3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Need help with Setting up buddys 6 spd

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2008, 08:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need help with Setting up buddys 03 5 spd

My buddy is setting up an 03 Dually. He uses his truck for his business and tows alot and very heavy 20+K lbs. What clutch should he get that will not be a pain to back up with, and still hold the power of the Smarty? He's also going to get a turbo. Is the Silver 62 a good towing turbo for the 6 Speed too?
Old 10-13-2008, 08:51 PM
P.J
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The one in my sig, or a 3600. Could probably do a big single, but they get grabby.

He can get a good price and good service by contacting Lary at the DTR store.

Not sure on the turbo.
Old 10-13-2008, 08:56 PM

Do you know the part number? Does the SBC DD sprung hub work as well on the NV5600
Old 10-13-2008, 09:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
tell him to get the coolers for the tranny also it will help and allow him to add a temp gauge to it. i pulled with a soutbend. cant remember which one think it was the one right above their lower end one
Old 10-13-2008, 09:02 PM
P.J
Banned

SBCDD3250

You'd have to contact Peter to get the best, latest info on the products.

http://www.southbendclutch.com/dd.html
Old 10-13-2008, 09:24 PM

Since he tows I don't see him running over 450hp pulling 20k, so I would say the SBC OFE would be great for him, it has a 3600 spring plate and has good shifting and clutch transition. It is a much better clutch over stock, and I've seen stockers last over 100k of hard use. If he insists DD the DD3250 will hold him well but locating gears becomes tricky when slowing down. As far as the turbo, I've hauled close to 17k recently and I found the turbo i have is great at pulling a load as long as you keep the rpms up. Pulling a load it is inevitable you are gonna use almost 100% of your throttle so boost shouldn't be an issue. Just make sure he is gonna have enough fuel and good programming to spool it as quick as possible.
Old 10-14-2008, 04:19 AM

I had a SB fe on my 03 NV5600 and it held until I stacked my Smarty and TST. It wouldn't hold so I went with a Valair DD3600 and it holds and shifts great. I had good luck with the Silver 62. It is a good towing turbo as long as you don't go crazy with fuel and stacking boxes. I've spent alot of money rebuilding my NV5600. Towing heavy in overdrive with stacked boxes can be very hard on a trans. They can be broken.
Good luck,
Topper
Old 10-14-2008, 04:41 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Im with Rip on this one.The SB con ofe is an excellent choice if he isn't going to go over the 500hp range.Mine is still holding,don't know the hp but I feel it is over 500.It has stock feel with alot more holding force.The DD3250 would be the next choice.

On turbo's I would say a 62/65/13 or 71/13 or 14.If towing is his only concern then the 62/65/12,13 or 14,if he wants a little more for playing the the 71/13.I have had both and if all I did was tow I would go back to the smaller exhaust wheel.
Old 10-14-2008, 06:49 AM

Thanks for all the inputs... what are these turbos set at from the vendor? 44psi? He's not going for all out HP, just better towing. Will he need studs?
Old 10-14-2008, 07:10 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Tell you the truth, if your buddy isn't going for big HP he might be better off finding a nice used turbo for the 600 series Cummins ('04.5-07). And can save some coins.

MikeyB
Old 10-14-2008, 08:08 AM

Best towing clutch I can think of is MINE! SBC Sprung DD 3250....
just grossed at around 32-35k this weekend and the clutch performed great!!

I've done the single disk thing, and getting one to hold a decent amount of power and be super smooth to tow is unattainable in my mind.... My single was grabby like crazy!
Old 10-14-2008, 10:27 AM

Sorry, not meaning to hijack, but I've got a clutch question too. Are the SBC DD 3250s loud at Idle? I've been looking at getting either that clutch or the DD Haisley street drag, and don't know which one to get. I heard the 3250 is slow shifting, and loud. I heard the Haisley is smooth fast shifting, pulls trailers great, and isn't loud, but it costs a lot more. I've been trying to make up my mind on the two for awhile, but I havn't really gotten any straight up facts to help me decide which one to get.
Old 10-14-2008, 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by mcolectd
Sorry, not meaning to hijack, but I've got a clutch question too. Are the SBC DD 3250s loud at Idle? I've been looking at getting either that clutch or the DD Haisley street drag, and don't know which one to get. I heard the 3250 is slow shifting, and loud. I heard the Haisley is smooth fast shifting, pulls trailers great, and isn't loud, but it costs a lot more. I've been trying to make up my mind on the two for awhile, but I havn't really gotten any straight up facts to help me decide which one to get.

Well I imagine it is noisy, my OFE is noisy, you can hear it chattering in neutral over the idle. Bout like a rig. The 3250 will be great if you aren't in a hurry, it will probably pull better but its not absolutely needed. The FE will be a little bad backing up.

One of the reasons I say OFE is because he will also save some coin by not having to get the hydros or flywheel. In all honesty when I have to get a clutch again I will probably go with a DD3600
Old 10-14-2008, 12:10 PM

I don't mind a little noise, but I've heard some that just sound terrible and I don't want that. I'd like to have a quick, smooth shifting clutch that can hold the power cause I like to go to the track, but I also tow, so I dono. If the haisley is what they say it is, then it sounds like the best of both worlds, but not many people have anything to say about it so it worrys me dropping that much coin on it, without having any input on it, and just haisleys word that its what I want
Old 10-14-2008, 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by mcolectd
Yes, its slow shifting and mine is only a little loud w/ the clutch pushed in. In neutral I cant here it above the engine. If I had the extra coin Id go w/ Haisley (which will be my next clutch) just for the fact I love to bang through the gears, and I hear that Haisley is extremely fast shifting for a DD.

Quick Reply: Need help with Setting up buddys 6 spd