3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

New to the board and looking for mod help

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2006, 03:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New to the board and looking for mod help

I am new here and have done some reading and searching but have not found the information that I am looking for. I am looking to get a little more out of the 04 Dodge 3500. It has the 600 Cummings in it. I do a lot of towing with it and it is still under warranty. I want something that will not void my warranty or that can be easily removed for warranty work. I want to keep the truck reliable and as close to stock sounding as possible "I like how quiet it is for a diesel". I want to have more HP and get more MPG, I don't expect the world just a little. I am looking for mostly more MPG while towing and more HP wile just driving around town if possible. I have been reading up on the usual "Bully dog, Super Chips, Banks, Edge, etc” all of them seem to really claim some great HP numbers but don't really mention much about towing, MPG, or reliability numbers. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Old 02-12-2006, 04:44 PM

Let me be the first to say welcome to the site.....Now that we have that out of the way it is NOT Cummings...It's Cummins. It seems that the Edge Juice\attitude combo is a great combo for this truck. Do a search and you will find a wealth of info on this subject. Good luck and happy modding.
Old 02-12-2006, 04:49 PM

First off, you commited the ultimate sin in your first ever post. Drop the "G"! It's "Cummins"

No box will keep you from getting your warranty void if the dealer wants to give you a hard time. Most are easily removed for the trip to the dealer. My old EZ box, for instance, could be removed in two minutes.
I have yet to find a box that will improve mileage although others claim miraculous gains once they plug one in. The EZ box dropped my mileage 2 points and screwed with my overhead really badly. The Quadzilla on the lower setting only drops it by .5 mpg but it also messes with the overhead readings. . The Van Aaken box actually keeps the mileage the same and doesn't screw with the overhead readout. There are others out there but these are the ones I have used. Keeping your foot out of it will net you the biggest mpg gain. Once you plug a box in it's hard to do though......

My 2 cents.......
Old 02-12-2006, 04:50 PM

Dand Lordchaos. You beat me to it. Now he's gonna think we're ganging up on him!!!
Old 02-12-2006, 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by Dodgezilla
Dand Lordchaos. You beat me to it. Now he's gonna think we're ganging up on him!!!
Well he will never make that mistake again.....hopefully...
Old 02-12-2006, 05:08 PM

[QUOTE=Lrdchaos]it is NOT Cummings...It's Cummins.QUOTE]

Sorry about that one guys. I do know better. I just suck at this typing/spelling thing If I am not going to get much from a "tuner" will an intake or exhaust do much for me in those areas? If so what one will keep the noise to a minimum. Any suggestions are welcome. Thanks again.
Old 02-12-2006, 05:18 PM

That is what I have been pondering, I don't want to void my warranty, but feel I need to do something. I have been looking into a Afe stage2 intake, banks techni-cooler, High ram, and monster exhaust. All the stuff is pricy, but it will lower the egts and set up a good foundation for when I choose to put a tuner on the truck. I would figure it would help with acceleration and maybe even fuel mileage, being that I could get air in and air out a lot easier. I like the banks exhaust I had it on my 02 and it was great, although I have read some post where it seems to be loud on the 03+ trucks.

As far as the tuner goes you will get a lot from a tuner, so much it will place added strain on you transmission. Of course the amount of power you get will depend on what tuner you choose. With the edge juice\attitude I have read where levels 4 and 5 cause slippage of the tc.
Old 02-12-2006, 05:23 PM

Running a moderate box like an EZ on the lower settings, you really don't need an intake or exhaust but it's always nice. You could always just swiss cheese the bottom of the airbox for a little more airflow. The first thing I did with my truck was install the Magnaflow muffler. It made it a little louder but it sounds pretty good.
Old 02-12-2006, 05:33 PM

How well do the boxes like the EZ\Juice do with towing, or should I stick with stock settings while towing?
Old 02-12-2006, 07:17 PM

Definatly not. The Juice, as I can speak from experience, helps in all of the areas you mentioned with the exception of mpg. I have heard it helped some guys get a few more numbers but I sure dont see it. Also the slippage will happen if you play hard in the fourth and fifth settings.

Keep the juice on 2 when towing and you will be fine. If you dont plan to mod the snot out of it (most dont until they get the first one) then I would suggest you go with a towing box like the quad zxt. Its cheap, has great tech. support and I havnt heard of any customers that felt dissapointed after their purchase. It is what the average Joe would be happy with. But this modding thing WILL bite you if you keep wanting more. And you will. Once you see how easy it is to make power with these things it is hard to just be satisfied.

I do tow quite a bit and have nothing but good things to say. You get gauges, more power, safty, and the ability to upgread, HOT, if you do catch the bug. Bully Dog DownLoader is the same but I here it is easier to get caught at the dealership with since it reprograms your ecm.

As far as taking it off at the dealership, well thats up to your dealer and although it is easy to remove the box, you still end up with an egt probe in your manifold, and a then you would have to try to get the velcro off your dash and so forth. But who knows maybe your dealer and techs are cool and will let it fly. That is a big concern for you warranty guys though. Hope this helps.
Old 02-12-2006, 07:32 PM

a free flowing intake and exhaust will help your turbo spool faster and keep your EGTs a bit lower. By the way if you tow lots before you put in and kind of box you need to install guages or a box with a monitor. The VA box seems to be a good choice or maybe the quad tow box. I have the quad 30-60-100 box and let me say the 30 hp setting never gets used.Im sending it in to be flashed with the race prog. Quad makes nice stuff and they have a rep that posts on here all the time.They take good care of all of us. Whatever your choice make sure you know your temps.

By the way once you start you wont stop adding the power. LOL I was just goin to ad a box too. now look at me. Ill be into it for 15k by the time im done.LOL oh well it keeps me out of trouble.