3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Need help with my build. Garrett turbo tow truck.

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2010, 08:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need help with my build. Garrett turbo tow truck.

Ok fella's, I need a little help. Here's what I have and what I want it to do.

147,000 miles, 03 HO 305HP, 3500, quad cab, long bed, srw, 4x4, 6spd.

Clutch:Valair single disk ceramic kevlar, upgraded hydros
Intake: Whilly's whistler style 6" AEM pro dry
Tuning: Smarty Revo #1, Timing #4, Tq #1, RP#1, Van Aaken C3.2 130HP all duration smoke machine at the flip of a switch,
Exhaust: 4" turbo back magnaflow
Gauges: boost, egt, rail, low pressure fuel
Lift pump: a custom built by me fuel system, walbro, 2mic water sep, 2mic regular filter, Aeromotive A1000 regulator, inlet pressure set to 40psi at idle, boost regulated on a 1 to 1. all 3/8" braided stainless lines, aluminum race fittings.
CP3: reman cp3 with a floor it stage one kit. Installed last saturday.

I'm going for a reliable daily driver and tow rig. Being my DD I'm not trying to make alot of power, my goal is reliability, fuel mileage, and a little more power. My 04.5 is my toy. I rely on this truck. Right now I get 19mpg with 4:10 gears on 285/75/17 nitto dura grapplers. I plan to free spin the front axle, cam, springs, head studs, and twin turbo it when I deploy this summer. Here's where I'm stuck. Right now I'm ready to do injectors and a turbo. Money in hand. Just not sure who's injectors or what turbo. I want Formula injectors and a BB water cooled turbo. I want it to be a little different.

I want to go with Flux 1's or 1.8's for mileage and a little power. I have a used set of injectors on the way to my house to send off to get built so I can keep the truck on the road. I talked to Industrial today and they said they can rebuild injectors too, for a little more money than F1 wants. Now I normally wouldn't buy a lock washer from II but I only have 2 grand for injectors. Who's wpuld ya'll go with and why?

Now for the turbo. Right now I just want to go with a single Garrett ball bearing oil and water cooled. I'm going to second gen manifold it while I'm at it and I'll be using a T4 manifold because they flow better from what I'm told. I'm looking at the 3788R and the 4088R. and not the dodge 3788r thats wastegated and crap. I mean the box stock one. I can fabricate a little bit. and intend on building the downpipe, intercooler pipe, intake, etc. I need to know which one, both have the 63.5 inducer compressors, the 3788R has a 72.5 turbine wheel and the 4088R has a 77 turbine wheel. I want it to be streetable as a single and later as a twins truck. Keep in mind the cam later, and all I'm ever going to run in this truck is a small set of injectors. So, which turbo? and which AR housing? External wastegate, Chris at ED told me today that with a common rail and T4 turbine housing and manifold and as little fuel as I plan to run, I won't need a wastegate. What do ya'll think about that? Chris said I should run a blow off valve on the cold pipe and see how I like it.

Hopefully someone on here know's more about this than I do. All help is appreciated.
Old 04-26-2010, 09:43 PM

Now I'm reading a 4094 is more what I'm after. Soulezoo?
Old 04-27-2010, 08:53 AM
DTR 1st Sergeant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
First, I would go with the F1 injectors. The wait is a little long right now, but you'll be happier in the long run. Even with the 1.8's, that isn't a ton of fuel, twins may not even be necessary... but can gain you some in the long run.

On the wastegate, Chris at ED is correct, with that little fuel, you don't really need one... provided the turbo is sized right.

Ok, going on the premise that you want twins, what I would do is get the 3788r... yeah, it has a wastegate, if you are really against it you can lock it out. If you really want the t-4, you can do that too... but you don't have to. As the bottom turbo, use the GTX4202r. That set up will spool very fast and still give you some upper end air to grow with later.

Go with the .99 A/R EH for the 3788r and the 1.15 A/R EH for the 4202.

Anyway, that is what I would do... others may differ.
Old 04-27-2010, 02:32 PM

Well, I called Tom today at Turbo Re Source. and we decided to go with the Garrett 3788R .89 T3 HX40 outlet, Polished compressor cover. Not the Garrett Dodge 3788R. And the .89 for now untill I put the cam in there. Then he agreed I'd probably want to step up to the .99 AR EH. I'm waiting on Tom to call me back to let me know if he's got all in stock. He's an awsome guy to work with. Very knowledgeable and helpful. And he had nothing but great things to say about you Terry. thanks alot for your help. Now I just gotta plumb this thing when I get it.
Old 04-29-2010, 03:34 PM
DTR 1st Sergeant

You know, I should have looked at your elevation... the .89 will be better at altitude...
Old 04-29-2010, 09:10 PM

That's what we went with. T3 .89 A/R. And it's also got the regular 3788R compressor wheel that flows 67lbs/min. The dodge 3788R has a more agressive comp wheel flowing 70lbs/min that's prone to surging in non-cammed trucks. turbo ships friday. Tom had to piece it together for me. Wastegated turbine housing that he's tiging the flapper shut on is all he had in .89A/R unfortunately. I bought a second gen pulse manifold, HX40 downpipe, all braided stainless lines, all anodized fittings, I installed a 50mm tial anodized blue blow off valve on the cold pipe today, polished comp cover, polished aluminum 4" 45* intake tube, polished turbonetics 3" 90* elbow to tig onto comp cover, it's all either already here or on its way. I'm stoked to get this thing on the truck. I plan on taking alot of pics to post up on here.

Is it ok to get the coolant from the center water jacket plug on the head?

Im going to return the coolant to that big 90* fitting that screws on to the water pump where the heater core returns. -6AN oil feed (3788R has built in oil restrictor), -6AN water feed and return, 3/4" braided stainless oil return line is the plan. I already bought it all so I hope it'll work. What do you think?

Again, thanks for your help.
Old 11-26-2010, 11:19 AM

update? I'm considering a 3788r
Old 01-06-2011, 12:00 AM

get a cam first. it's alot more drivable at sea level. but any elevation and your surging daily. an unbeknownst to me, blow off valves only work when you have a throttle plate...
Old 01-06-2011, 08:32 AM
DTR 1st Sergeant

You can eliminate that surge with the .99 a/r housing. The wheels get too aggressive.