3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Nelson or Donaldson 5" STRAIGHT THROUGH muffler??

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2007, 08:57 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thank You... Let me know how it sounds!!

Shane
Old 01-16-2007, 05:30 AM

Rob, Did yours arrive in good condition (hence no dents) ? My replacement muffler should arrive today. -Glen
Old 01-16-2007, 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by prattman
Rob, Did yours arrive in good condition (hence no dents) ? My replacement muffler should arrive today. -Glen
Glen,

I have 2-3 very small dents in the outside....not enough to worry about. They dent so easily and with no added packaging in the box, small ones are bound to occur...hopefully your new one won't have any major dents.
Old 01-16-2007, 11:22 AM

I put a nelson on and it had the little baffle in it I left it in.
Old 01-16-2007, 07:45 PM

Well, it's ON!! The neck down goes down to under 4" at this bell shape section. Using the suggestion from other donaldson users who have straightened out baffles in the 4" muffler, I used an oxygen tank cap, which is just a tad under 4", and drove it through this only small section of the muffler. The length of this section is about 5" roughly, at max. With about 30 hard blows with a BFH, I passed the cap through the section. I then flared the bell shaped section a little more. So, the full exhaust is 5" now except for the first 5-6" of the Magnaflow downpipe and 5" inside the muffler, which is both 4".

SOUND!!!! I LOVE IT!! For a 5" exhaust, the sound is about 1/2 way between my old 4" and STOCK!!!! NO CAT! I went from a no cat 4" w/ the MBRP muffler replacement from DPPI (18" long reverse louver MBRP muffler) to no cat w/ 5" Magnaflow exhaust using the 51" M090535 Donaldson muffler. The drone is GONE at least up to 85 mph. My II Silver 62 made the old 4" exhaust drone BADLY after 80 mph unloaded, and 70 mph w/ 2500 lb trailer. I haven't added the trailer yet, but unloaded it's amazingly quiet. It's not stock, but significantly quieter than the old 4" system. If anyone wants an aftermarket exhaust that's QUIET compared to a straight, catless, 4" aftermarket system, that still flows awesome, this IS IT!!! Get any 5" system and bolt up the M090535 muffler!!! The install was a joke! Just had to take 6" off the long bed extension pipe included w/ the magnaflow system and move it behind the Donaldson. I wasn't able to use the middle hanger due to the diameter of the muffler, but it's still well supported with the three post muffler hangers and the one downpipe hanger.

Hopefully this helps those of you who want better flow than the stock 4" w/ the 4" donadlson, but still want quiet. It's great!!
Old 01-16-2007, 10:11 PM
Banned

Yeah, that's what I like to hear... Hopefully I will be getting my 5" system this week. I think I will just go ahead and order this muffler!!

Awesome work LooseBolts....

Shane
Old 01-17-2007, 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by Luvnacumns
Yeah, that's what I like to hear... Hopefully I will be getting my 5" system this week. I think I will just go ahead and order this muffler!!

Awesome work LooseBolts....

Shane
Glad I can help out! I will be on the dyno within the next week or two, and while I'm there, I'm going to unbolt the muffler to make a pull just to see if there is any major difference.
Old 01-17-2007, 08:02 PM
Banned

Rob, Would it matter if I left the baffle or not?? I understand it makes it a straight flow through but do you think this matters???

Shane
Old 01-18-2007, 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by Luvnacumns
Rob, Would it matter if I left the baffle or not?? I understand it makes it a straight flow through but do you think this matters???

Shane

Shane,

The muffler is straight through regardless...just that this bell shaped section is just under 4". SO, you might want to find a cylindrical shaped object that's 4" in diameter that you can pound through it to at least ensure you have a 4" restriction at minimum. If I see more than 10 HP on the dyno without the muffler, I will take a cut off wheel on a pneumatic die grinder and reach down inside the muffler to cut this section completely out, making it a FULL 5". I should have done this originally, but it might have a negative affect on sound, which I don't want to do....it sounds GREAT now. I have ZERO experience to compare, but I'd like to think it's about as loud as an aftermarket 4" system (like a magnaflow or MBRP catback) WITH the cat in place. That's saying a lot for a 5" catless exhaust!! The only negative with it is the added vibration from the 5", but from what I have heard, this is normal with any 5" exhaust.
Old 01-18-2007, 10:15 AM

I'll crawl under the truck in a little bit and grab some photos for you guys. No idea why I haven't done it yet
Old 01-18-2007, 10:32 AM

Thumbs up

Rob, what part of Orlando are you in? Id love to hear your truck! Mine is still pretty much stock, but Im thinking about a muffler delete pipe.
Old 01-18-2007, 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by HotRodK
Rob, what part of Orlando are you in? Id love to hear your truck! Mine is still pretty much stock, but Im thinking about a muffler delete pipe.
I'm out near the UCF area...just east of Waterford Lakes.

My truck isn't my daily driver, so I am rarely out with it...however, I am planning on hitting the dyno at Lamotta Performance up in Longwood (off 17/92, just north of 434) either Friday night or one night next week.

That's probably the best place to really hear the exhaust and get an idea of the sound.
Old 01-18-2007, 11:59 AM

Hey Rob, Good to hear. I received my replacement muffler yesterday from Ryder, no dents. Now I have to get busy and install it along with my new 5 inch exhaust.
Regards, Glen
Old 01-18-2007, 12:00 PM

Thumbs up

Do you do your own work on it or do you know of a good local diesel shop? Thanks for the info.
Old 01-18-2007, 06:29 PM
Banned

Rob, Keep me posted on the DYNO numbers I just got my 5" system today and will be installing it this weekend... I won't order the muffler until I hear back from you on recommendations..

Shane

Quick Reply: Nelson or Donaldson 5" STRAIGHT THROUGH muffler??