3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

My Icebox for the '07 arrived today

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2008, 07:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveB.inVa
Heres a tip that may help you keep a little cleaner.

When you drain your truck do all your other service and make the filter change one of the last things you do. A good amount of oil off the top of the filter will siphon off and keep you from sloshing it around.

While I'm at it... when you change your fuel filter take a big gallon zip lock bag, open it and stuff it into the area right beside the filter canister. After you break the filter seal and let it drain for a second just dump the filter, lid and all into the bag and pull the whole thing out. Then you can get the lid off and put the new filter on.

You can also get a short piece of old water hose and it will slip snugly over the filter drain. Stick the hose into an old 2 liter bottle and it'll keep diesel off of the front axle as well.

Gunny,

When I change my oil I take the intake tract off. I did it with the stock intake and with the cool hose. Makes things a lot easier and it gives me a chance to inspect the turbo as well as the intake tract. Its a win win situation.
another option is to remove the right front fender lining to gain access to the oil filter. this step involves a lil more work, i find it to be helpful
Old 08-16-2008, 10:06 AM
D45

Just FYI: Icebox intakes are currently being sold with S&B filters

Better filtration and just as good of CFM

Also, the Cool Hose that comes with the Icebox has the following benefits:

■ 6- Layers of reinforced webbing with a stainless steel wire wrap for lasting strength and durability
■ Silicone rubber construction
■ The Cool Hose insulates intake air from underhood heat better than any other aftermarket tube
■ Smooth bore hose with long sweep bends to minimize air flow restrictions and pressure drop
■ 4” inside diameter throughout the hose
■ Superior fit and finish
■ Easy to install
■ Dyno tested to produce more power than any other aftermarket intake tube. An additional 3.0 HP** (w/ stock fueling) or an additional 5.5 HP** (w/ power box set @ 80 HP) and increased torque throughout the RPM range

I was looking at the Amsoil Injen intake or the Icebox.

With the poor customer service of Amsoil lately, along with the possible filter failure issues and Amsoil not covering the warranty on the filter..........I am going to order an ICEBOX this weeked!
Old 08-16-2008, 10:07 AM
D45

http://dieselpowerproducts.com/DPP_Cool_Hose.php

Underhood temperatures can climb to over 150 degrees when towing up a steep grade. Underhood heat surrounding the intake tube will conduct through the tube material and increase the intake air temperature by the time the air reaches the turbocharger. Different tube materials conduct this heat at different rates; aluminum tubes have the fasted heat transfer, followed by steel and then plastic. Rubber has only 1/36th of the thermal conductivity of plastic intake tubes. The silicone rubber “Cool Hose” provides the coldest air to the turbocharger when compared to any other aftermarket intake tube. “Cool Hose” with its true 4” inside diameter and long sweeping bends has one of the lowest air flow restriction and pressure drop design in the industry.
Old 08-16-2008, 11:47 AM

Happy to hear you are going with the Icebox!

I did check the cleanliness of my filter, and I posted the results on a site I frequent more often than this one. I'll go get it and put it up here for you guys.
Old 08-16-2008, 11:50 AM

from post on another site 8/13/08

Just got back in from checking for dirt in my torque tube. I figured it would be easier to remove than the Amsoil Ea filter, just a couple hose clamps.

There was a very fine, very LIGHT coating of dust on the inside of the tube. It was just BARELY enough to make a visible mark with my finger. I almost didn't notice it at all. It's so fine, and so light, that I didn't bother to try to take a picture, It was hard enough to see it looking very closely at it, I doubt seriously it would be noticible on a camera. My truck is driven in the Desert Southwest, and this is the results of about 5K miles, some of it being off road, all of it being dusty.
I actually expected to find absolutely nothing, but then I've NEVER found absolutely nothing, even with the S&B filters I run in my Jeep and Rock Buggy.
(Which BTW, I consider to be outstanding filters.)

I decided to take the filter off and check it.
In the pic you will notice what appears to be a "Band" of discoloration. It's actually a reflection of the rubber flange, for lack of a better term for the "Step" in the filter.

Also, because I had to wrestle this monster out, some dirt and debris from that is visible.

Other than that, looks clean here.
Here's a pic:

I wonder if after a little more time and the filter loads up some, if it will filter a little better? I've noticed that happening with the S&B...

Overall, I'd have to say I'm not disappointed in the performance of the Amsoil Ea Filter.
But my experience in this region has been there was always some kind of dust getting past the filter.

Also, I don't run extended oil change intervals in anything I own out here.
Old 08-16-2008, 07:02 PM

I've also noticed a bit of fine dust getting past the Amsoil filter and when cleaning with compressed air some dust passed through to the inside. The afe proguard 7 doesn't let anything past.
Old 08-16-2008, 07:37 PM
Banned

Did you install this for performance or because you like the sound and filtration,and remember it doesn't matter to me ?
Old 10-15-2008, 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by #2 only
Did you install this for performance or because you like the sound and filtration,and remember it doesn't matter to me ?
Actually, I guess performance and sound... I had a drop in Ea in the stock box, so I assumed at the time not much better filtration...