3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Muffler is done now to research intakes

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2006, 03:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Muffler is done now to research intakes

Ok.....now the exhaust is done. Lets hear about intake kits. I want one that will give me better air flow. Lets hear opinions.
Old 03-13-2006, 03:22 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The AFE Stage 2 w/pro guard 7 filter will give you so much flow, you will be able to hear your turbo spooling backing out of your driveway.

They also clean your air better than stock air box. My last oil analysis showed real low wear metal numbers and only 4 ppm of silicon.

There are other aftermarket air systems/boxes that probably do great too. But my experience with the AFE is awesome.

If you want your truck to sound like a Semi-truck with the turbo whistle while rolling down the highway, go AFE.
Old 03-13-2006, 03:37 PM

I inquired about air intake kits from the owner of TST prouducts. He said he dyno'd every brand out there and found no measurable inprovement. He said he runs a stock air filter element in the stock airbox and he cut out the outside(pass side) of the stock box under the element for more flow. He also said the oils that K&N and others use will get pulled into the intercooler with all the vacuum in the intake and then "cook" there and build up a restriction. I take his opinion seriously as he was a cummins engineer for 30 or so years before starting TST products. He could have been like some people and sold me an air intake kit to make money off me but he was honest and said what he found out on his own dyno.
Old 03-13-2006, 05:25 PM

hmm keeping on that note. anyone with a swiss cheesed airbox get any more whistle with the stock filter?

But to keep on subject, when i go with an aftermarket intake, i think im gonna go with the AFE stage II PG7. I want the whistle it has, and have heard lots of good things about it.
but what ataboy9026 is saying makes me wonder maybe i can get by with just a swiss cheesed airbox
Old 03-13-2006, 06:40 PM

I used the Stage 1. don't want no whistle.Like QUIET!
Old 03-13-2006, 07:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by HorseHauler
hmm keeping on that note. anyone with a swiss cheesed airbox get any more whistle with the stock filter?
Stock box with the front (grill side) of box cut out and a basic Fram filter minus the extra foam jobby from the factory. Absolutely no difference in sound that stock setup.
Old 03-13-2006, 09:05 PM

I have a unique set up. I believe it to be one of a kind. Custom made Torque Tube,(made by me) $34. Custom made set up for AEM dry-Flo air filter, .98C. Mine improves spool up and throttle responce. Very little Turbo whinne. Love it. javahjoeo from Kokomo
Old 03-14-2006, 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by ataboy9026
I inquired about air intake kits from the owner of TST prouducts. He said he dyno'd every brand out there and found no measurable inprovement. He said he runs a stock air filter element in the stock airbox and he cut out the outside(pass side) of the stock box under the element for more flow. He also said the oils that K&N and others use will get pulled into the intercooler with all the vacuum in the intake and then "cook" there and build up a restriction.

That's why I like the Performance Systems Mfg kit. It was featured in a recent TDR issue. The majority of people that use it say their EGT's run about 50 degrees cooler.

Karl
Old 03-14-2006, 10:02 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Rather than throw my money to someone else... I utilized my knowledge and fab'ing skills and built my own intake. Its rewarding, functional, cost effective and attractive!
Old 03-14-2006, 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by Hounddog
I used the Stage 1. don't want no whistle.Like QUIET!

I the stage 2 not the filter with the box that is supposed to quite down the whistle. I was under the impression that the stage 1 was a open filter that will be louder?
Old 03-14-2006, 12:42 PM

The stage 1 is open but not loud.I DID NOT want to do away with the baffles in the inlet tube etc.Can hear it a little more if next to a building etc.I had no interest in a loud whistle or doing away with the silencer ring in the turbo.I hear some go by in a parking lot and that noise would make me climb a wall if I had to hear that constantly.Some Fords are obnoxious!
Old 03-14-2006, 05:14 PM
Banned

theextricator,

TexasCTD is on the money about the AFE Stage II PG7 system, best product we have! Do NOT buy an intake for HP, buy it for EGT reduction and turbo spool up. Plus an intake will allow the best BTU use of the fuel that you have from a stock or modded truck. While there is HP in it, you want it for CFM of air thru the engine!

Mark @ DPPI
Old 03-14-2006, 08:30 PM

See my sig. I have just the right amt. of whistle. When you get on it you can here that it definately has a turbo but it won't do it at any steady speed.

If I were doing it again I would go w/ AFE Pro-Guard 7 drop-in for the stock air box.

I'm no air flow guru but I just have a hard time forking out the $$$ they want
(ANY of them) for a filter & a little plastic.

I will say I DEFINATELY increased my flow, however great or small.
Old 03-14-2006, 11:06 PM

ive got quads intake, seems to work well