3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Need Help In A Bad Way Part 2

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2007, 08:40 PM
wap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Need Help In A Bad Way Part 2

So, (for those of you that read the first one) I put the rail cap on and truck started after about 2 seconds of cranking and idled fine for about 10 minutes.

I took it out and it was runnin real well but had a slight surge under WOT, but I figured it was the FCA sticking a little.

Was headin back to my buddys house where the truck has sat since Satday and about half a mile from his house the truck dies and will not start.

It did pretty much the same thing, but this time I was just cruisin (after I had ran her pretty hard ealier) at maybe 60-65 and I took it out of gear. I cant remember if I hit the clutch or not, but when I took it out of gear I noticed the motor sounded differant, and well, it wasnt runnin.

I coasted into the driveway and pulled the key out of the ignition after I sat the parking break and the parking brake light stayed on, my check engine light was on, and my TST monitor was still on. There may have been other things still runnin but I KNOW these were on. But my clock on my radio was off. And I could not retrieve any codes with the truck in this state. I had to unhook the grounds on the batterys and then I could get codes.

I didnt think to see what they were but last time they were the 0191, 2509, and 0251.

I am startin to loose it. I guess I am gonna get an FCA off of my buddys 06 and try that first. Then after that I guess I will take off the mp8 and TST, then after that I really dont know.

I am not mad, never really was, but this is starting to frusterate an upset me. It is not that my truck is torn up. I am as ok with that as one can be, it is simpley that fact that I do not know what is wrong. I undertand, you play you pay, but could somebody please just tell me what to pay for so I can get my truck back on the road?
Old 04-13-2007, 05:26 AM
wap

I hate to do this but I am gonna be away from my computer the rest of the day so I am gonna go a head and bump this up.
Old 04-13-2007, 08:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
not sure if you have done it, but this is definitely a good time to be going over the truck and looking for chaffed wires. Look under the truck, in the engine compartment and in the cab.
Old 04-13-2007, 10:11 AM

A few weeks ago I had similar problems. I ended up having to buy a new ECM to fix it.
Old 04-13-2007, 10:31 AM

Will, Definitely sounds electrical...something grounding out. If it ran normal and then stopped then it must be one of the wires heading to the ECM. I'd remove the TST and MP8 and then do a patient search on all the wires coming out of the ECM....yep that is a lot but it will only take a couple of hours. Do you have a copy of the Dodge truck technical manual....that might help. ks
Old 04-13-2007, 10:40 AM

wap do you have a way to check out what your codes are?
maybe get a buddies downloader to check it out or something to clear codes or read them at least
Old 04-13-2007, 12:13 PM
Administrator/Jarhead

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Sorry that your problems are continuing, WAP. Hope things get better for you...
Old 04-13-2007, 03:26 PM

P0251 Injection Pump Fuel Metering Control "A" Malfunction (Cam/Rotor/Injector)
P0191 Fuel Rail Pressure Sensor Circuit Range/Performance

Will, Obviously your problem is somewhere around here ....I didn't find the P2509 DTC but I'm sure it is related to the fuel delivery system.

Did you put a new FCA on yet...if not do it and then report back. If you put alot of Dialectric grease on any connectors then remove it and try again. Good luck, Buddy.
Old 04-13-2007, 05:49 PM
wap

One big problem is there is NO way for me to work on the truck until Sunday, and when I can it is in a friends yard, not exactly the best place to be workin.

drillpipe, what caused your ecm to go bad???

I sure hope that is not the case BUT if it is I would like to know it so I can get on with my life and get it fixed. That is the worst part about this, I dont know what to do.

Kerry, as always you have stepped up to help me out, if only I had a nickle. Thanks man, I value your opinions and appreciate the help.

Heres, my thoughts. Try the FCA, then remove the tst and mp8. Also there has NEVER been a DL on my truck, if that matters. My thoughts are goin back to when I dropped the torx bit in the engine compartment and never found it.

Also, when you say my problem is "somewhere around here", where is "here" the ECM?

No, I do not have a copy of a technical manual.

And I dont know if can get my hand on a DL or not, but I may just buy a scanner anyway.

Also, is it possible my electical gremlin is not related to the night I modded my cp3 at all and this is just one coincidence?

Thats all for now, just got in from work and need a shower but I will check in later tonight.

