3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

New 10 lug 22.5" Alcoas are on and Awsome

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2006, 03:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would not ever run recaps on my truck!
It is illegal in some states,if not all to run caps on a front axle. I work in the heavy truck industry, if you saw what a cap does to a trailer, or tractor if it comes off, you wouldn't ever think about it. Even if you run a virgin carcass (first cap on it) it can still come off. A family friend had an old chevy that he ran recaps on the rear. The caps blew off, and blew out the wheel well as well as damaging the fender itself.
Old 02-17-2006, 10:14 PM

Well I have the mod and love the looks. Gets A LOT of attention. While many have said they ride better with the big wheels/tires, I am having problems tracking down a vibration that no one can seem to fix. Feels like a balancing problem but tires had Equal in them for balancing. Went to Balance Masters rings as I had read mixed reviews on Equal. Problem still persisted so I was told that the Equal needed to be removed. Did that and nothing has helped...same symptoms after $500 in "fixes". It appears that my rear hub is not concentric but I haven't taken it in yet as I am sure Dodge will have an excuse on the tires. Video of hub. I have also been told that the tires may need to be shaved to be perfectly round so I may try that next. Anyway, here is a pic of mine (more in the link in my sig):

Old 02-17-2006, 10:23 PM

That looks awsome!
Old 02-18-2006, 12:10 PM

Is It Fast...

Love the toys man.... Got a few questions for you...
1) Did you go through the www.chromewheels.com site to pick up your kit?
2) What did it come with?
3) What did you have to buy?
4) What did it run you (if you don't mind...)?
5) Is there a good place to buy tires online?

Thanks for your time and nice rig..

Jake Lindsay
Old 02-18-2006, 01:54 PM

once again...that truck is starting to get my a lil excited
Old 02-18-2006, 03:00 PM

Jake,

1.) Yes I went through www.chromewheel.com (No S)
2.) It came with everything ready to mount up.
3.) I bought balancing rings as I thought it would help but it didn't so is probably not necessary....though I have heard nothing but good things on them.
4.) The price for everything with shipping was in the neighborhood of about $4500. Price will vary depending on wheels and tires you choose. Expensive yes, but remember these tire will last well over 100K; some get 200K out of them.
5.) I really didn't shop around for separte prices. They are a PITA to mess with so taking to different shops to get them mounted (not to mention shipping costs when split up) just didn't make it worth the time and effort. This place also has a decent price but you don't get many options. My local dealer wanted almost DOUBLE what I paid.

One note is that I did not have a good experience with ChromeWheel.com. I bought about the time the hurricanes hit so they had an excuse (located in Houston). But I feel I was lied to; for 2 weeks I was told my stuff would be shipped out "tomorrow". Every 2 days it was a new excuse saying they were waiting on something or some type of problem. Customer service did increase when I couldn't get this vibration fixed. I was told to just bring it to them and they would take care of it.....too bad they are over 10 hours aways.

Would I do it again...nope. But I am just extremely unlucky when it comes to these types of things. EVERYTHING I buy has something wrong with it. This is just one I can't seem to fix because no one knows where the problem is. Feel free to ask if you have any more questions....be glad to help.
Old 02-18-2006, 03:04 PM

Hey Rockittboy....you a member of 1000RR.com ? Just curious as I used to own those sites until last spring and noticed you own an RR.
Old 02-19-2006, 12:14 AM

Thanks very much for the insight there Is It Fast... I really want to do it based on the good things found with the mileage on the tires and the lower RPM's and such, but I really hope I don't have as many problems if I go and do this. Thanks for all the input...Jake
Old 02-19-2006, 12:15 AM

One more thing... Is it fast... did you have to buy tires on your own? If so, where did you go? Thanks again...Jake
Old 02-19-2006, 03:03 AM

Jake, it was stictly a bolt on deal with EVERYTHING. Tires were mounted on the rims. 4 Alcoa's and 2 steel rims for the inner rears. The inner rears had standard weights on them while the Alcoa's had Equal installed within the tires (a sand like substance). I doubt you will have the problems I have had since several say that they actually ride better than stock.
Old 02-19-2006, 10:09 AM

Awesome... It is looking more and more like a good deal for me... When you say that you wouldn't do it over again, is that because of the issues you are having right now? (in ref to the vibration you are having...). Thanks again for all your input...

Jake
Old 02-19-2006, 12:32 PM

Hey IS IT FAST, What air pressure are you running? I have been messing with mine and orig was running 45psi front and 40 psi rear in duals plus I am running all six Aluminum (didnt want to much rotating mass weight) so when I tried running 80 in front it rode like a truck and I got a vibration or something,and went to 55psi in rear duals I then dropped to 70 in front and it got a little better then went 65psi and a little better and am currently running 55psi front and dropped rear duals back down to 45psi and the ride is way better. have you looked into that rear hub/rotor you show in the video link to see if that is the problem? maybe with the little stock 17" tires there was not enough rotating mass to notice? The other thing I would try on you truck is remove the steel inner wheels and just run the outer aluminum wheel only and set you air pressure at what I am running and go for a test drive and see if vibration goes away
Good luck
Robert
P.S. I'm faster
Old 02-19-2006, 12:33 PM

if you have a vibration problem it could be coming from the equal. if it gets wet it will clump and then start to vibrate.ie moisture in compresed air.
Old 02-19-2006, 04:12 PM

Hey Daytripper... I saw on the www.chromewheel.com website that the tire pressure should be set pretty low... Here is a quote from their website

"MOST TRUCKS USING OUR SYSTEM FIND THAT 45 TO 60 LBS IN THE FRONT TIRES AND 25 TO 45 LBS IN THE REAR TIRES WORKS QUITE WELL."

Hope this helps....

Jake
Old 02-24-2006, 12:55 AM

Sorry for the delay, I haven't been getting email to this post for some reason...anyway:

The main reason I say I wouldn't do it again is due to the vibrations I can't track down. Other than that the set-up is awesome.

Equal was removed with no difference in vibration. Though it did help on the front as it felt kind of loose with the Rings and the Equal. I was even told to take the weights off the steel wheels too; no difference.

I have tried all types of air pressure...nothing helps. Currently running 50 in the front and 35 in the rear. Even if I run 100 lbs. it feels the same; you just feel the bumps in the road more.

The more I handle these things them more I think switching to Alcoa inners is a good idea. That steel set-up is HEAVY! I may see if I can find a set tomorrow. I wish I knew the specs on them as I think my local Peterbilt dealer had a few the last time I was in there. But not sure if they fit.

Quick Reply: New 10 lug 22.5" Alcoas are on and Awsome