where the muffler has to be mounted, or just that it has to be equipped with one? If it states that it has to be equipped with one just throw one in the bed. It is now equipped with one.
Old 05-07-2009, 10:06 PM

Originally Posted by badme
Does the law say where the muffler has to be mounted, or just that it has to be equipped with one? If it states that it has to be equipped with one just throw one in the bed. It is now equipped with one.
I believe they changed the wording to along the lines of "in the factory/stock location"
Cant find the exact wording off hand...

Really though, in Texas with it still being a safety only check I have yet to hear of someone actually looking under there to see if its all still intact, even with it being pretty loud...
Old 05-07-2009, 10:30 PM

im a police officer in texas and yes it's true, they are now requiring a muffler being on the truck, and no the turbo doesn't count as a muffler according to the law. now it is up to the shop itself whether they enforce that just yet. i'm sure they will tighten things up the closer it comes to 2010 haha.
Old 05-08-2009, 04:48 AM

Originally Posted by badme

Is this legit for ALL YEAR diesels or can this be "grandfathered"??
Old 05-08-2009, 06:19 AM

The new law states that if it came from the factory with it, it must have it. I just went through this last time I got my inspection sticker and I live in a small town. It includes catalytic converters and mufflers.
Old 05-08-2009, 06:37 AM

They changed the law here last year. Has to have a muffler in order to pass. Course that depends on the shop you bring it to.
Old 05-08-2009, 06:47 AM

The word I got was from a muffler shop. The muffler has to be a minimum of 12''. If this is true a big 4'' glass pack gutted should work. But on the newer trucks with the catalytic converters I don't know. Gut the converter and the muffler and go on. Anyways it kinda messed up. Good luck.
Old 05-08-2009, 06:52 AM

Makes me glad i kept my factory parts! With movin' all the time, i never know where i'm going to end up and with what LAWS
Old 05-08-2009, 10:52 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well I live in Houston, Harris County. Just got mine inspected last Saturday at a Sticker Stop inspection station. I do have a muffler, but my stack is pretty loud especially inside the garage area.

Inspections are all these guys do. I watched pretty close to see what they actually inspected. They drove it a block and back to test brakes, etc. Drove it into the inspection area, left it running. Checked all the lights, blinkers and horn (mini air horn is loud in a garage area also ). Opened the hood and looked around. (Made comments about the Nitrous Soleniods looked good ). Walked over to the computer and filled out whatever was needed. Turned the truck off and put the new sticker on. Paid my $14.50 and was gone. Good for another year.
Old 05-08-2009, 03:51 PM

This is happening because guys and gals with straight pipes, like to listen to them so much in residential areas. There is a guy a few blocks from me that likes to slowly wind his truck to about 3000 rpm"just a guess" starting in first gear every time and drives down our street in 3rd gear, 2-3 times per evening from 8-11 pm and on the weekends more. I have to say, with me getting up for work at 3am this gets real old. Every person in the area would like to choke the guy. It really gives us diesel guys a bad rap, just as smoking out every intersection where we start from does. There is no way Texas, would pass a law like that, unless lots of people are not happy about it, just like the fart can Honda's. Something to think about as you are driving through a residential neighborhood with your straight piped truck.
Old 05-08-2009, 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by moorepower
This is happening because guys and gals with straight pipes, like to listen to them so much in residential areas. There is a guy a few blocks from me that likes to slowly wind his truck to about 3000 rpm"just a guess" starting in first gear every time and drives down our street in 3rd gear, 2-3 times per evening from 8-11 pm and on the weekends more. I have to say, with me getting up for work at 3am this gets real old. Every person in the area would like to choke the guy. It really gives us diesel guys a bad rap, just as smoking out every intersection where we start from does. There is no way Texas, would pass a law like that, unless lots of people are not happy about it, just like the fart can Honda's. Something to think about as you are driving through a residential neighborhood with your straight piped truck.
This is too true.

For some time now the "idiots" of the diesel performance crowd have showed nothing but DISRESPECT to other drivers, nieghbors, and bikers.

It was always just a matter of time before this stuff started making people mad enough to write letters looking for new laws.

For years I have told guys to keep it on the track, or even the back roads. For years I was laughed at and called paranoid.
Welcome to 2010. When diesels will all be quiet and smoke free. No more fun.

Just want to personally thank every EDIT that thought it was cool to smoke out that cyclist or intersection, and couldn't help but kackle your straight pipes threw a residential area at 1am.
Without you, states and county's wouldn't have thought about the extra income from smogging diesels.

J.D.

Last edited by madhat; 05-08-2009 at 06:45 PM. Reason: S/L

Quick Reply: New law in Texas?