3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

New Air intake ordered!

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2011, 07:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Air intake ordered!

As title says

Here is what I just ordered from a local shop on the cheap!

http://www.xtremediesel.com/afestage...akesystem.aspx

AFE Stage 2 Cold Air Intake System Type Cx 54-10412

Main reason why I am posting is to ask a few questions.

1. Is this going to improve my turbo whistle? (get louder?)
2. Best filtering options?

1. Looked at Pro Guard 7 (will it fit this kit?)
2. Amsoil filter (will it fit this kit)

I want a Dry filter. Kit comes with a oiled which I am not to particularly fond of.

If anyone has experience with this kit and with the turbo getting louder could you please chime in?

I will be getting this kit on Monday around 1200. I also got a Afe dry filter cleaning kit.
Old 09-30-2011, 09:53 PM

This is the one you want to order then! And yeah it will whistle like crazy, I love mine. http://www.xtremediesel.com/afeprodr...m51-10932.aspx
Old 09-30-2011, 10:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i have heard good things about AFE Stage 2 Cold Air Intake. why may i ask do you want a dry one?
Old 10-01-2011, 04:10 AM

Originally Posted by VP_07SRT8
i have heard good things about AFE Stage 2 Cold Air Intake. why may i ask do you want a dry one?
I tend to forget things lol.. mainly to oil my filter. I have no other real reason other then I am a space cadet
Old 10-01-2011, 08:36 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
you need th throw the afe in the trash and go back stock with a psm kit and the 49946 filter. in the middle of the tube there is a muffler, if you want louder turbo replace this section with a open section from airaid. do not remove the nylon baffles in the elbow at the turbo or the silencer ring. they are there to improve turbo efficiency by reducing side shear. the open box let's in hot under hood air and reduces the amount of air being compressed. nothing on the afe is salvageable and this setup will make a nice sound while improving cold air intake. this pix we changed the box to a 6.7 box to get the deep pleat filter before the 49946 became available

Old 10-01-2011, 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by carl48
you need th throw the afe in the trash and go back stock with a psm kit and the 49946 filter. in the middle of the tube there is a muffler, if you want louder turbo replace this section with a open section from airaid. do not remove the nylon baffles in the elbow at the turbo or the silencer ring. they are there to improve turbo efficiency by reducing side shear. the open box let's in hot under hood air and reduces the amount of air being compressed. nothing on the afe is salvageable and this setup will make a nice sound while improving cold air intake. this pix we changed the box to a 6.7 box to get the deep pleat filter before the 49946 became available

You make it sound like AFE is junk? lol I sure hope not because I ordered that kit already and it was CHEAP. Brand new. I bought the truck used and when I went to check out the air system I noticed the silencer ring and the nylon baffles were already missing. So I drove the truck around for a month or so before using the search button here. Specifically for the baffles in the straight pipe tube. So I removed those as from what I read add real no benefit besides turbo noise reduction. Unless I am way off? I have basically a felt filter on my truck now lol. Thanks dealership.

I noticed your engine bay is pretty dusty. Looks like you do a lot of maybe farm hauling? ATM all I do is city highway driving. From what the search button has showed me, the AFE would be a great match for what I just described.

Thanks!

Jason
Old 10-01-2011, 09:22 PM

I've been running the AFE stage 2 since the truck was new. I have the PG7 with the nylon condom on it. I wash the condom every oil change, & wash the filter every other year, & can white glove everything in my intake system. And yes you can hear the turbo way better than any form of a stock set up. Especially an aftermarket turbo.
Old 10-01-2011, 09:50 PM

Sorry, to jump in the middle of the thread, but...
Carl48, I'm glad you posted that info. I just ordered the Airaid modular intake tube to complete a setup very similar to yours. Good to hear that you like it.
Jason, I think you will be happy with your purchase. Enjoy!
Old 10-01-2011, 10:51 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I hope it was super cheap, becuase the only thing it does over stock is make a whistle..

I dyno'd back to back with a guy who had an identical truck with the only difference being my stock intake and his AFE Stage 2. Needless to say he was ****** at the lack of performance out of the AFE, no gain over stock.

Airaid MIT, GDP Intake Horn, and a Home Deopt CAI will cost less and do LOTS more than an aftermarket intake in the sub 450 rwhp range.
Old 10-02-2011, 01:32 AM

Originally Posted by AH64ID
I hope it was super cheap, becuase the only thing it does over stock is make a whistle..

I dyno'd back to back with a guy who had an identical truck with the only difference being my stock intake and his AFE Stage 2. Needless to say he was ****** at the lack of performance out of the AFE, no gain over stock.

Airaid MIT, GDP Intake Horn, and a Home Deopt CAI will cost less and do LOTS more than an aftermarket intake in the sub 450 rwhp range.
little less then a 100 from what it says in cart! Only reason I got it was cause of price and just a little more then a ******** whistler*
Old 10-04-2011, 05:17 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
clean that engine Carl
Old 10-04-2011, 05:32 PM

Just installed my intake guys.. WOW. this truck is loud! I love it. I had nothing but smiles on when I was driving..

New Air intake ordered!-vvzue.jpg
Old 10-05-2011, 07:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
holy giant picture!!!! looks good
Old 10-05-2011, 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by VP_07SRT8
holy giant picture!!!! looks good

LOL, yea tell me about it! I took that pic with my phone.. I didn't realize it was going to be that big. I think I am going to edit it to a smaller more friendly size...