3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

New HTT 64/71/13 at the Track

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2007, 02:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Are you sure there's no exhaust leak?
Old 07-23-2007, 02:43 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by lcaad1249
Are you sure there's no exhaust leak?
I've checked at least three times and can't find any signs of a leak. No soot anywhere under the hood.
Old 07-23-2007, 03:07 PM

I'm still learning the Turbo Game, but it seems obvious you're not getting any air under normal driving. I'm currently fueled similiar to you and Brandon at II told my the Silver 62 is not the best choice for me, and that turbo is much smaller than the one you're using. I don't think you will be happy until you add A LOT more fuel, or go down in turbo size to something that's better matched to your current setup.

I know you're planning for future mods, but it seems obvious the turbo should be upgraded when you need it rather than installing a turbo that hurts your current performace. I bet you could go back to the stock turbo and see a much improved performance. My current setup currently runs GREAT and I'm being very careful to not purchase more turbo than I need.
Old 07-23-2007, 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by jrussell
I've checked at least three times and can't find any signs of a leak. No soot anywhere under the hood.
I can't remember but list everything you have done for the motor please. And what setting Smarty is on. I have a FASS 95, TST stacked with a Smarty on sw4. If I run Smarty only with the fass of course, version 03wild stock inj aftermarket turbo the truck is a DOG, you can't hardly take off easy with belchin smoke, and boost will only hit 30lbs SLOWLY. mp8 stacked with smarty on sw7 was really nice, no more boost tho but spooled ALot quicker. TST stacked whole different ball game. Mine is an 03. My turbo has the bigger exhaust housing too. Any way I stack cruising egt's are around 800 degrees. I did however put on the big BD intercooler which dropped egt almost 100 dg., depending on load. I don't think you have a turbo problem, just the wrong combo to make it work. And the stainless Will run hotter than cast housing.
Old 07-23-2007, 07:31 PM

We have stacked the hot juice with the smarty, and it has made a noticeable difference in spooling. Beta didn't do that much, so now we have the smarty on aftermarket turbo with wild tq management. Surges at constant throttle, but pulls strong WOT. We're torn between what direction to take, keep the juice, buy this, buy that, I dunno.

What kind of gains did you see rowlrag? I love the TST on my truck, totally different than a CR but I know they fuel hard.
Old 07-23-2007, 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by Beeram305
We have stacked the hot juice with the smarty, and it has made a noticeable difference in spooling. Beta didn't do that much, so now we have the smarty on aftermarket turbo with wild tq management. Surges at constant throttle, but pulls strong WOT. We're torn between what direction to take, keep the juice, buy this, buy that, I dunno.

What kind of gains did you see rowlrag? I love the TST on my truck, totally different than a CR but I know they fuel hard.
With the mp8 and smarty on 7 or higher it would surge a bit. As far as gains, I guess I'll have too dyno someday, but the TST smarty stack runs awesome, if turn up the TST past 3-3 i can bury the pyro guage, but turned up like that I feel power falls off some. TST on 2-2 or 3-3, rail pressure on 2, timing 9, 05 twins program, Smarty on 4, file Smt4V406D408B36. Rail pressure falls of none, no drop outs either in rp. Right now I'm gonna download the new wild for stock injector aftermarket turbo. I have tried other smarty programs and all sw#'s and always go back to the above, so I'll see what the new file is like.
Old 07-23-2007, 09:19 PM
Banned

jrussel we need more fuel! I dynoed saturday max boost was 40psi but I got my new actuter from High tech I dynoed 456hp an 981tq I was told on a dynojet I could have easily hit over 500. My next mod is going to be dual cp3 and don m's 90hp's. I also sled pulled on sunday And the the pyro only hit 1500. There was virtually no smoke this turbo rocked. I need more fuel and with that this turbo will make enormous power.
Old 07-23-2007, 11:07 PM

We replaced the boost elbow that came with the turbo with one that came with the juice, and saw up to 40 psi, not bad for the altitude. When both power adders are on, the truck pulls very hard, and boost is building faster with this elbow somehow. This is what we were looking for!! Next are some injectors.
Old 07-24-2007, 06:06 PM

your welcome for that bit of advice beerram!
Old 07-31-2007, 09:23 AM
Banned

Just a little update for everyone...

