3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

My Bully Dog Power Pup is here....

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2006, 10:35 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Bully Dog Power Pup is here....

Got it this morning in the mail, get her downloaded inthe Performance mode (90 HP). Runs real good, strong smooth power. I noticed about a 4-5 LB increase in boost. Stock I was running (stock air filter, stock exhaust) 24 -25 lbs of boost. On my 90HP setting, I was seeing28-29 lbs of boost, MAY have hit 30 for a second, but was a constant 28-29 through the gears. That is with stock exhaust still, and a stock air filter. My stock air box has been swiss cheesed, and the silencer removed however. Going to run th extreme later ontoday or tomorrow, and compare EGT's. That is why I want to run on the 90 setting for a day or so, to get a good baseline on EGT's with the stock exhaust, then the 130Hp setting with the stock exhaust. My 4" exhaust is here and the Magnaflow muff should be here next week (the muff was on backorder) as I am making my own exahust. My GDP kit should be here at the end of this week, or first part of next week, so I can keep in eye on FP with the stock LP. I am curious to see how much teh exhaust will help in reduction in EGT's. Will soon find out soon enough.
Old 05-23-2006, 10:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
keep us posted, I am running the Extreme setting on a completely stock truck. The egt stats would be nice. The guys at bullydog said I could run the CL setting as long as I wasn't in the throttle all the time but the egts are what concerns me.
Old 05-23-2006, 10:58 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Black Dog
keep us posted, I am running the Extreme setting on a completely stock truck. The egt stats would be nice. The guys at bullydog said I could run the CL setting as long as I wasn't in the throttle all the time but the egts are what concerns me.

Will do. I am curious myself, to see first hand the results of EGT's with a freee flowing exhuast system. My Modded 7.3 I had, never did that. I bought the truck, had all the parts inmy garage waiting onthe truck. Rolled it into the garage, and installed EVERYTHING with like 50 miles on the truck. Exhaust, intake, chip, gauges. So, I never baselined my truck, which I regret. Idi run my truck at an 1/8th mile track one day, and the numbers were impresive:

4" exhaust, Air Raid intake, 4 postion chip from DI (stock, 75, 100, 125) all with a stock tranny and converter

3 passes on the stock setting ran a best of something like 11.30 @ 60 MPH
3 passes on the 125 setting ran a best of something like 10.10 @ 69 MPH

So it picked up a little over a second and 9 MPH in the 1/8th mile, which for just a chip was pretty darn impressive, as least to me it is.

The truck ona chassis dyno put 320 HP and 639 lb ft of torque to the tires
Old 05-23-2006, 11:29 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
i have a K&N FIPK and a strait pipe.
on my 04, the Extreme did not really seem more (SOTP) than Performance mode.

i don't think the stock fuel system puts enough juice up for Extreme to be used 100%.

i'm pretty well scared of my tranny, i have a horrible 2nd gear shudder,
but that's easily solved with a signature loan for ~4k & a phone call.
real reason i don't extreme

LMK what the extreme does for you, SOTP-wise.
Old 06-06-2006, 09:32 AM
Banned

OK guys. Computer has been down for a week, BUT, I have been able to REALLY get a good feel and observation of how my truck is doing with my new mods. OK here goes.

90 setting stock exhaust, stock air filter on my private land, have a standing mile of room. From 0-110 MPH, boost 28-29 LBS of boost, EGT's would evetnually get to around 1400 degrees @ 110 MPH. Just crusiing around, EGTS 600-800 65-75 MPH, flooring from a dead stop1000-1100 pretty quick and just a real slow creep from there.

130 setting, same as above will hit 1300-1400 real quick and make it's way to 1500+ @ 100 MPH. Crusing around, same EGTS as above.

130 setting with NO EXHAUST, just the stock down pipe, stock air filter. GDP Big Line kit from Glacier, with FP gauge. When cold FP @ 10 PSI. After running pretty hard, FP down to 5 PSI @ idle and 1-2 PSI under boost But, I will see 30PSI of boost with a spike of 31-32 LBS and then comes back down to 29-30PSI steady. EGT's cooled down BIG TIME with no exhaust. Were the same as the 90 setting with the stock exhaust. From 0-110MPH would hit 1000-1100 and eventually creep to 1400 by the time I hit 110 MPH.

I have found out, the stock exhuast has to go (and that is why I cut it off, waiting for my Magnaflow muff, already have all of my 4" stuff here). Also, I have found out the stock LP is not adequate, as mentioned above, seeing 1-2PSI under boost .

My muff should be here any day now, and once I get that on, will post results of EGT's with NO exhaust AND THEN with my 4" and Magnaflow in place, as well as a replacement LP in place as well.

So, in theory, gauges SHOULD be used running stock exhaust and a 90HP or higher setting and stock LP in place.

If you have a free flowing exhaust and running on a 90 setting, with NO load behind you, really the only gague I would recommend is the Fp gauge to watch your LP. If you are hauling, an EGT should be used as well.

Anything over 90HP, I would recommend AT LEAST the FP and EGT gauge's regardless of load or exahust etc...

And of course, gauges are safe insurance regardles of any mods you have done, but the EGT and FP is what you really need to keep an eye on, and if you have an auto, a tranny temp would be nice as well.

Since I bought my truck used with 90+K miles on it, I can not tell you what clutch I have (stock, stock replacement, aftermarket, have NO idea) but I can tell you that whatver is in there, that I can NOT get it to slip, even on the 130 setting and putting it under load (high gear 20-30 MPH, flooring it) or (dead stop 0-110 MPH blast, speed shifting) NO slippage what so ever.

Oh yeah, I have found the 5600, to be a GREAT shifting tranny under those high speed blast's. The thing shifts pretty rough, under regualr driving, but man, this thing rocks, and goes into gear REAL easy under full throttle I DO NOT lift off the throttle when changing gears, and JUST tap the clutch pedal and slam each gear home (speed shifting), this thing ROCKS. It shifts better then any manual tranny that I have had in any of my race cars (Doug Nash/Richmond/Tremec) and the Tremec was Pro Shifted from Liberty, and the NV5600 goes into gear EASIER then any of those, go figure.

I know, I know, the tranny is not made for that, and I will blow it up, but I HAD to try it so in case I came across another CTD or PSD or Dmax or a ricer

OK, will get back with more results later
Old 06-06-2006, 12:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
good thing you have the 130hp extreme. i have Crazy Larry and by 60mph i am at around 1450 degrees and climbing as fast as the boost gauge does.