3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Need wheel advice

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2008, 10:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need wheel advice

Along with some of the other cosmetic mods that I'm doing to the truck, I want to throw some new shoes on it too. Everything about the suspension is stock. Right now I'm running Cooper Discoverer STTs in 285/70/17 on the stock rims. I'm putting pocket fender flares on the truck in a couple weeks. What I'm wanting in a wheel is something that will off-set or stick out from the truck a little bit, and also something that I can put a larger tire on. Honestly I don't know anything about wheels - backspacing, off-set, etc. I want a more aggressive look, but don't want the tires out past the fender flares slinging rocks up on my paint. So, here are my questions:

1. For what I'm trying to do, what width, off-set, etc. should I be looking for in a wheel?

2. What's the largest tire I can get away with running (no rubbing) before I need to lift the truck (I am going to level the front end, though)?

3. Any place you all have found that has the best "over all" deal on wheels?

Thanks guys, you all are always an invaluable source of info.
Old 08-02-2008, 03:24 PM

with no lift or just 2" level kit, running bigger than 33's will be all about your wheel size and BS. if you're o.k. staying with 33's, your wheel choices are not limited, but if you plan on running 35's you'll probably need a wheel no wider than 9" and 5.5"+ BS.
if the wheels you end up with are near stock size and BS, they may not fill up those pocket flares and can look a little silly.
Old 08-03-2008, 12:32 PM

If your are going to level the truck you can use 315 bfgs or toyo 295 mts or toyo 305 ats without rubbing at full lock. I am sure about that because ive had all of those with a ranch hand bumper replacement that sags the front end over an inch. I REALLY like the toyos. Ive had BFGs for 15 years and swore by em'. I drove a buddies truck with the same set up as mine who had toyos and sold my BFGs and bought some. My $0.02. Good luck
Old 08-03-2008, 02:23 PM

From my experience, 315's with the stock wheels will rub at full lock, and that's with a 2" level. I've got wheels with 4.5" back spacing now, and there is no rub at full lock. But the tires will contact the fender flares I have if the wheels are turned and I hit a dip. No damage thus far. I bought all my stuff locally, so I can't help you with exact prices. Must places will price match if not better the competition in today's slow economy though.
Old 08-03-2008, 03:03 PM

Get some H2 rims, bore them out, paint them black, slap the 315's on there, and your truck will look awesome. Don't ask me about all the backspacing numbers and all that cause I don't know. What I do know is that it looks awesome and doesn't rub at all on my truck, with no lift or spacers.
Old 08-03-2008, 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by megacabdad
I've got wheels with 4.5" back spacing now, and there is no rub at full lock. But the tires will contact the fender flares I have if the wheels are turned and I hit a dip. No damage thus far. I bought all my stuff locally, so I can't help you with exact prices. Must places will price match if not better the competition in today's slow economy though.
most people will get rubbing in the rear of the front fender well trying to run 35's on a wheel with 4.5" BS, with anything under 6" lift.
Old 08-03-2008, 04:15 PM

Thanks for the replies. I am definitely wanting to get the fenders filled up so it doesn't look ridiculous. I'm not looking to keep the stock wheels either. So it's the back spacing that's import and not the offset? Sorry if that's a silly question, but I'm just not up on wheels and what to get. What I've been looking at are a set of ProComp Xtreme 6001 17x9, 4.75 b.s. and -6.6mm offset - would these fit on my truck? I'd like to use the existing tires I've got till they wear out but would upgrade if need be. Thanks guys.

Thomas
Old 08-03-2008, 04:26 PM

will most likely rub with 35's- should be fine with 33's.
even with 3.5" lift, i could not run 35" Toyo M/T's with Moto wheels with 4.53" BS. am now running those tires on 8.5" wide wheels with 5" BS- no rub and they fill up my ATS flares perfectly, but with just a level kit i would recommend a 8.5"-9" wheel with 5.5"+ BS if you're planning on 35's.
Old 08-03-2008, 05:02 PM
DTR's 'Wrench thrower...' And he aims for the gusto...

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Look for a set of H2 takeoffs. They match your description perfectly and they are cheap and easy to get. Get ones with the 315s still on them. I prefer the '08 design but have run both types for about 135,000 miles now and love them.

If you want some other design you can get ones that match the width and BS of the H2 wheels 'cause they are the perfect size for our trucks and will run 35" tires just fine.
Old 08-03-2008, 05:38 PM

If I wanted to go with H2 wheels, will any standard H2 wheels work? They have to be bored out to fit, right? Can any tire/wheels shop do that. Just don't want to purchase the wrong set of wheels. I can probably find what I need on the net for a better price than most of the local shops can arrange, but I don't want to end up with a set of wheels that I can't use.

Thomas
Old 08-03-2008, 06:01 PM

All of the H2 wheels are the same size. The stylng is different on the '08s.

The dealer will probably not be interested in boring them out for you but it can be easily done with a router. They must be opened up to work but it is an easy mod that can be done in a minute at home with the tires on.
Old 08-03-2008, 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by Raspy
All of the H2 wheels are the same size. The stylng is different on the '08s.

The dealer will probably not be interested in boring them out for you but it can be easily done with a router. They must be opened up to work but it is an easy mod that can be done in a minute at home with the tires on.
That's exactly right. It is very easy.
Old 08-03-2008, 07:36 PM

Are they the same bolt pattern, but just not the same size studs?
Old 08-03-2008, 08:23 PM

The problem is the center hole. It's about 3/16" or so smaller than the Dodge hole and the wheels will not go on till the center is opened up. It is only a clearance hole so it can be done easily with a router, hole saw or on a lathe.

Doing it at home with a carbide flush bit in the router is the fastest and easiest.