3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

my input on the Revo 5.3

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2008, 07:34 AM
tcr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I thought it was a great Smarty improvement, not needing a computer to make the adjustments. No it's not on the fly, but it's not 45 mins on the computer either.
Old 04-14-2008, 07:34 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Dwitt0187
tritont

what were your egts like on the dyno with the single charger??

danny
the gauge doesn't even get looked at. I'm sure they're up there though.

A run in the 1/4 will bury the gauge by half track but, once I hit 3rd they start to drop.

For a 5 second dyno run and a 12 second track run.... it does fine
Old 04-14-2008, 07:36 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by tritont
Just do when you change program levels
That's what you do!

Step 1: Turn key on and plug in Smarty
Step 2: Adjust options (such as RP, timing, TM, etc.) in the menu
Step 3: Smarty will write those options to it's memory
Step 4: Choose your Catcher # and begin programming (your recently chosen options will be included in that Catcher update)
Old 04-14-2008, 07:37 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by tcr
I thought it was a great Smarty improvement, not needing a computer to make the adjustments. No it's not on the fly, but it's not 45 mins on the computer either.
If you ask me.... there no reason to change any of that if it's preset.

I ran the beta 4.2 every time I was at a track and it did as well as this new software without worrying about changing a thing.

I see no point in storing anything for the next change. If I were to load a different catcher software, I'd just change those settings then

Bully Dog can do it.... I don't see why the Smarty can't
Old 04-14-2008, 07:44 AM
Banned

well just call me confused and a . I have no idea what I used at the track or on the dyno then.

As I said, if you still have to take the 10 minutes to upload another catcher software..... you might as well just change your settings then.

If I ran down the track and realize I want more timing, I would have to reload the whole program again ??? that doesn't make sense..... again, I see no point to storing to memory.

It oviously was my imagination then when I changed going down the road but, I took everything to default and the truck acted like it was on default without the added parameters. Totally different than when at the track
Old 04-14-2008, 07:49 AM
Banned

If you ask me.... there no reason to change any of that if it's preset.
No reason to adjust RP, timing, TM for tuning purposes? I think it's great that Marco is giving us this new level of adjustability that we've never had before!

I ran the beta 4.2 every time I was at a track and it did as well as this new software without worrying about changing a thing.
There are still standard tunes available on Mads site. You're not forced to use the Revo. Even with the Revo you don't have to change any options if you don't want to. You can simply plug it in and update using the default settings for each option.

I see no point in storing anything for the next change. If I were to load a different catcher software, I'd just change those settings then
...and that's exactly what you're doing! The Smarty has to "remember" your option settings somehow. Like I said, it doesn't matter if the next ECM update is in 10 seconds or in 10 days.

You're overthinking the whole thing. Have another cup of coffee and sit back and think about it man.
Old 04-14-2008, 07:57 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by jrussell
No reason to adjust RP, timing, TM for tuning purposes? I think it's great that Marco is giving us this new level of adjustability that we've never had before!
My truck has never needed that. My timing is already high as is my RP. This software doesn't take away from what I have, it only adds. That's cool if you need that I suppose

There are still standard tunes available on Mads site. You're not forced to use the Revo. Even with the Revo you don't have to change any options if you don't want to. You can simply plug it in and update using the default settings for each option.
nothing has matched 4.2 that I've used as far as racing. The 4.4 is pretty good on the road

.and that's exactly what you're doing! The Smarty has to "remember" your option settings somehow. Like I said, it doesn't matter if the next ECM update is in 10 seconds or in 10 days.
It doesn't have to remember anything if you set the parameters the next time you load a catcher tune. I understand why it does though.... so you don't have to reset them again.

You're overthinking the whole thing. Have another cup of coffee and sit back and think about it man.
I understand what you're saying and suppose you're right but, in my mind.... it's pointless. It's suppose to be a race tune ( the " R " anyway ) and what a pain in the butt to have to make a run, decide you want to try more timing so, you have to spend another 10 minutes loading just to realize you needed less timing.... there's another 10 minutes.

The beta's weren't adjustable but, with their preset parameter always did my truck right.
Old 04-14-2008, 08:15 AM
Banned

It doesn't have to remember anything if you set the parameters the next time you load a catcher tune.
Yes, it does. It still needs the parameters in memory in order to apply them to a Catcher update. Even the default parameters are stored in the Smarty's memory. No memory = no parameters.

