3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Nav System

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2005, 05:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nav System

What do you guys reccomend for a nav system? I saw a lowarance iWAY 500c at a best buy for 700$ and I like how everything was laid out and how you can use it as a mp3 player too.
Old 08-01-2005, 06:38 PM

I have the factory nav rb4 system and like it a lot.I like it because its integral with my sirius and am/fm. One unit ,no crap all over the place.I have seen the rb1 and the rb4 on e-bay in the range you are looking to spend
Old 08-02-2005, 03:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have to second the vote for factory as the fit and finish can't be matched.

RB1 shows a map style view with a pointer wich looks cool but if you watch it you can run off the road. it used a dvd so you can't listen to a cd why in nav mode. my sister has this in her grand cherokee

RB4 not quite as cool on the display but it has a memory so one you load you destination you can listen to a CD. I have this one

As to wich one is better kind of depends on if listening to a cd while in nave more or a bit more eloborate display is more important to you. they both work very nice.

I would surf around ebay for a cheap one.
Old 01-31-2006, 10:54 AM

Rb4 Ftw!

I like the RB4,, I have the RB4,, I just wish I would have had the Sirius added at the factory. Dad-nab-it!
Old 01-31-2006, 09:43 PM

Hi, guys,

And moderators, kill this if I violate a rule here, but I work for a company (linked as my homepage in my profile) that provides mapping solutions for for handheld Palms, Pocket PCs, and some Smartphones. Built-in systems are very nice, as are the dedicated units, but for less money, sometimes significantly less, you can turn a general purpose handheld into a portable navigation system.

I have a $400 Dell handheld with a VGA screen. I use our company's maps for $99/year, and I got the 2005 update for the maps online in late March rather than starting in November like the CD and DVD-based folks with car systems. It's a lot more for me than a nav system. I can listen to MP3s, take notes, make voice recordings, watch movies, keep up with appointments, play games, record my expenses. and plan my day with it. With a $150 (or less) GPS, my handheld connects wirelessly and gives me voice directions and moving maps in English and the languages of western Europe.

Okay, I'm a bit biased, but what I don't see is why folks shell out a lot of bucks for a single-purpose device that does one or two things well when a handheld COMPUTER or even PHONE can do the same thing, plus do a bunch of other things, and be portable as well.

Okay, some of the nav systems (ie, Pacifica) have larger screens, but what good are they when you leave the vehicle?

Don't get me wrong. I don't think any of these systems is BAD. I just think that a tool that's cheaper and is more flexible in use and utility is better. Lots of nav units talk these days, but ours even says the name of the turn street!

Again, moderators, please ZAP this if this is too commercial (and let me know why, please.) And members, PM me if you're interested in this very reasonable and cost-effective alternative.

Thanks!

Lamar

PS: I'm the support guy at the company.