3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

New dually tires

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2008, 07:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
what size spacers are you guys running with 35 on your duallys
Old 05-13-2008, 07:46 PM

I run a 2"
Old 05-13-2008, 08:11 PM

Gonna try a set of Michelins!

I've had a great ride with 46k on my stock tires. Time to put on a set of Michelin LTX...probably gonna run about $1500 mounted & balanced.
Old 05-13-2008, 10:57 PM

I've got my Arrowcraft spacers but haven't put in a levelling kit yet, will the 35's fit up front in the meantime?
Old 05-14-2008, 02:17 AM

I guess i should start looking into spacers. How much are you paying for them and where?
Old 05-14-2008, 09:53 AM

Wrong again...

Have you read the testing proceedures for tire ratings? The only thing that makes an E and E over a D is the max test pressure. 80 psi is the max for E tires (it does not have to be...but we all know air is our friend when supporting a load) and the max for D is 60 or 65 psi...I can't remember off hand. Heck...E's are tested at a lower speed too!

I have read all 1000 or so pages refering to this subject (I kinda have to know the stuff since my company fabricates over the road fuel transport tanks as well as many other things.

There is NOTHING squirmy or ILLEGAL of running a tire with an adequate load rating...regardless of D or E classification. In no way or how is a 3200 lb load rated E better than a 3700 lb D...no way. Mileage is rated seperatley...so it is worthless to throw in that comment. WAP probably had a off road tire...while you had an highway tire.

BTW...my last set of BFG MT 37's lasted 75 k...and still have a 1/4" of tread. They have been over loaded...and over spun under a 600 hp plus truck. I have cut the sidewall open with a cutiff wheel as well as an old pair of OEM tires to compare...I need to find the picture. The proof is in the pudding. The OEM wall is so thin and flexible in comparison...its scary.

Do yourself a foavor...read all of the testing and rating proceedures BEFORE you make a blanket statement like that. Heck...you should read the Federal CFR's as well...to make your self familiar with the legality of the issue.

hint...if you have a tire that is LOAD RATED for 1/2 (or 1/4 on a dual wheel) of the scale axle load...your going to be just fine.
Old 05-14-2008, 01:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Good answer!Thats what I wanted to hear.Someone with some tire education.Not somebody expressing their uneducated opinion!
Old 05-14-2008, 01:43 PM

By the way guys.I have a 1 1/2" arrowcraft wheel spacer that works fine if you also use a 1/4 " spacer.No need to cut the studs.Got it from a buddy that ran it on his 06 dually.The 2" is just a little too much space for 285's.Looks a little funny to me.Only need 1 3/4" to clear the factory studs.Will run the 1/4" on the hub first,then the inner wheel , then the 1 1/2" and then the outer wheel.Its amazing the difference a 1/2" makes in the looks.
Old 05-14-2008, 01:43 PM

Anyone got any pics of their dually's with bigger tires on the stock rims?

Thanks,

Dustin
Old 05-14-2008, 04:35 PM
wap

cquested, you are right, I pretty much only run mud tires on everything I own, but I kinda figured I was done. No since in argueing, I now what works for me, just tryin to help a fellow member with some decisions, but heck I wil admit I am wrong if it makes Rick feel better.

Homewrecker, I now of other people doing the same as you and even with 305s on my truck the 2" gap was a bit much for my taste.

I would NOT go anywhere but arrowcraft. Super helpful and I have had over 20k behing my truck and had the outside dual on one side holding up all the weight because it was on a bank and the inside tire was about 2" off the ground and I have had ZERO problems with mine. The only downside is you need to bore the ouside rims but its simple and they give you the tool to do it.

Snoxracer, I may have a pic in my gallery but I dont know how well you can see the tires. they will belly out, but the simulators make it look better to me cause you cant see quite how far the tire has to go to get to the rim.
Old 05-14-2008, 04:44 PM

[QUOTE=cquestad;2081813]Wrong again...

Have you read the testing proceedures for tire ratings? The only thing that makes an E and E over a D is the max test pressure.
I have read all 1000 or so pages refering to this subject (I kinda have to know the stuff since my company fabricates over the road fuel transport tanks as well as many other things.

There is NOTHING squirmy or ILLEGAL of running a tire with an adequate load rating...regardless of D or E classification.

. Do yourself a foavor...read all of the testing and rating proceedures BEFORE you make a blanket statement like that. Heck...you should read the Federal CFR's as well...to make your self familiar with the legality of the issue

hint...if you have a tire that is LOAD RATED for 1/2 (or 1/4 on a dual wheel) of the scale axle load...your going to be just fine.[/QUOTE]

1 have you read the test procedure? if you did you would know the differance between 65 psi and 80 psi max. The e rated tire has a stronger carcass to handle the weight and psi!

