3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

new injectors now, now lots of smoke

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2015, 12:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
new injectors now, now lots of smoke

had new injectors installed 60hp bd diesel ones from the local dealer and after picking the truck up, it kind of seemed to me like the valves were louder under light throttle but would go away once it built boost, but after it built a bit of boost it had a pop and miss to the engine, I would have drove it back right away but the shop was closed by the time I figured the problem out, and then it just stopped poping and started running fine, then 1500km later it started shaking and clanking bad under load and I was 5 minutes from home so I just drove it nicely back and it died in my driveway and would not restart, took it back to the dealer, failed number 6 injector as I had suspected, while capping the injectors when they were testing them the bridge had fallen off on the rockers for number 6 injector, bd warrantied the injector which had a stuck nozzle, and the dealer is trying to tell me the motor is shot, I drove it and its blowing blue smoke but has no blow by, so I thought that should mean that it would be a bent valve or broken push rod. I was then told that the mechanic that did the injector install wasn't a diesel tech and it was his 2nd time doing an injector install on a diesel. does it sound like a valve/head issue rather then melted piston? has a bit ofa stutterthen once it builds up some boost it comes back to life and has power but the bottom end is pretty sluggish, sorry for the long post any help would be appreciated
Old 04-10-2015, 09:20 AM
DTR 1st Sergeant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Seems to me the shop is liable for damages. I don't know the way things work north of the border, but between BD and the shop they should make you whole.
Old 04-10-2015, 09:22 AM
DTR 1st Sergeant

If it was a stuck nozzle, it could very well have torched a piston. A borescope can take a peek with the injector out to give you an idea. If you see something a leak down test for the cylinder would be done. (and should be done anyway). If the bridge fell off, then the valves aren't opening. Should be no valve damage.
Old 04-10-2015, 11:10 AM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Originally Posted by soulezoo
Seems to me the shop is liable for damages. I don't know the way things work north of the border, but between BD and the shop they should make you whole.
Listen to the 1st SGT!....he is making lots of sense here......If this happened off of initial install then they are responsible.
Old 04-11-2015, 01:26 AM

yes i believe that it should be covered as well but "being aftermarket high performance'' injectors they wont do much yet because the truck has 540,000km on it, but it really only has 220,000km on the motor thats in it. they have agreed to pull the head and fiind the problem on their cost and depending on what they find it may get covered.
Old 04-30-2015, 09:20 PM

well ended up being a stuck nozzle, bd warrantied their injector, got the dealer to do a leak down test and pull the head and ended up being the piston was cracked and top ring was busted, believe they said the exhaust valve was bent as well. They want 5700 to hone the cylinder and and put a new piston in number 6, or 3000 to put my other motor out of a wrecked 06 megacab into my 04.5..they have only agreed to eat the bill for the work done up to now, which they are saying is 21 hours of labour to cap the injectors and change the faulty one, and then to do a leakdown test and pull the head. seems like quiet a few hours to me?
Old 05-01-2015, 08:49 AM
DTR 1st Sergeant

Their injector ruined your engine... simple as that. The installing shop isn't at fault, it's the faulty injector.

Doesn't matter if high performance or not, this was clearly a mfg. defect that caused the issue.

You may have to get a legal opinion locally. In my mind, BD should at least get you a good used engine.