3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Need tuning help with F1.8 and HTT

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2008, 08:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need tuning help with F1.8 and HTT

I just put on F1.8's and HTT 62/65/13ss. The truck ran great on stock turbo and injectors doing 515hp on 4.2. Now I can hardly take off without overfueling. I am trying everything I can think of. Right now I am trying Tnt level 5, TM 4, Timing 2, Rail 2, WG off. I will try Timing 1 tomorrow. I live at 7000'. I have lost all the low end power because of the overfueling. By the time boost builds and I can romp on it I am already going 25-30 mph. I used to be able to spin the tires really easy and now only with a power brake and tons of smoke. We are thinking maybe a 65/71/13ss would be better. Waste gate is set at 40 psi and I can maintain 40 at wot. Any Ideas would be great.
Old 07-13-2008, 08:38 PM

Try putting the TM on 2. You should be able to control the smoke alot better.
Old 07-13-2008, 08:40 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
A 71 turbine will make it worse. Ask me how I know and I have stock sticks at sea level. At that altitude it is going to be tough to keep the smoke down. A twins setup with the stocker on top/ S400 on bottom will more than likely be your best beat.
Old 07-13-2008, 08:53 PM

I will try the TM on 2. HTT thought maybe the the 71 wheel may help clear the smoke sooner. My stock turbo started leaking oil so that is why I upgraded. How much will the Stocker/S400 support.
Old 07-13-2008, 09:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by CoolumConst
I will try the TM on 2. HTT thought maybe the the 71 wheel may help clear the smoke sooner. My stock turbo started leaking oil so that is why I upgraded. How much will the Stocker/S400 support.
650ish. I don't agree with changing the TM. That's just going to make you have to give it more throttle to get it moving - making the problem worse. Your best bet is the twins. Other than that, you will find that 1/2 to 3/4 throttle starts will actually accelerate the truck faster than mashing it with your current set up.
Old 07-13-2008, 09:21 PM

I was on Timing 1 which did help keep the smoke down under normal driving. But if you tried to take off hard under 25mph it would overfuel even with half throttle.
Old 07-13-2008, 09:25 PM

I was on Timing 1 which did help keep the smoke down under normal driving. But if you tried to take off hard under 25mph it would overfuel even with half throttle.
On the TNT, the most timing is #2. That may help a little, but I would count on it. I went through the same thing you are and you can see that I ended up with the twins.
Old 07-13-2008, 09:26 PM

One other thing, with the HTT turbo I am still seeing the same temps as with the stock turbo and injectors.
Old 07-13-2008, 09:38 PM

One other thing, with the HTT turbo I am still seeing the same temps as with the stock turbo and injectors.
How much boost are you seeing?
Old 07-13-2008, 09:45 PM

It will hold 40psi on wot. Once it spools it screams. I was hoping to do twins with the 62/65/13ss. I have been working with MPI on this problem. I wanted to do the stocker/s400 before I found mine to be leaking oil.
Old 07-13-2008, 10:54 PM

Shoot, you could of had that stocker rebuilt and still can. You are in the same delimea I am. Love the turbo and Smarty, hate the useless smoke. Decisions, decisions......... I have even thought about putting my stocker back on and saying the heck with it.
Old 07-13-2008, 10:59 PM

Originally Posted by omaharam
650ish. I don't agree with changing the TM. That's just going to make you have to give it more throttle to get it moving - making the problem worse. Your best bet is the twins. Other than that, you will find that 1/2 to 3/4 throttle starts will actually accelerate the truck faster than mashing it with your current set up.
How is the smoke/spoolup with your setup? How is the smoke towing..... That is when I can really role the coal trying to get going if I am in a hurry. If I don't get impatient it is not that bad.
Old 07-14-2008, 05:53 AM

Originally Posted by Spooler
How is the smoke/spoolup with your setup? How is the smoke towing..... That is when I can really role the coal trying to get going if I am in a hurry. If I don't get impatient it is not that bad.
I know what your sayin about the smoke when towing.When I pull myGN horse trailer and go thru towns I have to accellerate very slow so I don't black out the road.People are looking at me like that Dodge ain't got no power,look how slow he is getting up to speed,now if a Ford tries to show off pulling by me I just let the coal roll.Its very intimidating when you give them a face full of soot.

But anyways Spooler,I think you would have been better off with a 65 wheel and I am considering sending mine off to get the 65 wheel once I place my twin order from Nathan.
Old 07-14-2008, 08:12 AM

Originally Posted by Spooler
Spool up is great. With Smarty on TM4 It gets my 31' double slide travel trailer moving immediately. Smoke is very controllable on take off even on higher settings because you don't need to floor it. If you floor it, it will smoke - but not like when I had a single. If I'm running just a 50hp tune or so with the injectors, I can pretty much floor it and it smokes some but not excessive blacking out the cars around.
Old 07-14-2008, 07:58 PM

Turning TM to 2 will make a big difference in the amount of smoke. I turn it down just for towing my boat so I don't cover it in soot and still have no problem spooling my 64. Tac

Quick Reply: Need tuning help with F1.8 and HTT