3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

my input on the Revo 5.3

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2008, 12:52 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The file is Revo_TNTR5_ "My name" I'm just going to PM Bob with the problem and hopefully we can figure it out. I'm glad David's dyno is going to be present at TS.
Old 04-13-2008, 02:05 PM

yes it was the arias, I didnt know cummins had any other avaliable pistons. Good info. I do get the 50% vs. 110% on the cp3. I never asked john about longevity of the pump as I figured bein brand new he would have no idea till one fails.

Yes I knew about the zz but I had talked to a few people that had done tons of head work only to find a hundred or so cracks and said it dynoed lower. I think it was sheid that did the work if i remember right. There was also a thread that stated there wasn't much to gain becouse the air is forced anyway.

Good info thanks lots. Just piecin it together one day at a time.
Old 04-13-2008, 02:13 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by tristan21
yes it was the arias, I didnt know cummins had any other avaliable pistons. Good info. I do get the 50% vs. 110% on the cp3. I never asked john about longevity of the pump as I figured bein brand new he would have no idea till one fails.

Yes I knew about the zz but I had talked to a few people that had done tons of head work only to find a hundred or so cracks and said it dynoed lower. I think it was sheid that did the work if i remember right. There was also a thread that stated there wasn't much to gain becouse the air is forced anyway.

Good info thanks lots. Just piecin it together one day at a time.
I'm sorry, I just realized what I wrote about the piston.

I did go with stock Cummins pistons. The are shaved with Swain coated ceramic tops and teflon skirts. That's where their longevity will come from.

It was the rods that are shot peened. They're known for acquiring hairline splits in them and the shot peening them increases there durability.
Old 04-13-2008, 02:38 PM

The shot peening any better than cryo? I know a place that does that locally that swears by it. I know sbc cryos there dd clutches. I dont remember if you told me before but did you just choose to do the internal work for longevity sake and to have it built rather than wait till it breaks or did you already break and then did the work?

I assume those were mostly sheids recommendations?

I think kman had head problems with his head work too? Cant say I just remember him having internal problems and sheid had done quite a bit of work on it. He switched shops. Sounds like you have had better luck.
Old 04-13-2008, 02:59 PM
Banned

The shot peening any better than cryo? I know a place that does that locally that swears by it. I know sbc cryos there dd clutches. I dont remember if you told me before but did you just choose to do the internal work for longevity sake and to have it built rather than wait till it breaks or did you already break and then did the work?

I assume those were mostly sheids recommendations?

I think kman had head problems with his head work too? Cant say I just remember him having internal problems and sheid had done quite a bit of work on it. He switched shops. Sounds like you have had better luck.
I'm satisfied that I used Scheid but, they recommend way different than I had them built.

Scheid is definitely not the problem when having machining done. They have their own guy that does most all of their machine work and if I'm not mistaken.... Hasiley also does machining for them. That's who did my block and head. They've both been in the HIGH hp sled pulling business for a long time so, I'm sure they know what they're doing as far as machining.

From what some of the high hp pro diesel guys I've talked to have said... cyro isn't all that. Maybe for gassers but, not for the stress we put on out trucks. That's what I've heard... I haven't used anything cyroed and don't plan too.

Scheid wanted to rebuild my truck back to stock. They only wanted to bored the one fried cylinder and sleeve it. That's really all that needed to be done to get my truck running again. I suppose they figured it would cost me a lot less cash.

I, on the other hand wanted a built engine. One cylinder needed to be bored so I had them do them all. Then, I had them send the new pistons off for coating. My injectors came to them from Extruded, springs and cam came from Don and the rest I had that they put together. The machining was the most important part since I also had them install 14mm main studs. That can only be done ( right ) when done on the correct milling machine. otherwise you can put the blocks integrity at risk.

I wanted to build my truck for not only hp but for longevity. I guarantee something will eventually break but, I also bet what ever it is, isn't going to break as soon.

Scheid did recommend the shot peen rods. They're the ones that see them split a lot in their pulling trucks. I don't pull but figured if I build the bottom end close to what their pulling truck have done.... I'll be in pretty good shape.
Old 04-13-2008, 03:05 PM

Thanks again man. I know from speaking to you how intentionally and happily **** you are so im sure its all good info.
Old 04-13-2008, 03:07 PM
Banned

Thanks again man. I know from speaking to you how intentionally and happily **** you are so im sure its all good info.
Old 04-13-2008, 03:11 PM

Your truck was sweet triont! Thanks for letting me use your window chalk
Old 04-13-2008, 03:18 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by ModManiac
Your truck was sweet triont! Thanks for letting me use your window chalk
thanks dude.

If you would have told me it was to write " FOR SALE " on a Ford... I'd have done it for you LOL . I was hoping to line up with the propane driven beast ????
Old 04-13-2008, 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by tritont
thanks dude.

If you would have told me it was to write " FOR SALE " on a Ford... I'd have done it for you LOL . I was hoping to line up with the propane driven beast ????
Lol I wrote my numbers on my white dodge and my buddy dan with the orange ford said let me see that for a sec. It wouldnt have been a race I walk him pretty bad with just my mp-8
Old 04-13-2008, 08:09 PM
Chapter President

Sweet numbers, cant wait to see it run at TS
Old 04-13-2008, 09:35 PM

Tritont now thats funny you say that Schied didn't recommend shot peened rods to you but they pushed them to me. Funny how that works. You also say they wanted to put yours back stock but wanted to stud everything on mine. I guess that may be the difference in stores. By the way nice numbers.

Tristan I believe it was me that told you I had my head broke in 4 spots after I put too much timing to motor.Whoops! Schied did work it over before that which thinned it out ,which altimately made it crack easier. Also Haisely was the one who told me that they had a head that they had $30,000 in work in and was so thin that it leaked, was capped in 2 ports and still couldn't see any results on dyno.
Old 04-13-2008, 10:47 PM

Yep you were one of them. I had read several posts on non productive headwork. I still plan for just the exhaust. the zz looks tough but if I was after looks it would look alot different under the hood.
Old 04-13-2008, 10:47 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by blownsmoke2
Tritont now thats funny you say that Schied didn't recommend shot peened rods to you but they pushed them to me. Funny how that works. You also say they wanted to put yours back stock but wanted to stud everything on mine. I guess that may be the difference in stores. By the way nice numbers.

Tristan I believe it was me that told you I had my head broke in 4 spots after I put too much timing to motor.Whoops! Schied did work it over before that which thinned it out ,which altimately made it crack easier. Also Haisely was the one who told me that they had a head that they had $30,000 in work in and was so thin that it leaked, was capped in 2 ports and still couldn't see any results on dyno.
actually I said they did in the last sentence :-)

I think when my truck went there, they looked at it as a authorized Cummins dealer repair. Everything was done over the phone as I live 500 miles from there. the truck was delivered to them.

That's the impression I got when I first talked to them. Once they knew what I wanted.... suggestions were made but, I vetoed several and went with what I wanted done.
Old 04-13-2008, 10:52 PM
Banned

my theory on the ported head is, it's not so much about gaining hp. Boost is restriction, right ? The less restriction there is, there will be less cylinder pressure and the truck will run cooler

We open up the air intake, we put different intake manifolds on, we open up the exhaust... so, why not the head too ?

Believe me, I'm no expert on the dynamics of these engines but, this is the way I understand it to work

Quick Reply: my input on the Revo 5.3