3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Need some help choosing speakers

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2004, 06:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need some help choosing speakers

I am looking at putting in front and rear 6.5" component speakers. I am looking at the Alpine SPR-176A but I have no experience with them. Any suggestions?

I have 2 MTX amps, one for sub and the other for the doors, Kenwood Z828 head unit and 2 JL 10" subs.

I also need to have a down firing sub enclosure made and installed where my front center seat is. Does anyone have a source. I have look at several places locally and they want $600.00 and up....

I listen to 90% metal/rock and 10% blues/jaz.

My truck is a 2004 Dodge Ram 3500 QC.

TIA,
-Allen
Old 11-01-2004, 07:17 PM

I don't know anything about the Alpine speakers but I've heard tons of good things about the MB Quartz speakers and www.Crutchfield.com just started carrying them.

I installed an Infintiy Perfect Series dual voice coil 10" sub in a Q-Logic box under the rear seat on passenger side and I'm very happy with the bass in truck now.

If you like it with a real lot of bass you can get an MTX Thunderform that holds 2 10" subs but you lose both sides of your underseat storage. Good luck.
Old 11-01-2004, 07:37 PM

Thanks for the reply.

I have MB Quartz 5x8 (I think) that came out of my F350...great speaker. I will definately take a look.

I thought about putting the subs under the back seat in the storage area but all the ones I have seen are up-firing and I have kids in the truck frequently (back seat).

-Allen
Old 11-02-2004, 01:54 AM

The problem is...everyone's ear is different. What I think sounds great, you might think doesn't & visa versa. The best thing to do, IMO, is go to several car audio stores and listen to several different sets of 6.5" components.

As far as 6.5" components go, my personal favorites are the Infinity Kappa's. They are smooth, accurate, detailed, crisp, punchy, and efficient. I've listened to Alpine's and MB Quart. The Alpines were a bit to harsh and unrefined to me. The MB Quarts were pretty good, but not very efficient if I remember correctly. Next to the Kappa's, I like the Polk Audio "db" series.
Old 11-02-2004, 11:36 AM

Infinity all the way...Kappa or Reference sound the same. Great bang for the buck.
Old 11-02-2004, 11:47 AM

In reguards to 6.5 componets, the Infinity Reference are nice, but fall pretty short on bass. Kappas puts out a lot more bass. The Kappa tweets do offer more detail, but aren't quite as smooth as the silk dome Reference line tweets. Overall, the Kappas do take the cake in my book.
Old 11-02-2004, 02:21 PM

Bass is for 8", 10", 12" etc...depends what you want from your seperates...
I want more performance than seperates alone can offer. No 6.5" in my opinion can produce accurate bass notes at a decent volume. Cap the references at 150 hrtz and they are crystal clear...even WAY over powered.
Old 11-02-2004, 03:29 PM

In my 2004.5 Dodge 3500 QC my head unit is Eclipse 8454..Only use front door speakers CDT audio with HD-62 components. Using 4 channel JL Audio 300/4 for doors and tweeters..CDT Audio component speakers offers excellent imaging and don't need speakers for rear doors. Also have subwoofer box that fits under rear seat with 2 10" Memphis MClass subs powered by Memphis 1000D amp. Have speakers mounted in stock holes in door panels with tweeters mounted in A-pillar pointed toward center of windshield giving a on stage effect coming from front of cab. Bass will also sound as though coming from front. Sub boxes will sell for about $200 and speakers around $350 depending where they are purchased....
Some forums to check out are carstereo.com--sounddomain.com--ecoustics.com.......It is better to do some research at these forums before you make a decision......thanx....sparkieg
Old 11-02-2004, 09:19 PM

Originally posted by cquestad
Bass is for 8", 10", 12" etc...depends what you want from your seperates...
I want more performance than seperates alone can offer. No 6.5" in my opinion can produce accurate bass notes at a decent volume. Cap the references at 150 hrtz and they are crystal clear...even WAY over powered.
Well, with the 6.5 Ref's, you need a sub woofer at any volume. You can go without a sub when using the Kappa's at lower volume. I did for a quite a while on another truck. I don't listen to music at really loud ear bleed volume. I like it just loud enough to drown out the road noise. I'll turn it up a little louder on songs I really like. If you want to get to ear bleed 110db level, then you will need lots of cash, amps, caps, subs, and a couple Optima Yellow Tops.

If your budget is tight or you have other priorities for your cash (ie bombing), then I would go with the Polk Audio db 690 (6x9 "tri-axial) in the front and the db 650 (6.5 "co-axial"). They fit just perfect so there is no hassle. These have a bulit in cross over network, so they are extremely clean, accurate, and punchy, not to mention plenty of bass. They sound like components, not like your tyipcal tri's and co's, which is due to the crossover network. I think they sound great, even better than the Kappa's. You can't beat the price either. You can get both pair brand new off ebay for <$200 shipped. Check out their db series at polkaudio.com. Then search ebay for "db690" and "db650."
Old 11-03-2004, 06:54 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
MB quart component sets all the way. JL audio makes some nice sets too. I think infinity makes a decent product, but I don't like their component sets' sound. Go for the quarts!
Old 11-03-2004, 10:29 AM

Even at low volume, it will never sound as good. I really don't have that much tied up in my system. $400 deck (now it is way cheaper), $300 in amps, $200 in speakers, $150 in subs, $150 in box, wireing, install, etc, and $75 in a capaciter.

$1300 for same quality and quantity as my last truck when I spent twice as much. Pay attention to the numbers in equipment specs. They state it all. Price is not always key. Kappa vs Reference....can't tell.

I am also a big fan of MB Quart, JL, and Soundstreem. These plus Infinity make up the quality side of audio in my opinion. Infinity happens to cost the least...which mattered this time...since I DID bomb the crap out of my truck.
Old 11-03-2004, 01:07 PM

I put 2 pq-20 and a mx 850 amps by ads years ago in my 95 dodge ram extra cab
also used 4-10" ads subs in a inclosed cabinetbehind the seats 2-4" Boston aqustic with tweeter seperates with crossoverin the top of the door, 2-5" Bostons just behind the seats, 2-6" Boston in the area just to the left of your drivers left foot and right of your passanegers right foot, and cut out the opening in the door metal behind the door panel where the other speaker was to get a 8" mid bass by kicker they sell a shalow mount speaker so you can still use the power mirrors and bult a piece of wood and covered it with fiberglass to fit inside the door where the window is to beef it up because it raddiled to much.. My system does not the thump.. I wanted it so I could listen to Clapton to Bass explosion and sound good all the way threw the spectrum..I can e-mail pictures but don't know how to post yet.. The box took the losgest because of the amp rack but the rest was easy just 1 sugestion while I had mine apart I put dyno liner in that 1/2" foam sheeting in the hole cab and also more important run more wires then you need I had to take apart my whole interior twice to run extra wires once I was almost done ..
Old 11-04-2004, 02:14 AM

FOCAL all the way, i have front and rear focal polyglass.... focal 11s under the rear seat ,, all i can say is super super clear... not too much bass..
Old 11-04-2004, 08:18 AM

They have some dual 10" boxes for under the back seat for around $115 on ebay. My buddy bought one and it sounds good. One of the companies carries a 5 year warranty on the box. At least they used to.
Old 11-04-2004, 02:00 PM

I came across this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...729061005&rd=1

Seems to be very well made and he has great feedback. Price is right too.

Quick Reply: Need some help choosing speakers