3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

New CB-SmartyPoD Mounts

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2009, 11:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've got a similar cb setup, and ironically just dealt with the bar SWR meter problem yesterday. I have a firestick firefly 4' antenna, and can't get it better than 1.7 on channel 1, 1.85 on channel 40, and 1.2 on channel 19. I had a firefly on it before this antenna as well, and found it shorted out. That one I had tuned to 1.2 - 1.3 accross the board. I think I might have smoked my well tuned up Cobra 29 when the antenna shorted. I didn't know I was having a problem until I got sick of not being answered. Now I'm suspect that my SWR meter sent me in the wron direction.

At any rate, I have a suggestion for your long antenna problem. Take the adjustment screw our alltogether. I've had the best luck with a few of them after taking the screw out completely, rather than cutting the wire.
Old 01-12-2009, 11:20 AM

And if you get a Parrot 3200 bluetooth kit, you won't need to put the crackberry on the dash. That way the dang blinking light won't have you reading emails while driving. Trust me on that one. I just figured out how to make the Parrot's work right in our trucks. Let me know if you want pointers on it. I'm going to update my Parrot instal post from a long time ago.
Old 01-12-2009, 12:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by BMH95
I've got a similar cb setup, and ironically just dealt with the bar SWR meter problem yesterday. I have a firestick firefly 4' antenna, and can't get it better than 1.7 on channel 1, 1.85 on channel 40, and 1.2 on channel 19. I had a firefly on it before this antenna as well, and found it shorted out. That one I had tuned to 1.2 - 1.3 accross the board. I think I might have smoked my well tuned up Cobra 29 when the antenna shorted. I didn't know I was having a problem until I got sick of not being answered. Now I'm suspect that my SWR meter sent me in the wron direction.

At any rate, I have a suggestion for your long antenna problem. Take the adjustment screw our alltogether. I've had the best luck with a few of them after taking the screw out completely, rather than cutting the wire.
I first removed the round lock nut on the adjustment screw and screwed it in all the way. This improved to where I am at now. When I removed the screw completely it got worse on the high channels. Not sure what is up with that. I should be able to cut an inch off the cable and retest. Should have plenty off adjustment to go longer with the screw. I am also going to get a 3' antenna, 4' is just too long for around town.
Old 01-12-2009, 03:07 PM

I've been playing around with the lengths too. I've got a 2' that I run most of the time, because I can get in and out of the garage if I need to work on the truck. I have acceptable SWR's with that one, but it doesn't hear or get out very well. I have a couple of 3' as well, but I use the 4' one if I don't think I'll need to take it off for a while or am going on a trip. The higher the better for transmission range, but practically a 2' will work for short distances. My radio is putting out about as much as you can put out in the stock chassis, and it still doesn't get far with the short antennas. The 4' really lets it range well, however.

I was told last night that my radio sounded sick, so I need to take it in and see if I fried it.
Old 01-12-2009, 04:26 PM

I am jealous! Not because this is way cool but, because you have green leaves on the trees and green grass too in January! It'll be another 5 months before I see that up here! LMAO!

Nice looking installs by the way!
Old 01-12-2009, 05:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Diesel fitter
I am jealous! Not because this is way cool but, because you have green leaves on the trees and green grass too in January! It'll be another 5 months before I see that up here! LMAO!

Nice looking installs by the way!
Heck! It got down to 32* last night here. That is way too cold for Houston. Might even see some high 20s this weekend.
Old 01-12-2009, 11:21 PM

Y.eh cold here too. 71 tomorrow and lows in the 40's LOL. Ram your set up look good. Your like me got way to many gagets to play with