3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Need help with faster spool up on my 62/71

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2009, 11:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Spooler
My suggestion would be to use the Smarty and tune it for towing you just have to play with the setting to see what your particular truck will like and it is free. You already have it.
Sage advice, and that's where I'm starting.
Old 12-07-2009, 11:16 PM

Originally Posted by soulezoo
On the Camshaft, the "big stick" is more of a upper end cam. It is a little overkill for your stated purpose and the stage 2 from them is probably more appropriate. Talk to Harry at Peak performance... he used to own PDR and helped (along with Piers) to develop their cams. He currently sells the Hamilton line and is very close to Geoff at Colt cams. (Colt used to make the PDR cams and now makes the Hamilton cams) My point being, Harry has a really good feel for what would work best with your setup and goals; he is worth at least talking to. Helix is also a good choice.
I will do that! Thank You!
Old 12-08-2009, 09:05 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by wildcat
I probably wont switch to the Smarty Revo software until I have finished figuring out what the best tunes for my truck are with the TNT software.
I could be wrong, but it just seems to me that you really don't have all the mods to mess with TNT, why not get something that works well with Revo.. TNT doesn't even have a stock injector timing profile. Its a much more aggressive tune.

I am also not an auto tranny guru, but I think you need a whole lot more than a TQ converter and a VB for WILD TQ management.
Old 12-08-2009, 10:35 PM

Originally Posted by AH64ID
I could be wrong, but it just seems to me that you really don't have all the mods to mess with TNT, why not get something that works well with Revo.. TNT doesn't even have a stock injector timing profile. Its a much more aggressive tune.

I am also not an auto tranny guru, but I think you need a whole lot more than a TQ converter and a VB for WILD TQ management.
You are probably right.

I got to try Timing 4 TQ 4 RP 2 today on TNT level 1, and I felt it was much better. I'll probably just jump back down to REVO and try your recommendation of Smarty Revo SW5, TM2, TQ2, RP1, WG off
Old 01-10-2010, 02:11 AM

I got some track time in tonight.

Playing with the settings on the Smarty, from various Revo tunes to TNT, only netted about .5 second overall in the 1/4 mile.

Fastest time was 15.5 at 95MPH... With Smarty Revo TNT SW 7. TQ 4 TM 4 RP 2. EGT's were WELL in check on all runs 1250 F max...
It was GLARINGLY apparent I was losing time during spoolup, and trying to make up for lost time with spoolup on the top end.

I was doing 93 MPH at 14.2 with a STOCK turbo, of course, there was some excesssive heat...

There was a guy there with a similarly set up 2006, only real difference was his turbo was a 62/65 and he was running 13.5's consistently, on TNT SW7. His EGT was around 1300, I think.

Needless to say, I'm probably better off with the cooler power this turbo has to offer over stock, but performance taking a +1.5 second vacation is pretty much unacceptable.

I have to think that the diminished return of spending money to make it work on my truck might be a pretty foolish endeavor, considering higher performance gains with smaller turbos.

Is ANYONE besides me running this turbo, and what specific setup parameters/modifications are you running?

If I HAVE to wait until this turbo lights to "Catch Up" What will make it spool/ Boost at LEAST to the level of the wastegate setting, which is 50 PSI???

If there is nothing that will improve this Turbo's spool down low, that is fine. I will settle for at least a performance increase on the top end that can be realised as sufficient
Old 01-10-2010, 03:08 AM

You want to spool that turbo????

TST Early twins program.... Problem solved.
(5/2 TST,stock CP3, pressure box, your choice, I use EZ/2)
Old 01-10-2010, 09:13 AM

TQ managment 4 is why it is smokey off the line. It causes a touchy pedal and smoky on mine. I run lvl 5 , tq 1, tm 3 warm 4 in the winter, and it spools smoke free. I never had an auto and that seems to be involved in every "help me spool" thread but that is how I spool mine without smoke.
Old 01-10-2010, 12:34 PM

I have a few diff's...eg 65 wheel and arson 3 kit.....so apples to oranges, but i do share the 2-3-2 shift issue with tq mgmt 2 or 3....

I drive around the 2-3-2 shift issue - just lightly accelerate at those slower speeds or coast....just anything but constant throttle and it wont do it....not being on tq mgmt 4 is very helpful for reducing smoke

I run TnT lvl 7, rp 2, tq mgmt 2, timing 2 in winter and it's a perfect combo of spool, perf, mileage, drivability,.....just a blast and great all around driver....in AZ during summer, it's so hot, there's not much love to eliminate smoke...best i can do is drop it down a level or 2....

Try Timing 3 as previously stated, this should increase spool / boost at the low end.....do this while keeping pressure at 2 and see how spool / smoke is....

Similiar to the 06 you saw at the track, i can do mid 13's (13.3-13.5) all day long....and have excellent drivability....this is on tnt 7....and i have a tight single converter....

Personally, if you dont plan on going all out with a cam and sticks and pressure box and cp3 mods and.....i'd get a 62/65 as those are less required....i do plan on 50hp sticks (more for reliability with increased pressure)...and that'll be my stopping point with the truck...
Old 01-11-2010, 10:55 PM

Originally Posted by jgiachino
I have a few diff's...eg 65 wheel and arson 3 kit.....so apples to oranges, but i do share the 2-3-2 shift issue with tq mgmt 2 or 3....