Thanks guys.
Old 04-13-2007, 07:00 PM

pull the gear pump you had to drill the plate and see if the bolts are holding the pump together arnt keeping it from a complete seal ecm will kill the engine if insufficent fuel to rail any smoke while gettin on it
Old 04-13-2007, 07:46 PM
Banned

will, i dropped my torx bit too. found it between the ecm and the block, it was stuck down at the oil pan rail. really fun to get out.
Old 04-14-2007, 12:06 AM

Will, the area is between the rail pressure sensor, the Map Sensor, the FCA, and the ECM. Yes it could be completely unrelated but I think either directly or nearly related would be most likely. Someone on here must know what a DTC P2509 is... If the screws weren't tight enough....you'd think you'd have a little diesel leakage on the gear pump. Masonic-Dodge had a bunch of CP3's he was marketing....he might have some knowledge on stupid little things that might screw things up. If the torx bit got lodged anywhere near a wiring harness it wouldn't take too long to cause a problem. The wires going into the ECM are susceptible to damage where the looms end and the wires go single into the plugs. I'm sure with a little time you will eliminate all the potential problems till the real problem is located. Good luck on Sunday.ks
Old 04-14-2007, 12:28 AM

P2509-POWERDOWN DATA LOST ERROR

WHEN MONITORED
Continuous - key on or key off.

SET CONDITION
Loss of voltage detected at the ECM for a calibrated amount of time.

POSSIBLE CAUSES
  • Poor connections at the batteries
  • Low battery voltage
  • Open fused B+ to ECM
  • Open ground circuit
  • Battery + Shorted to other circuits
  • Return circuit shorted
  • Battery + shorted to ground
  • Intermittent condition
Did you run your battery's low while trying to start it???

P0251-CP3 PUMP REGULATOR CONTROL

WHEN MONITORED
When the ignition is on.

SET CONDITION
The ECM detects a discrepancy between the PWM supplied to the Electronic FCA and the PWM returned from the Electronic Fuel Control Actuator.

POSSIBLE CAUSES
  • Fuel Pump
  • (K181) FCA driver open
  • (K31) Return circuit open from FCA to ECM
  • (K181) FCA driver circuit shorted to external voltage
  • (K31) FCA return circuit shorted to external voltage
  • (K31) FCA return circuit shorted to (K181) FCA driver circuit
  • (K181) FCA driver circuit shorted to ground
  • (K181) FCA driver circuit shorted to another circuit
  • (K31) FCA return circuit shorted to another circuit
  • Intermittent condition
  • ECM
I think it is the FCA

P0191-FUEL RAIL PRESSURE SENSOR PERFORMANCE

WHEN MONITORED
At key on.

SET CONDITION
The fuel pressure sensor reading at key on does not match the expected fuel pressure reading at key on.

POSSIBLE CAUSES
  • Other DTC's present
  • Fuel rail pressure sensor
  • Fuel system tampering
  • Intermittent condition
And this code is caused from the FCA code.
Old 04-14-2007, 12:37 AM

my guess is bad FCA
P0251-CP3 PUMP REGULATOR CONTROL
Old 04-14-2007, 05:19 AM
wap

Wow, you guys reall stepped up with some good info.

53, if you dont mind could you tell me where you got info that detailed?

Drew, that is a possibility, but I got them pertty dang tight and I had several WOT runs though all 6 gears with out incident, just a slight flutter of rail pressure. Then, just crusin down the road it shut off and will not start up. I may have to do that, but with the electronics doin the funny stuff that they are, I kinda think it has to be hooked to a power wire somewhere.

Kerry, I am thinkin FCA. I am hopin FCA. I dont really know. I highly doubt I caused anthing to happen to the MAP, but the ECM seems like maybe somewhere that is very probable too. I was also thinkin, maybe TST cooldown timer where it is hooked into the fuse box too. But the first thing I am gonna do is pull the FCA.

Thanks again guys, I am off to work, but will jump back on here asap.

Oh, and I can almost promise you the 2509 is from where the batteries got weak. I was pretty sure that is why it was there, but I thought I would post it just in case I was wrong, but yes I had to jump the truck to get it to start.

Chris, how did you get your torx bit back out? I was thinking of pulling the ECM and seeing if it would fall out.

Quick Reply: Need Help In A Bad Way Part 2