3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Need some help choosing the right flux injector

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2008, 01:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need some help choosing the right flux injector

I need some advice as to what flux injectors I should install in my truck. I’ll be removing the body as discussed in this thread. https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...d.php?t=195412 While the body is off I figure it will be the perfect time to install a Helix cam, valve springs, head studs, cfm intake, stage II CP3 and injectors. I want to find a good compromise between, tow ability, power and fuel economy. I plan to use the edge juice/ez stack for daily driving, and the 4k TNT race tune for the occasional trip to the track. I want to stay within the limits of my SPS 62/14, but I’d be willing to use some water meth if things get a little toasty.

How big can I go before fuel economy suffers? From searching this site, it seems that Flux 1.8 is about as big as one can go before mileage starts to take a hit. Can anyone confirm this? I’d like to run an injector big enough so that I could hit 600hp with the smarty, but still be able to tow heavy with the edge juice/ez stack on lower levels.

Is anyone running the beta mileage flux injectors, and seeing an honest mileage increase? If I could gain a couple mpg’s with these injectors I’d be willing to abandon the 600hp goal and be happy with a 500hp truck that gets great mileage.

Thanks,

Carl

PS, I also have a south bend DD clutch and an air dog, to support this power, but I rolled the truck before I had a chance to install them.
Old 03-05-2008, 02:04 PM

fuel mileage usually does not start to suffer till you cross the 3.3 mark . Personally I think the 2's would be very well suited for what you have as a baseline and what you are looking for. You can however reach the 600 HP goal with stock injectors if you run aggressive tuning. So anything from 1's to 2's would be good for your application.
Old 03-05-2008, 04:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I also run the Juice. I don't have the cam and the TNT tune will be well over 600hp with my 1.8s but the turbo is not really big enough for the TNT. So staying within the limits of your turbo may be an issue with your plans. I went with 1.8s because I was told anything bigger would hurt mileage. I love 'em.
Old 03-05-2008, 09:10 PM

Like Loyd said I would go with Flux 2's.

Flux 2's and Smarty 4.4 will make you happy...I personally would remove the edge stuff as I have seen it do bad things at the power levels you are talking about.

You are going to need more air so I would have a serious look at a small set of twins. The cam could be skipped and the money used to finance the twins if budget is an issue.

Good luck!
Old 03-05-2008, 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by Snapoff
Like Loyd said I would go with Flux 2's.

Flux 2's and Smarty 4.4 will make you happy...I personally would remove the edge stuff as I have seen it do bad things at the power levels you are talking about.

You are going to need more air so I would have a serious look at a small set of twins. The cam could be skipped and the money used to finance the twins if budget is an issue.

Good luck!
No problems with the Juice on my truck.
Old 03-05-2008, 10:01 PM

Originally Posted by omaharam
No problems with the Juice on my truck.
Omaharam...Interesting.

Not bashing the edge product or those that use it however I have seen the edge blow head gaskets and produce high egt's in 5-600hp setups.....Not that it isn't a good product, but from what I have seen it seems (to me) best confined to an entry level power adder/economy box.
I should mention that both of the problem trucks (I personally) observed were 2006-2007.

I was going to ask how high your egt's are but I see you have a stock turbo.
Are you running the Smarty 4.4?

Is there a story behind your head studs and O ring setup?
Old 03-05-2008, 10:54 PM

I would error on the smaller side , for an everyday driver , part time tow truck

I run fluxs 1.5 with low egts , almost zero smoke , fuel economy is UNREAL as in excellent hand calculated 18-23 mpg & the truck just does not seem to starve for fuel

really happy with the balance of mpgs , power , egts , etc on my setup
for a real world , west coast , city slicker truck , this setup is the shiznit !

if I lived in the countryside on a drag strip or a dyno I could benefit from some 4.5 + fluxs

IMO it's getting the balance right , between turbo / air / fueling / injectors and what the use of the truck will be for , also the area you drive & live all should be factors when considering the setup !

Example if you slam big injectors in / not enough turbo / & stock cp3
you cant benefit from the bigger injectors !
Old 03-05-2008, 11:19 PM

Originally Posted by Snapoff
Omaharam...Interesting.

Not bashing the edge product or those that use it however I have seen the edge blow head gaskets and produce high egt's in 5-600hp setups.....Not that it isn't a good product, but from what I have seen it seems (to me) best confined to an entry level power adder/economy box.
I should mention that both of the problem trucks (I personally) observed were 2006-2007.

I was going to ask how high your egt's are but I see you have a stock turbo.
Are you running the Smarty 4.4?

Is there a story behind your head studs and O ring setup?
I do not have a stock turbo. I have an Aurora 3000. The reason for the studs and o-rings is that I am going to twins. Egts stay in check just fine.
Old 03-06-2008, 09:44 AM

Thanks for the advice guys

I think I'll try a 1.5 flux injector. I really don't want to add twins at this point. If things get a bit toasty I'll just dial back the programming a bit. I can see myself eventually adding twins, but for now I know I'll be plenty happy with the SPS 62/14 and a 500-600hp truck.

Snapoff,

I've also had no problem running the juice on stock settings with the smarty. Perhaps it's more of an issue with the 06.5+ trucks? However I agree it would probably be a good idea to remove the juice, when I'm running the big smarty tune on the track.
Old 03-06-2008, 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by 6 2 Carl
Snapoff,

I've also had no problem running the juice on stock settings with the smarty. Perhaps it's more of an issue with the 06.5+ trucks? However I agree it would probably be a good idea to remove the juice, when I'm running the big smarty tune on the track.
Carl,
One thing I have learned it is that every common rail seems to react a bit different...even in the same year of production....Just something to watch out for.