2 wrong again running a d rated tire on a vehicle that requires a E rated tire is illegal. It will not be as stable as e rated tire.

3-4 wrong again!

ps I own and operate a repair/tire shop. I think I know a little more about this than you.

ps again make sure you know what you are talking about before posting nonsence on here, I'd hate to see someone get hurt running the wrong load range tires!
Old 05-14-2008, 04:54 PM

The key is that the load carrying capacity has to match the weight of the vehicle.

So in theory you could put a set of 'B' classification tire on a one ton dually so long as the actual weight rating is high enough to carry the truck. The handling characteristics and wear life would be terrible, but it would be legal.

For example the first set of tires I wore off of my truck were a set of LT265/75R17E Toyo Open Country AT's, and they wore and handled extremely well for what I was doing (about 80,000km with large amounts of non-pavement mile and occasional towing of 14,000lb plus trailers) so when they wore out I thought I would go up one size. So I put on a set of LT285/70R17D Toyo Open Country AT's thinking I would get similar performance. Well, not quite. They don't feel as stable cornering at speed, and it looks like I am only going to get about 60,000km out of them running the same roads and not pulling the trailer not nearly as much.

Bottom line is that the D rated tires work, have enough carrying capacity, etc but they are not as durable a tire.
Old 05-14-2008, 04:57 PM

IF you don't haul or tow with your truck a D rated tire would be adequate, but if you do the D rated tire will not handle the weight near as good as the correct E rated tire will.
THey do make larger E tires but they do cost a lot more!

As far as being legal, inside your driver door is a tire label,
it states the required tire rating and psi for you truck.
In PA your tires can be larger and stronger than stock but it's illlegal to run lighter weaker tires.
You can not get truck inspection with the wrong load range tires.

Yes I see guys all the time wanting me to install C and D tires on their trucks, it just comes down to them being cheap!

cquestad, if D rated cost the same as E rated which would you put on your truck????? Thats a no brainer E is a stronger tire! Dig a little deeper.
Old 05-14-2008, 05:23 PM

"1 have you read the test procedure? if you did you would know the differance between 65 psi and 80 psi max. The e rated tire has a stronger carcass to handle the weight and psi!"

If you re-read ALL of my post...you will see that I brought that up. The strength of the carcass has nothing to do with the test pressure...PERIOD.
Do you know how PSI and weight supported go hand and hand? If you know anythign about contact patch...a larger one carry carry the same weight with less psi than a small contact patch. Sidewall deflection is where heat comes from...blah blah blah. I could go on for hours...quote pages...do math...show pictures...talk about belt angle...etc etc. You probably woudn't understand anyways. That is why I design stuff...and you sell/install it.

"2 wrong again running a d rated tire on a vehicle that requires a E rated tire is illegal. It will not be as stable as e rated tire."

Wrong...THERE IS NOTHING THAT STATES THAT IN THE CFR's! Show me the page! Define stable? There is not a skid pad test on a loaded tire anyways...
This last statement of yours is nothing but opinion...and a wrong one at best.
Explain to me again how a load range E rated at 3200 lbs could out perform a load range D rated at 3500-3700 lbs?

"3-4 wrong again!"

Want to do a 3d finite element stress analysis on the tires! I love too!

"ps I own and operate a repair/tire shop. I think I know a little more about this than you."

Remember...Dodge has sales staff that own and operate dealerships...heck they even have service "technicians", but in NO WAY to they know half of what they think they do. That part is up to the nerds like me that hide behind walls of books, $10,000 dollar software programs, and decades of experience. I just so happen to be a redneck version of that nerd...lol.

"ps again make sure you know what you are talking about before posting nonsence on here, I'd hate to see someone get hurt running the wrong load range tires!"

Did you know load range is going to be scaled out just like ply rating was? Load range is almost useless babble with todays new materials and design technology. But...I guess just like now...when people still try to talk ply's... tire shop owners and all...they are just holding on to the past.

Have a nice day...I would love to discuss this off line...or at least have you produce SOME literature that backs anything you have said.

PS...do you know what CFR even stands for? CFR 49 to be exact.

It sems like I went through this with somebody a year ago...and actually had to post page numbers and excepts before he/she "disapeared"...
Old 05-14-2008, 05:34 PM

I haven't seen any proof of anything from you. I do this for a living not read some misinformation on the net and spread it out as gospel.

Run what you want! I don't care! Just don't tell fellow DTR members that running the wrong tire is a smart thing to do.

Try a little research, type in "Whats the differance between d and e rated tires" you will easily get educated on this.
Good Luck!

Quick Reply: New dually tires