3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

New Bilsteins are in

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2006, 10:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Bilsteins are in

I put new Bilstein 5100's on front and back. It has made a huge difference in ride and stability. Rears were easy (45 minutes) Fronts (3 hours) it was my first time. Dodge is still putting on sub-par shocks (I remember my 02), with one arm I could plunger the old ones but the Bilsteins take all my body weight and I'm 250 pounds. Has anyone swapped out the front stabilizer and noticed a difference? I'm thinking I should do that, seeing the quality of factory parts.
Old 01-05-2006, 11:21 AM

I was thinkin of going to the fox or swayaway shox but they are a bit pricey and im not quite that hard on the truck. I am going offroadin for the first time this weekend in this truck (05) did you compare before you purchased? what do you think? how much dough? through who?
Old 01-05-2006, 12:26 PM

Ive been thinking of the Bilstein's when my truck has a few miles on it. I have a very bad lower back, and Im willing to do anything to help the ride. So were these shocks worth the extra dollars for the ride quality?? I was actually looking into a drivers side air ride suspension for my seat like the big rigs to help with the harshness.

Do these shocks hold up to the towing capabilities of these trucks?? I already put on BFG 285 KO's, and that helped with the ride, but more helo would be great.

....Yea, Yea, I know it's a heavy duty truck, and its not gonna be a Caddy, but any little bit helps!!
Old 01-05-2006, 12:31 PM

What types of differences did you notice, less bounce etc etc?
Old 01-05-2006, 02:40 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I am watching this thread too. I have been considering changing out my stockers for Bilsteins. Geno's Garage is now selling shocks for our trucks but I am not sure if they are the 5100s.

Can I ask how much you paid and where you got them?
Old 01-05-2006, 03:02 PM

I have the Bilsteins on both my 01's and am going to put them on my 03--they are like a Timex watch--they take a liking and keep on ticking--(guess your going to have a few years on you to relate to that one.)
I also have the air ride seat on my 01 3/4 ton and have one for my 03 dually, but haven't had time to put it in yet.
These big trucks will ride like (or better) than a Caddilac with the Bilsteins and air ride seats.
Old 01-05-2006, 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by MonroeDiesel
I put new Bilstein 5100's on front and back. It has made a huge difference in ride and stability. Rears were easy (45 minutes) Fronts (3 hours) it was my first time. Dodge is still putting on sub-par shocks (I remember my 02), with one arm I could plunger the old ones but the Bilsteins take all my body weight and I'm 250 pounds. Has anyone swapped out the front stabilizer and noticed a difference? I'm thinking I should do that, seeing the quality of factory parts.
I installed the windecker steering stabilizer and a rancho steering shock stabilizer,seemed to help for tighter handleing.I have had the bilsteins 5100,s on for about 8 months,very happy with them also .coobie

Trending Topics

Old 01-05-2006, 11:13 PM

Hey guys! For you guys with the Bilsteins? Do they allow anymore body roll than stock. I do feel the ride is slightly harsh at times because my truck has the snowplow spring package, but I am impressed with the lack of body roll with the stock setup and I'd hate to lose that by switching to a softer shock. Thanks for any info
Old 01-06-2006, 01:06 AM

I got the fronts as a christmas gift from Performance products $80 each, the rears I got from Stranoparts.com $74 each. It is worth the money, the truck has much less bounce and less body roll especially when cornering. My buddy took a ride with me after the install, he has an 03 with 2 inch leveling kit and I think BFG 315's with stock shocks. Lets just say he's ready to order atleast the fronts. We both agreed its a great ride. I have not hooked up my 4 horse gooseneck but from what i've heard in the towing forum it will help alot
Old 01-08-2006, 08:55 AM

Does anyone know the part#'s for the Bilstein 5100's fronts and backs with stock ride height?

Tom
Old 01-08-2006, 09:08 AM
Banned

I'v had these bilstein's for a few years now. My impressions, if you tow heavy they can't be beat, empty your truck is going to ride like a rock. for those of you just getting them it will take a little while for the wow, I got something new to wear off. When it does you will realize these things are stiff. If you use your truck to work and I can't say enough good things about these shocks, but if it's just a drive around town truck I would consider these your worst choice. THEY ARE STIFF. But I have gone way beyond the leagal tow weight with this truck and never squatted it more that 2".
Old 01-08-2006, 09:29 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have to agree with 99cummins. I've put bilsteins on three different vehicles in the past, and they have always been stiffer. The bilsteins make the ride choppier over bumps but hold loads and have less roll in turns... My current suspension is far more forgiving and smooth in all circumstances than stock, however my kore setup is a lot more than just shocks. I'm not saying the bilsteins are inferior to stock, they are definitely better shocks, but I'm just saying to the guy who wants to slightly improve/soften the harsh ride of the truck, these are not going to likely give you the results you desire - once the new factor wears off as mentioned..
Old 01-08-2006, 11:04 AM

so what would you guys recomend to a truck that wants to improve the ride on the street as well as prepare for offroad use. dont tow often at all. Mostlya road warrior
Old 01-08-2006, 04:12 PM

Thats great inof guys, it seems from what you guys say, I would'nt want the Bilsteins.

Lightman, your info says Kore suspension, but what shocks did you go with? are they adjustable shocks. I would like to find adjustabale shocks but I would never want Ranchos.
Old 01-08-2006, 05:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I changed it to say kore suspension because they keep changing the names of their packages and what they contain. I have the kit with bilstein remote reservoir 7100s all the way around...originally called the chase kit..