3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

New to the CTD world, a few questions?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2006, 10:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New to the CTD world, a few questions?

I have had my 06 Ram 3500 Quad Cab 4x4 for about a week and love it. I'm new to the whole diesel motor. I did put a 2in leveling kit on to level the truck. I would like to keep it stock for the most part. I do tow a 12,000lb toy hauler a few times a month. I was thinking of getting an intake and free flow muffler (since the stock pipe is already 4in). These are the only mods I plan on doing, I will get some gauges though. What intake do you recommend for a stock motor, and what muffler(I want it to be a little louder but with no diesel drone).I could leave it stock if there is no advantage to muffler and intake. Thanks. Here is my truck, before leveling kit.

Old 02-25-2006, 10:45 PM

ive got quads intake and its great and not very much turbo noise. ive heard the mbrp muffler is good ,not to loud. my uncle has the hole system. and nice truck, youll like it
Old 02-26-2006, 09:15 AM
dgm

I put the Aeroturbine 4040 in place of my muffler. I haven't replaced the intake yet. I'll do that when its time to replace my stock filter I suppose, but I don't know what I'll do yet either. The 4040 is great. The truck is a little louder at idle, but when I get on it, its pretty loud. I'm not bothered by any drone in the cab, even though its a little louder when cruising than it was when stock.

As far as I know, changing out the muffler will have little to no performance effect.

-daniel
Old 02-26-2006, 10:30 AM

for exhaust try out Rip's kit. http://www.sourceautomotive.biz/ he is a good guy and deep into the diesel. I think I am going to the shorty soon.

as for intake, I have left that stock with stock power. many people go with AFE or others. I am thinking I will just do the big 4" hole in the bottom on the stock housing, then a abs pipe down. There should be posts on that somewhere here.

good luck, nice truck. You cant stop with just one mod. LOL
Old 02-26-2006, 05:01 PM

Talking

Thanks for the info..Anybody else?
Old 02-26-2006, 05:47 PM

Hey! Welcome from another not so old member. I did a Magnaflow muff which is basically a glasspack. On mine, not much louder than stock; good sound when you get on it. Some will say its louder than I imply.

On intake, if you're gonna get a new intake anyway, try a "Swiss Cheese"
hole/holes bored in stock airbox.Although I run a amzoil filter, I think if I were doing it over I'd go with a AFE proguard 7 stk replacement. From my research,
its the best IF you retain the stock box. Thats worth a shot before you blow mucho$$$ for an aftermarket air system.

If you like turbo whine(I personally don't) look at pulling silencer ring on turbo.

You can find GOBS of info. doing a "Search" on this site.

Godd Luck!
Old 02-27-2006, 07:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by YFZPILOT
I have had my 06 Ram 3500 Quad Cab 4x4 for about a week and love it. I'm new to the whole diesel motor. I did put a 2in leveling kit on to level the truck. I would like to keep it stock for the most part. I do tow a 12,000lb toy hauler a few times a month. I was thinking of getting an intake and free flow muffler (since the stock pipe is already 4in). These are the only mods I plan on doing, I will get some gauges though. What intake do you recommend for a stock motor, and what muffler(I want it to be a little louder but with no diesel drone).I could leave it stock if there is no advantage to muffler and intake. Thanks. Here is my truck, before leveling kit.

Beautiful rig!
The masses seem to prefer MBRP or AeroTurbine by far at this forum.
Mike
###
Old 02-27-2006, 07:40 PM

I have the MBRP and the Scotty 5 intake. I have no problems with either. They work as advertised.
Old 02-27-2006, 08:29 PM

Nice truck, mine looks exactly like yours except i put the power wagon fender flares, and 285 toyos on it. I plant to put on MBRP, as i had it on my ford and loved it, have heard good things about it on the dodge too. As far as intakes i was thinking about doing the afe later on down the road, seems that most people are liking the results they are getting from them.
Old 02-28-2006, 10:16 AM

Nice lookin' truck! I did an Aeroturbine 4040L for a muff delete. Very happy with it. A little louder, lower, at idle and when you romp on it. And no drone! As for the intake, I did a BHAF (do a search).
Old 02-28-2006, 12:03 PM

I tried to straight-pipe my truck, similar to my older 2nd gen. I thought I was going to hang myslef before I got home. Way too loud, sounded like butt. In a hurry for a replacement, I ordered a banks turbo-back. I ended up getting a killer deal on it. It is a nice piece, a little louder than stock. It seemed to take some time to break-in. At first it had that muffled goofy sound that others have reported. It seems like it has worn in a little and it sounds ok.
To each his own..
Old 02-28-2006, 12:39 PM

Talking

volant intake. MBRP muffler.
Old 02-28-2006, 02:38 PM

Location: Dayton, NJ (temporarily while In USCG on Staten Island)
Stack It... , sweet truck. I like the silver. My buddy just got an 06. Pretty impresive rig. We are dealing with the same issue on his rig. He doesn't want it too loud, just a good tone. Me, well I am just not right.

Stephen