3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

New Gauges installed with PICS

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2008, 07:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have just completed my isspro triple guage installation on my 2003 truck. The install was pretty much as everyone else on the site has reported.

Transmission Probe:
I started with the transmission probe and I decided to install mine in the hot line to the transmission cooler so I could get an idea of how hot the maximum temperature of the fluid is. I used a brass tee to tap into the ½” OD line and then installed the probe in the branch. The probe just touches the flow of fluid past it. I lost about 1 litre of transmission fluid and that’s when I found out that I have to go to the Dodge Dealership for the ATF+4 fluid. Overall it was a fairly straight forward job.

Pyrometer Sensor:
This was the part that I wasn’t looking forward to since it meant drilling into the manifold at some point. I have scoured the forums and finally made my mind up to install it between the 3rd and 4th cylinders on the top of the manifold. I had read that this was probably the easiest location but not necessarily the most accurate. When I went out to do the install I decided to try and install in the vertical downpipe from the 1st and second cylinders (nearest to the firewall) and I found that by pulling the wheel well liner I was able to get a straight shot at the manifold (without removing the wheel) and was able to drill my 7/16th hole for my ¼” NPT threads. I then tapped the hole and installed the pyro sensor.

Boost Screw:
This was the easiest of the three to do since it only involved removing one bolt and replacing it with the boost screw. It has a hollow center to allow the “boost” to travel to the gauge.

Gauges and Wiring:
The gauges are extremely simple to install in the new pillar and the factory pillar comes off with only two bolts. The wiring for the gauge illumination is easily tapped into and located using a test light. I also pulled the dash face off around the radio and heating controls to access the wiring to the cigarette lighter. This is where I tapped my power to the gauges. (The pyro and transmission sensors require power)

After tucking all the wires away and taking the truck for a test run I found that the transmission guage takes about 3 – 4 minutes of driving to even start moving while the pyro and boost gauges jump to life immediately. My truck only has the mods listed in my signature which do not include and power boxes.

My pyro gauge reads 300 – 350 at idle and between 600 - 900 during regular city driving. It went as high as 1100 under WOT. This makes me think that those that install their pyro probe in another location may be enjoying a false sense of security.

The transmission sensor reads between 150 –160 under normal driving but under a full boost launch went all the way up to 220.

The boost gauge is giving about 22 psi of boost under normal to heavy driving and up to 24 or 25 at WOT.

I plan to get a better baseline of my temperatures before pulling the trigger on a Smarty.
Old 03-16-2008, 07:10 PM

Nice write up

I like the Isspros

Match the factory gauges really well

Is that the preferred place to tap into for tranny temp? Did you cut the line and flare both sides and insert the tee?
Old 03-16-2008, 07:10 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sounds right, mine runs 275-350* at idle and 550-950* on the highway. My temps haven't changed much compared to the stock turbo, a little hotter, but still can't get it past 1200* with the smarty on #9 moderate.
Old 03-16-2008, 07:19 PM

Nice writeup and pics.

I noticed the same reaction with the tranny gauge on my 05 as well.

The installer I took it to put the probe in the tranny and it takes a little bit

before the gauge shows anything.

Mine usually sits around 160-170.
Old 03-16-2008, 08:56 PM

Looks awesome! If you don't mind where did you get them and how much. I think that will be one of my next mods.
Old 03-16-2008, 09:04 PM

Looks good. Question about your tranny temp fitting. Did you use compression fittings or flare fitting? Now all you need is a smarty......go for it.
Old 03-16-2008, 09:30 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by susee80
Looks awesome! If you don't mind where did you get them and how much. I think that will be one of my next mods.
if it helps, www.dieselmanor.com is kinda like the headquarters for gauge kits. They have honest fair prices.
Old 03-16-2008, 09:33 PM

I paid about $420 CDN from PDR in Langley, BC Canada for everything that was required except for some wiring . The tranny probe is secured with compression fittings. I thought about using flare but felt the compression would be adequate. If I was to have any problems I would order the replacement tube from DieselManor