3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

My trucks runs out of fuel at 1/4 tank now....

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2009, 06:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i read your post. i cant compare because i dont know what my dealer did. maybe they did this and something else is wrong?
Old 06-04-2009, 06:31 PM

Well, not to be rude but if you don't know what they did and you're not taking it back to them how are we supposed to trouble shoot your truck over the internet?

I personally think the easiest thing to do, other than taking it back to the dealer, is to pull the wheel well liner out and look at what you find. If it looks like it's a draw straw, pull the bed and look into it yourself at first.

Shawn
Old 06-04-2009, 06:43 PM

lol. thats not what im saying lmfao lol. im just telling you about my experience. ill be contacting the owner again. Ill let you know what happens. im off to work tonight but tommorrow im off. ill kinda look to see what they did. ill report back as to what they did.
Old 06-05-2009, 08:54 AM
Banned

It's not your fault, or their fault. It's pretty much the nature of the kit.

I'm using the GDP walbro 392 setup, and mine runs out at 1/4 tank as well.

The problem is using a separate draw straw rather than the factory canister. The factory canister does a great job at being able to eek every little last drop available; however, when you're using a single tube inserted into an open tank, it's a different story. With 1/4 tank of fuel or less, the fuel is sloshing around in there, moving toward the back upon acceleration, toward the front on decelleration, and all around if you're not level. These tanks are not baffled at all.

If you install the vent kit, you can get your capacity back, but still run out with about 120 DTE showing on the overhead.

The Vulcan draw straw tries to address this, and there are trick aluminum bottom fuel sump draw kits as well. The other choice is to have a switch that swaps back to the factory pump when the low fuel catches you by surprise...

--Eric
Old 06-05-2009, 09:41 AM
DTR Advertiser

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I know of a kit that doesnt have that problem.......
Old 06-05-2009, 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by kantdrive55
I know of a kit that doesnt have that problem.......
????????????????????????
Old 06-05-2009, 10:07 AM

After spening 1700 on his install I doubt he's much interested...
Old 06-05-2009, 10:21 AM
DTR Advertiser

Originally Posted by Fisherguy
After spening 1700 on his install I doubt he's much interested...
I am not trying to sell him a pump. I want to help get him fixed. I definitely feel for this guy. If I took my vehicle to a shop and didn't have good results I would appreciate any help I could get. Depending on how they have hooked his up I can fix him up for about $4 plus his own labour.

But the information on a pump that didn't have the problem was for others that might be considering a pump purchase.......
Old 06-05-2009, 12:33 PM

I had a similar problem when I installed my Airdog.

The fix was to pull the bed, take out the canister and just check clearance from the draw straw to the bottom of the tank.

Of course, I had cut the draw straw too short so instead of putting a new draw straw on it I used the tubing rated for fuel over the end of the draw straw. This allowed me to "fine tune" the length of the straw. Clearance is the thickness of a dime.

I won't run out of fuel until well after the overhead says 0 DTE. I have never run out of fuel but have gone a few miles with the overhead at 0.

It can be a PITA to take off the bed but that is the only way to get the draw straw length as good as can be.

The best alternative is a setup like the liberty canister or self modded like ******.

Good luck my friend.
Old 06-05-2009, 12:37 PM
DTR Advertiser

We modify the stock in tank pickup so there is no issues with running out of fuel at all. There is also no guess work on how long to make the draw straw, and best of all you dont need to pull the bed......
If anyone wants to see how to do it, pm me and I can get it to you.
Old 06-05-2009, 04:00 PM
trx

Originally Posted by kantdrive55
We modify the stock in tank pickup so there is no issues with running out of fuel at all. There is also no guess work on how long to make the draw straw, and best of all you dont need to pull the bed......
If anyone wants to see how to do it, pm me and I can get it to you.
Interested PM please
Old 06-05-2009, 04:10 PM

I'm interested too, how can you modify the in tank pickup without dropping the tank or lifting the box to remove the canister, especially considering the stock in tank pump.
Old 06-05-2009, 04:15 PM

Its all on the install.I have a homemade drawstraw and have zero 1/4 tank issues.You can all say its this and that but it comes down to the install.If done CORRECTLY you will not have problems.Cutting the pick up to the proper length is the key.Having the tank sagging on the belly(as it does when fuel Is in it)is critical when determining the length.
Old 06-05-2009, 04:15 PM
DTR Advertiser

Ok I should have rephrased this a bit. Send your request to pat@bd-power.com Then I can just attatch to the reply.
Old 06-05-2009, 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by homewrecker
Its all on the install.I have a homemade drawstraw and have zero 1/4 tank issues.You can all say its this and that but it comes down to the install.If done CORRECTLY you will not have problems.....

Yes that's true, but all the draw straw replies are kinda off topic and not really doing Sallyman much good since he had his FASS plumbed to the factory feed from the stock canister.

Quick Reply: My trucks runs out of fuel at 1/4 tank now....