3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Need help spending my money.. Gauges/exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2009, 08:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need help spending my money.. Gauges/exhaust

Okay so my Goerend trans for my 05 should be shipped next week, and while I'm having it installed I'm wanting to go ahead and get some gauges and bigger exhaust while I'm at it. Well start with a simple question on the exhaust and move to gauges...

I'm not sure if I should be getting the cat back or turbo back exhaust? I'm assuming the turbo back is going to be louder, which I don't really want. I got all the loud I needed when driving my 02. I'm still not too familiar with what all has changed between the 02 and 05 other than injection, but I'm assuming quite a bit so I'm pretty ignorant on this truck for now.

For the gauges, my main thing is figuring out exactly what gauges I need and which type of mount to get. Right now I'm leaning toward a typical A pillar triple mount but I noticed they make one that goes overhead as well. Does anyone have one of these or seen one? I'm curious about how clean they look and how well they hold up?

I have a tst powermax that has the digital gauges for egt and boost, so I may just use that and go with a dual mount A pillar if those things are accurate. I know I'll also need a rail pressure and trans temp gauge.

Am I missing anything? If anyone has any input/ideas I'm all ears. I've thought about going with the quadzilla commander as one gauge for 4 things seems like it would have a nice clean look to it, but I've heard that they can get pretty screwy with the rail pressure. Is that fixed? I'm open for any and all suggestions here!
Old 05-09-2009, 10:40 AM

From what you've said, and depending on where you live(emissions testing/Visual inspection for Cat?) I believe a cat-back exhaust will suit your needs. What size? Well thatll depend on how much HP you plan to push out of your truck. 4" should be fine if youre not going crazy with the mods.

For guages I think the minimum on a common rail/auto, should be the Boost, Exhaust Temp, Fuel pressure from the Lift pump, and Tranny temp. I have an overhead 4 guage console between my rearview mirror and the overhead console on my 04.5. This was the only 4 guage pod holder I could find at the time. While I like the location, the pod holder is not the greatest. It mounts between the roof liner and the windshield with little tabs that stick out, and the other side is stuck to the windshield with velcro. When the weather gets hot, the velcro pulls away from the windshield and leaves your guages halfway hanging from the roof liner. I have somewhat fixed the velcro problem by superglueing the sticky side of the velcro to the windshield, seems to be holding better...for now.
You also mentioned rail pressure, I dont have a rail press. guage, but I know quadzilla makes a guage that you can mount to the top of the steering column with velcro. or where ever you want it for that matter.

If you want to use the tst to monitor you egt and boost, I think you should get a 3 guage A-pillar mount and put in the Tranny temp, LP fuel press, and Rail pressure guages...then you can monitor all 5 items you mentioned. I believe ISSPro has a round style guage for the rail press. now. I would look at Geno's Garage or Diesel Manor for guage combos and prices.

And I dont know anything about the Quad commander so maybe someone else will chime in with some more info.

Hope this helps.
Scott
Old 05-09-2009, 12:33 PM

I have a cat back, but only becasue i got it for about 1/3 retail (long story)....personally, i'd recommend you just swap the muffler for a higher flowing model (a whopping $80 cost)....you already have 4" exhaust...unless you want 5" or are shooting for 2000hp, there's nothing wrong with your current exhaust except the muffler...and you can spend the $500 saved on somehting that will add power...like a mp-8 or smarty or....

Agree with STate on the guages - a pilliar isspro or diprocol trans, fp, rp

Congrats on the mods...trans will be fun!