I drive around the 2-3-2 shift issue - just lightly accelerate at those slower speeds or coast....just anything but constant throttle and it wont do it....not being on tq mgmt 4 is very helpful for reducing smoke

I run TnT lvl 7, rp 2, tq mgmt 2, timing 2 in winter and it's a perfect combo of spool, perf, mileage, drivability,.....just a blast and great all around driver....in AZ during summer, it's so hot, there's not much love to eliminate smoke...best i can do is drop it down a level or 2....

Try Timing 3 as previously stated, this should increase spool / boost at the low end.....do this while keeping pressure at 2 and see how spool / smoke is....

Similiar to the 06 you saw at the track, i can do mid 13's (13.3-13.5) all day long....and have excellent drivability....this is on tnt 7....and i have a tight single converter....

Personally, if you dont plan on going all out with a cam and sticks and pressure box and cp3 mods and.....i'd get a 62/65 as those are less required....i do plan on 50hp sticks (more for reliability with increased pressure)...and that'll be my stopping point with the truck...
Good post!
Old 01-11-2010, 10:58 PM

Originally Posted by JJPage
You want to spool that turbo????

TST Early twins program.... Problem solved.
(5/2 TST,stock CP3, pressure box, your choice, I use EZ/2)
Sorry.

I understand NONE of your post.

I don't suppose you could elaborate?
Old 01-12-2010, 01:37 AM

What he was saying... On the TST there is timing and Duration #'s... He's saying timing 5 duration 2 on a stock CP3/fuel pump and add a pressure box like a MP8 or a edge EZ which he uses... If you go on the TST web site and see for yourself how the box works you'll understand better... Hope this helped you a lil bit... I'd just recommend the TS performance MP8, that with the SMARTY is a good stack....
Old 01-12-2010, 09:32 AM
DTR 1st Sergeant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Sorry.

I understand NONE of your post.

I don't suppose you could elaborate?
Countryboy was almost right...

What the other poster was saying is that TST set to 5/2. Both of these are duration numbers, not timing/duration. The first number relates to "upper end" power level. That fueling will come on at a certain rpm/boost level. The second number is torque enhancement; that is to say it is a power level (both will adjust from 0-9) that causes more fueling down low, or right off idle. The "early twins" reference is a program choice. There is "late twins", "early twins" and "standard". Standard is the primary program, late twins causes the upper end fueling to start earlier based on boost and early twins starts this fueling even earlier yet, still based on boost level. Timing with TST is a completely seperate function and can be used in 3* increments with either a "set" timing pattern or "auto" where it will follow a dynamic curve.
Old 01-18-2010, 09:03 PM

UPDATE!

NICK!! (Desertchecker) Brother, I owe you a great big THANK YOU!!
Your PM to me was SPOT ON!!

He suggested that I try to adjust the little allen screw on the little brass 90 on my boost reference hose.

Tonight, I turned it in 1.5 turns, and Voila! Welcome to boost!!

Now, I can accelerate while holding the brakes and build boost! I stopped at 10 PSI @ 1500 RPM.
NO more heavy black cloud of unburned fuel, while the boost needle on the gauge rests comfortably on the ZERO!

A quick run up the highway showed an increase of max boost, to 44PSI, from 38! Unsure if it will boost higher than that right now, further testing will have to be done when it's not raining.

Tonight, I was running Smarty REVO SW#9 TQ4, TM3 RP2
If it wouldn't have worked, I was going to try RP3 then RP4
EGT's were 1250-1300 MAX, about 700-800F cruising 70 and loitering around 900-950F climbing a 6% grade, after accelerating from 55 to 75 MPH.

Smoke was minimal! Power was THERE!

The truck felt freakin Awesome!!

I'm pretty happy right now!

Coming from an electronic waste gated turbo, and no previous diesel experience prior to this truck, I had no idea that adjustment was there. I felt pretty foolish, but that quickly went away when it worked! lol
Old 01-18-2010, 09:42 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Thats a good deal!!
Old 01-19-2010, 03:00 AM

UPDATE!

NICK!! (Desertchecker) Brother, I owe you a great big THANK YOU!!
Your PM to me was SPOT ON!!

He suggested that I try to adjust the little allen screw on the little brass 90 on my boost reference hose.

Tonight, I turned it in 1.5 turns, and Voila! Welcome to boost!!

Now, I can accelerate while holding the brakes and build boost! I stopped at 10 PSI @ 1500 RPM.
NO more heavy black cloud of unburned fuel, while the boost needle on the gauge rests comfortably on the ZERO!

A quick run up the highway showed an increase of max boost, to 44PSI, from 38! Unsure if it will boost higher than that right now, further testing will have to be done when it's not raining.

Tonight, I was running Smarty REVO SW#9 TQ4, TM3 RP2
If it wouldn't have worked, I was going to try RP3 then RP4
EGT's were 1250-1300 MAX, about 700-800F cruising 70 and loitering around 900-950F climbing a 6% grade, after accelerating from 55 to 75 MPH.

Smoke was minimal! Power was THERE!

The truck felt freakin Awesome!!

I'm pretty happy right now!

Coming from an electronic waste gated turbo, and no previous diesel experience prior to this truck, I had no idea that adjustment was there. I felt pretty foolish, but that quickly went away when it worked! lol
Great ......Im glad the turbo is working for you now, enjoy it !

anytime you have any questions or need help just let me know

Quick Reply: Need help with faster spool up on my 62/71