I pulled the turbo off and brought it to HTT. They checked it out and couldn't find anything at all wrong. At that point my only option was to try the smaller exhaust wheel (65 instead of the 71). They changed the wheels for me at no charge.

Got it reinstalled and it's slightly better, but still not right. Dave and Dennis at HTT are stumped as to why it won't perform well on my truck. There are a lot of people out there with the same turbo and same setup and it's performing great. Dave put me in touch with John at Floor-It since he's setup a few trucks just like mine with very good results. After explaining everything to him he said something's definitely not right. I've tried different programming and that doesn't seem to be the issue. The Smarty still performs the best on the truck. John said my 2.5psi of boost at 70mph is low. It also has a constant haze even while cruising at 1900 RPM.

I've checked for exhaust and intake leaks a million times. The only thing I can see is a slight line around half of the boot that connects the turbo outlet to IC piping. Definitely doesn't look like it would leak, but I'm thinking I might as well change all the boots just to help troubleshoot. I checked Piers but they don't seem to list boots for the 3rd gens. Does anyone know the best place to get aftermarket boots for a 3rd gen?

At this point I'm pretty convinced there's just something not right with the truck. It seemed to do well with the stocker, but I've heard changing to a larger turbo can make smaller problems become more pronounced. The only thing left I can think of is a bad injector or two. Now my dilema is do I get some Flux sticks to find out? If that doesn't end up being the problem then I'm stuck with injectors and running a stock turbo...and no more mods except for water injection.

Hopefully John will be able come up with something goofy that's wrong. I really owe a HUGE thanks to John for offering to help me out with this! I've never bought anything from him or even talked to him before, but he is very willing to help get it figured out. One thing is for sure, if it does get fixed and I can continue modding he will have my business!
Old 07-31-2007, 09:49 AM

I have a set of HTT boots sitting around...pm me.
Old 07-31-2007, 04:50 PM
Banned

russel why don't yuo try a boost elbow that might help I'm going to try it
Old 07-31-2007, 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by bluechrome
russel why don't yuo try a boost elbow that might help I'm going to try it

Seemed to help us a little bit, have been running smarty on 6 since, turn up the hot juice when we need the power. Surges at constant throttle, so we only use it for WOT, and it pulls gooooood. I think it just needs a lot of fuel. Hope you get it figured out JRussell.
Old 07-31-2007, 06:40 PM
Banned

I've tried clamping off the WG line. I think that would basically accomplish the same thing?

It might be that the TC is just too tight. I spoke with Richard from Brown's Diesel and he said I would need a TC with stock (or near stock) stall to run a bigger turbo. He said the low boost and haze while cruising at 70mph sounds normal for my elevation. They use and sell Goerend stuff so he has experience with my exact TC and similar turbos. I think I've almost convinced myself that this is the culprit.

Question is what do I do now? I definitely don't want to go back to a stock or near-stock stall TC after having this one. I love the way it drives with the lower stall (at least with the stock turbo). I guess the only option for a turbo upgrade using the current TC would be twins using the stocker.

I must say that the vendors involved in this fiasco have been really great in helping resolve this. Bob was helpful when I first thought it was programming related. HTT offered to let me return the turbo and Dave Goerend offered to swap my TC for another one. You really can't ask for better customer service than that.
Old 07-31-2007, 10:04 PM
Banned

That is good customer servise. Have you thought about more fuel to help. Iknow dumb? but I know it is going to help alot and that's what my next purchase is going to be. Can you say "dual fuel" also Im curios how yuor truck does on a mustang dyno and how your turbo spools on it because you all know as well as I do these bigger snails love more diesel!

Quick Reply: New HTT 64/71/13 at the Track