3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

my input on the Revo 5.3

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2008, 06:38 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tritont
The thing I really like is the adjust on the fly. I left the track on the setting above and cruising down the road took all to default settings. Even still on #9 it was very tame with everything else to default.
I can't believe nobody mentioned this but, adjust on the fly with Smarty?
Old 04-14-2008, 06:51 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by jrussell
I can't believe nobody mentioned this but, adjust on the fly with Smarty?
sure, once the program is installed, you can change all the adjustable parameters on the fly. Just not the levels of tuning.... 1 - 9
Old 04-14-2008, 06:53 AM
Banned

sure, once the program is installed, you can change all the adjustable parameters on the fly. Just not the levels of tuning.... 1 - 9
Marco posted that the other options wouldn't change unless you reprogrammed the ECM with a Catcher tune. Did I miss something?
Old 04-14-2008, 07:00 AM
Banned

Marco posted that the other options wouldn't change unless you reprogrammed the ECM with a Catcher tune. Did I miss something?
I think that's what this new software is all about..... you don't have to reload the software to change parameters.
You just connect the box, change your setting and go on your way.

It says, writing to ECM or something like that then you just unplug.
Old 04-14-2008, 07:12 AM
Banned

I think that's what this new software is all about..... you don't have to reload the software to change parameters.
You just connect the box, change your setting and go on your way.

It says, writing to ECM or something like that then you just unplug.
I thought the new software just had those options available, not the ability to program them on-the-fly?

Mine says "writing to memory" when I change options, but I was under the assumption that meant writing to the Smarty's memory (for use in the next ECM update)?
Old 04-14-2008, 07:17 AM
tcr

jrussell, you are correct. The Smarty Does NOTHING but save the info, then loads the changes when you reprogram w/ a catcher #. No on the fly anything.
Old 04-14-2008, 07:18 AM
Banned

I thought the new software just had those options available, not the ability to program them on-the-fly?

Mine says "writing to memory" when I change options, but I was under the assumption that meant writing to the Smarty's memory (for use in the next ECM update)?
I could be wrong but, that would be point less. Why wouldn't you just change the setting the next time you uploaded a program ?

Maybe Bob or Marco can jump in to straighten this out. I think the whole point was to have a software that you didn't need to upload just to change that stuff.
Old 04-14-2008, 07:23 AM
Banned

if that's the case.... that sucks ! To have the ability to change those parameter without reloading is what I assumed Marco was after.

You make one run down the track and figured you'd like to try something else.... just change the settings and not the whole catcher tune.

When I did it at the track, my times changed and when going down the road, it ran differently once changed. It must have been my imagination
Old 04-14-2008, 07:23 AM
tcr

For once I know what I'm talking about, sorry to crash the "on the fly dream" You can make the changes on the fly, they just will not load into the ecm.
Old 04-14-2008, 07:25 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by tcr
For once I know what I'm talking about, sorry to crash the "on the fly dream"
how do you know ? And what's the point of writing them to memory.... just do it the next time the software is changed ????

In thinking about it... you're likely right but, if you ask me.... that's completely pointless
Old 04-14-2008, 07:27 AM
Banned

I could be wrong but, that would be point less. Why wouldn't you just change the setting the next time you uploaded a program ?

Maybe Bob or Marco can jump in to straighten this out. I think the whole point was to have a software that you didn't need to upload just to change that stuff.
When you change options it stores the settings in the Smarty's memory and applies them to the next ECM update....whether that update is in the next 10 seconds or next week doesn't really matter. Marco said the only way to get those options into the ECM is with a regular ECM update.

I think the whole point of the software is to allow users to choose the options they want (timing, RP, TM, etc.) without having to update their Smarty from the computer. The 30-40 minute computer update is the part that sucks and with this new software you rarely (if ever) have to do it.
Old 04-14-2008, 07:27 AM
tcr

I went through this when I was having my issues, nothing was changing until a new catcher was loaded.
Old 04-14-2008, 07:29 AM
Banned

When you change options it stores the settings in the Smarty's memory and applies them to the next ECM update....whether that update is in the next 10 seconds or next week doesn't really matter. Marco said the only way to get those options into the ECM is with a regular ECM update.

I think the whole point of the software is to allow users to choose the options they want (timing, RP, TM, etc.) without having to update their Smarty from the computer. The 30-40 minute computer update is the part that sucks and with this new software you rarely (if ever) have to do it.
I assume it did change on the fly as my track times changed for the better once different settings were put in.

It makes sense what you're saying but as I said..... it's pointless ??? Just do when you change program levels
Old 04-14-2008, 07:31 AM

tritont

what were your egts like on the dyno with the single charger??

danny
Old 04-14-2008, 07:33 AM
Banned

how do you know ? And what's the point of writing them to memory.... just do it the next time the software is changed ????

In thinking about it... you're likely right but, if you ask me.... that's completely pointless
Here's the post from Marco explaining it... https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...25#post2007625

It's definitely not pointless. Before you had to wait for 30-40 minutes for a complete computer update just to try another level of TM or timing. Now you can try any levels you want and only have to wait 5 minutes for an ECM update!

Quick Reply: my input on the Revo 5.3