3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

new to diesel

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2005, 09:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
new to diesel

Hey guys, I just got my new 05 Cummins 4x4 this week and so far I love it. I am interested in the chips for increased power and MPG. But, I don't want to add a ton of stuff to the truck. I just want something simple that plugs in and I really don't have to add all of the gauges, etc. I have been reading alot of your posts. Is there one chip that would fit my needs better than the other. Also does this void my warranty? My friend has a powerstroke and he added one to his and the Ford dealership actually put his in and they said it did not. Does Dodge have thier own chip they will put in? Thanks for all of your input and suggestions. Any comments on the Banks power chips/units vs. Edge Juice, or I have been reading alot about these Quad boxes in this forum?

Thanks
Old 04-25-2005, 09:23 PM

Welcome aboard Sam...
I took delivery of mine in January and think it's awesome too I don't know of a chip or box that Dodge sells or would install. I did ask my dealer about what I can and can't do regarding warranty. The way he explained it to me, was that I could do whatever I wanted, but if a breakdown or repair issue could be attibuted to my mod, no coverage. You become your own warranty station. That's why I settled on the Quad box. It takes all of 10-15 minutes to install OR remove. Take it off before visiting the dealer and none should be the wiser It will be recommended to you that if you do any hauling or bombing, that gauges are a must and I agree. Just put some in this past weekend. Dealer will probably like the idea too.
Good luck and enjoy your truck!
Old 04-25-2005, 09:25 PM

Forgot to mention... Make sure you click on the user cp (control panel) above and create your signature so we all know what you're running and what you've done to your truck
Old 04-26-2005, 12:40 PM

get a superchips if all you want is a little get up-and-go
Old 04-26-2005, 06:38 PM

Gauges are pretty much a good idea with any chips or even on a stock truck because they tell you things you can't know any other way. For example the EGT gauge tells you when the exhaust gases are getting too high, but is also used to judge cool down before shutting the truck off to increase the life of the turbo.

As for modifications for mileage, replace the factory muffler with an Aeroturbine and better intake air system like the Scotty RA5 and Turbo Air Guide. If you get a fueling box, get the gauges. Either the Banks Six-Gun or Edge Juice are good boxes to help with mileage and power. Keep in mind that in some cases a fueling box may compromise warranty issues depending on what the warranty is for and the dealer.