3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

New HTT 64/71/13 at the Track

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2007, 01:49 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I got the rod adjusted and it will hit 38psi now. Still can't get it spooled with a powerbrake in under 10+ seconds though.
Old 07-13-2007, 02:41 PM

I'd try a little pressure down low... Did you try the boost fooler again?....or calling MP-8....Kerry.
Old 07-13-2007, 02:52 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by abc4yew
I'd try a little pressure down low... Did you try the boost fooler again?....or calling MP-8....Kerry.
Yeah the boost fooler is back on.

The 4.4 version runs pretty high on pressure at idle (9k+). I'm seeing almost 23k while trying to stage. You think it still needs more?
Old 07-13-2007, 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by jrussell
Still can't get it spooled with a powerbrake in under 10+ seconds though.
That's what a low stall converter does with a laggy turbo...
Old 07-13-2007, 05:24 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by dieselram_04
i bent it down some and also adjusted the rod shorter so that helped a bunch!
the wastegate bracket your refering to
Old 07-14-2007, 09:55 AM
Banned

I'm going to try to adjust the rod all the way and see what happens If I don't see over 45psi then the acuater is bad.. Then I got to pull the whole thing out again. How did you guys pull the oil drain out of the block? I hooked it up after turbo was in the truck pain in the but
Old 07-15-2007, 10:08 PM

We have adjusted our wastegate rod for more boost and saw up to about 35 psi. I'm starting to wonder if the actuator is out of alignment as well, I'll try and adjust that. I did powerbrake the truck yesterday, and at about half throttle the tires starting screaming, I don't think I have seen that much tire smoke before.
Old 07-16-2007, 01:05 AM

First of all you cant floor a heavily fueled truck and expect it to spool a large single right away. Ease into the throttle. Second it sounds like the actuators are being set too light. I have been converting them to spring control for twins and even then we have to limit the travel due to the size of the wastegates in the SS housing. It's better to have too much wastegate rather than too little though.
Old 07-17-2007, 10:41 AM

Jim,

I was told that my tubo would run lower boost when on cruise at 70mph and higher temps too. I think that would be normal, bigger turbo would not be spooling as much when idling down the hight way, so that would explain lower boost. Lower boost means less air flow at that speed, so higher temps. Also means less fuel being used at the lower boost, so better MPG. I picked up 2-3 MPG with this turbo on the highway. I've been playing with tunes and settings, but highway and towing is up.
I also think my waste gate is opening a little and I'm loosing boost. I'm going to keep shortning the actuator and see if that helps, then maybe just use the boost elbow a little. I'm not feeling like pulling the turbo off.

Lee
Old 07-18-2007, 04:23 PM

Rob,

You're setup sounds exactly like what I'm wanting, but I was hoping to go with the new stainless steel turbo from HTT (62/13). If you were buying today would you go back with the II Silver 62 or try the HTT SS? Thanks.

Originally Posted by LooseBoltsRob
That'll do it!! It would certainly result in your crazy lag. My II Silver 62 makes 48 psi below 2,000 RPM with just the smarty beta 4.4 and TS MP8 at 50%....stock injectors and CP3. My MAX EGTs in a full 1/4 mile pass is 1250 tops! Get the actuator corrected and bolt it back up...maybe it's still leaking after the fix you did. It shouldn't bend that easily though...at least not on my Silver 62. The preload that exists from the actuator on the wastegate flapper is pretty extreme. You cannot even think about removing it off the flapper w/o connecting my air compressor to the vacuum line and throwing some pressure at it to release the preload.
Old 07-21-2007, 01:33 PM
Banned

UPDATE: Just loaded the new 4.09 aftermarket injector/turbo version of Wild and took it for a spin on #9. Now it will spool-up with a powerbrake with no problem! Here we come Test & Tune!

EGT's in town are a little better than the BDTD, but still out of control. I basically have to manually shift it to keep the RPM's up or it'll hit 1300+. This is driving with an egg under my foot just trying to get up to 40mph. I'm talkin' so slow that everyone else is either passing me or stuck behind me in the smoke screen and not happy about it.

I guess I'll try some injectors and hope those help. I know this turbo is too big for my current setup and that's why it's not performing well, but it's hard to believe adding more fuel via injectors is going to cool down my in-town EGT's. That's what they tell me though...
Old 07-21-2007, 05:30 PM

I just installed a Silverbullet with just a Triple Dog and Stage 3 CP3 and it has no problems spooling and have yet to go over 1200*. It only smokes for a second or two if I hammer it at 1500 rpms and then takes off. So I would think it has something to do with the turbo, but thats just my two cents.
Old 07-21-2007, 06:21 PM

Does not sound right still. No way you should be seeing 1,300 deg. that easy. What elevation above SL are you at??

Your mods should be fine for that turbo. I don't see how more fuel is going to be the answer when its smoking so bad now. Nah....... look for something else.
Old 07-23-2007, 01:25 PM

It is not always easy driving a heavily fueled truck...

You should see the mess I can make now if I floor it during an off boost/locked up situation.

Just give it time. My top 64 is loosening up quite bit by 500-1000 miles...spooling quicker.
Old 07-23-2007, 01:43 PM
Banned

I think there's definitely something up with the turbo. Just not sure what it could be. I've cranked the WG down, clamped off the line, and even lashed it closed with wire. It seems to me that would eliminate any actuator or WG creeping issues?

Fueling is the same as it was with the stocker and the lag doesn't really bother me at all. It's just the EGT's (and smoke) down low that's the big problem. I should take a video of the EGT's for you guys. I've never seen anything like it. Driving by the gauge just to get around town.

Quick Reply: New HTT 64/71/13 at the Track