3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

need more hp

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2008, 02:21 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by justin allan
My truck did not do the popping in the dyno. AND yes it dose pull like a horse when you get on it. Not to sound dumn here but what dose sotp mean??

That doesn't mean you weren't at the beginning of some issues to come. I'm just saying if it is a gradually occuring ordeal it could be why you're seeing low power #s. Never heard much of the betas causing popping issues, seemed to be a problem for some of the 03-04 TNT users.

You may have answered this, but do you have a RP gauge and is it reading good #s when this popping occurs, any abrupt fluctuations or such?
Old 10-14-2008, 03:34 PM
tcr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am not sure what to do for my next mod for HP. I just did some mods I went with the industrial 90hp injectors I was disapointed on the dyno numbers (in my sig). Should I get larger ones? If so how big? I still drive it every day if that means anything. OR is there another mod I am missing that I can do??
Wow, That's really not selling me on the DDP 90s that I thought I wanted, I've got more HP/TQ on a Dynojet than that w/ my stock injectors
Old 10-14-2008, 04:03 PM

I hope my flux 1.8's impress me as well, they are supposed to be 90hp sticks I think. Some say they may be a bit higher in hp, but that is what they are rated at.

I'd try a different dyno.
Old 10-14-2008, 05:53 PM

Could there be a problem with the DDP injectors? Had you dyno'd with all the equip except the DDP's in the past? or was CP3 and injectors changed at the same time?

Our trucks are similar.. If there is such a thing...
I ran 4.2 on 8 with TST on 3/1 and made 523/964 (stock cp3 and stock sticks) I think I still had some left to go. Wish I had time to load 4.2 on 9 and TST off to see what it would have made.
Old 10-14-2008, 06:00 PM
tcr

Originally Posted by JP-4.5
Could there be a problem with the DDP injectors? Had you dyno'd with all the equip except the DDP's in the past? or was CP3 and injectors changed at the same time?

Our trucks are similar.. If there is such a thing...
I ran 4.2 on 8 with TST on 3/1 and made 523/964 (stock cp3 and stock sticks) I think I still had some left to go. Wish I had time to load 4.2 on 9 and TST off to see what it would have made.
Actually, you can't compare yours to his, 03-04s respond much differently than 04.5+. 500HP is not near as easy to get from our good ol', last of the pure emissions-less trucks.
Old 10-14-2008, 06:07 PM

My bad on quick read... My bad.. I just went back to 1st thread and I must have seen the 4.5 skyjacker as year...as I thought he had the same truck as mine...
Old 10-14-2008, 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by rip 112
That doesn't mean you weren't at the beginning of some issues to come. I'm just saying if it is a gradually occuring ordeal it could be why you're seeing low power #s. Never heard much of the betas causing popping issues, seemed to be a problem for some of the 03-04 TNT users.

You may have answered this, but do you have a RP gauge and is it reading good #s when this popping occurs, any abrupt fluctuations or such?
yes the rail reads 26,500psi.

Is there such a thing as to much fuel and makeing it pop??
Old 10-14-2008, 10:42 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Not that I heard of Justin usually the popping is from lack of fuel to the cylinder than is demanded of it. Draining the rail so to speak. But with your mods its odd that you would be seeing this unless you've passed up your injectors capacity, which I coudn't say is the case or not. Low power numbers could mean something isn't right at all.
Old 10-15-2008, 12:13 AM

Is your rail pressure gauge hooked up before or after the mp-8?

any codes present during the dyno run?

how much boost on the dyno? On the street?
Old 10-15-2008, 12:28 AM

Originally Posted by jlibert
Is your rail pressure gauge hooked up before or after the mp-8?

any codes present during the dyno run?

how much boost on the dyno? On the street?
Good questions. I would say your turbo didnt spool, most dynojets are not able to "load" or apply resistance to your truck causing your turbo not to spool. Did you happen to see your boost on that dyno run?
Old 10-15-2008, 02:26 AM

If your egt's go out of sight you are out of air (need more turbo).
If you can't you are out of fuel (need bigger injectors).
By your reaction I suspect you will need both.

Yes, the '03-'04's are a bit harder to get power out of, but they can run much (MUCH!) larger injectors than the later trucks.

Tim Barber drives his early truck with Flux 6.2's (1000+Hp)as often as he likes...This is not a good idea with the '05-'07's.
Old 10-15-2008, 09:46 AM

On the dyno for boost psi I seen 48psi and on the street I see 50 to 53psi.

WOT the egt's are 1300 to 1325.

When I had the rail gauge pluged in I had rail gauge first then mp8 then truck harness. rail preassure 26,500 no at wot.

I have to turn the mp8 down 50% and the popping will stop so to speak. So I am wandering to much fuel may be the case for the injectors I will have to call Industrial and see what they have to say. I did talk to them before and they said that the next size injector is 200hp since they have been edm'ed.
Old 10-15-2008, 11:13 AM

On the dyno for boost psi I seen 48psi and on the street I see 50 to 53psi.

WOT the egt's are 1300 to 1325.

When I had the rail gauge pluged in I had rail gauge first then mp8 then truck harness. rail preassure 26,500 no at wot.

I have to turn the mp8 down 50% and the popping will stop so to speak. So I am wandering to much fuel may be the case for the injectors I will have to call Industrial and see what they have to say. I did talk to them before and they said that the next size injector is 200hp since they have been edm'ed.

everything seems right about your setup and your numbers. You need to get a rail pressure gauge back on that thing anyway.

your boost numbers are pretty good.

you describe the popping as pretty quiet. In my experience, when you drain the rail, the popping sound is closer to a small caliber gun going off. It's DEFINITELY noticible. Although I havent heard that sound in about 3 years, that's what I recall.

If you did in-fact have too much fuel, I'd assume that your egt's would be much higher than they are.
Old 10-15-2008, 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by jlibert
everything seems right about your setup and your numbers. You need to get a rail pressure gauge back on that thing anyway.

your boost numbers are pretty good.

you describe the popping as pretty quiet. In my experience, when you drain the rail, the popping sound is closer to a small caliber gun going off. It's DEFINITELY noticible. Although I havent heard that sound in about 3 years, that's what I recall.

If you did in-fact have too much fuel, I'd assume that your egt's would be much higher than they are.
I do have the quad gauge but I am afraid to plug it back in cuz it keeps taken out my rail sencer. I need to get a diff gauge. but when It was in pressure was good. new gauge will be on the was soon..
Old 10-15-2008, 08:40 PM

Your gonna hate to hear this but I 475/1065 today on stock injectors/cp3/turbo. That was on a mustang dyno and the smarty wasnt even cranked. That was my base line run I'm about to order the rest of my go fast parts to go past 700hp....

Quick Reply: need more hp