I understand what you're saying and suppose you're right but, in my mind.... it's pointless. It's suppose to be a race tune ( the " R " anyway ) and what a pain in the butt to have to make a run, decide you want to try more timing so, you have to spend another 10 minutes loading just to realize you needed less timing.... there's another 10 minutes.

The beta's weren't adjustable but, with their preset parameter always did my truck right.
You're not forced to change any options though. You only need to change options if you want to.

Tuning a truck is not always fun, but once you find what works best for your mods/application then it's all downhill from there.
Old 04-14-2008, 08:17 AM
Banned

here's how I'm looking at this. The " R " is for me, a tune for the track. When at the track, I want to most powerful tune I can have which in this case is level #9... that's it. Not #8 or #7

So, if I want to change any of those parameter, I have to spend all night reloading level #9

get what I'm saying..... if I spent a night at the track and wanted to try 8 different parameters, that's 80 minutes spent loading software when I could be making runs down the track ?
Old 04-14-2008, 08:23 AM
Banned

here's how I'm looking at this. The " R " is for me, a tune for the track. When at the track, I want to most powerful tune I can have which in this case is level #9... that's it. Not #8 or #7

So, if I want to change any of those parameter, I have to spend all night reloading level #9

get what I'm saying..... if I spent a night at the track and wanted to try 8 different parameters, that's 80 minutes spent loading software when I could be making runs down the track ?
I completely understand what you're saying and wish it wasn't that way, but would you rather have a program with NO adjustable options at all?

If so, those are readily available in the Beta 4.X, 4.11 on Mads site, and even Revo TNT/R using the default options.

I just don't see why the added adjustability is really a concern? You only have to wait that 10 minutes if you want to play with the options.
Old 04-14-2008, 08:33 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by jrussell
I completely understand what you're saying and wish it wasn't that way, but would you rather have a program with NO adjustable options at all?

If so, those are readily available in the Beta 4.X, 4.11 on Mads site, and even Revo TNT/R using the default options.

I just don't see why the added adjustability is really a concern? You only have to wait that 10 minutes if you want to play with the options.
Well, maybe if I see a real change from past softwares when changing things... it may be worth it but, as I said... the 4.2 didn't need adjusting as it was ***** to the wall at the track. I will say this tune is a bit smoother.

I did net some higher hp numbers but, not a lot. The number in my sig is the corrected number. Uncorrected is very close to what I already have with the 4.2

Guess the theory behind it is it's a all in one software.
Old 04-14-2008, 08:49 AM
Banned

Well, maybe if I see a real change from past softwares when changing things... it may be worth it but, as I said... the 4.2 didn't need adjusting as it was ***** to the wall at the track. I will say this tune is a bit smoother.

I did net some higher hp numbers but, not a lot. The number in my sig is the corrected number. Uncorrected is very close to what I already have with the 4.2

Guess the theory behind it is it's a all in one software.
Were your numbers with the 4.2 corrected or uncorrected?

I'd like to know how it does in the 1/4 mile. Your 1/8 mile time is about the same as mine (8.0xx), but your speed is MUCH faster. I'm only going about 85mph in the 1/8th.

What was your 1/8 mile time and speed with 4.2?
Old 04-14-2008, 08:54 AM

triton...

Just load SW9 TNTR and leave all on default except 4k rpms...

I bet you will be happy then. If you need to dial in some parameter...change it after. It only takes seconds...not minutes.
Old 04-14-2008, 08:57 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by cquestad
triton...

Just load SW9 TNTR and leave all on default except 4k rpms...

I bet you will be happy then. If you need to dial in some parameter...change it after. It only takes seconds...not minutes.
Yeah, I understand that's what can be done. It takes at least 10 minutes to load to the truck from the Smarty though... not seconds.

I didn't say I wasn't happy just I think it's kind pointless to have to reload the same level over and over just to change parameters.

I also know we can't have it all and this is getting closer than anything was to being adjustable
Old 04-14-2008, 08:59 AM

Parameters take seconds...SW's take minutes.

Quick Reply: my input on the Revo 5.3