3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Muffler Delete from RPM Installed today...

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2006, 10:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Muffler Delete from RPM Installed today...

After listening to a few trucks (thanks goes out to those who let me listen and took me for a ride), I opted to go with the muffler delete option on my '04.5.

And, I'm GLAD I did...sounds very nice in my opinion. The kitty is still on it, so it's pretty mild until you lay into it...just what I wanted!

Now what? It's stock...I'm thinking filter/air intake system, followed by a set of gauges and a box.

BTW, RPM shipped the muffler delete to me in San Antonio and it got here next day. Great service on the phone also! The piece fit very nicely...I clamped it to make sure I liked the sound, then went ahead and welded it...

SQ
Old 12-28-2006, 11:07 PM
Banned

be a real man and ditch the kitty!
Old 12-29-2006, 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by Forrest Nearing
be a real man and ditch the kitty!

I don't want TOO much bark until I can get some bite!

She's slow right now. I haven't launched in 4/high yet, but I'd be willing to bet that she wouldn't keep up with my stock mustang at this point.

SQ
Old 12-29-2006, 10:24 AM

Hows the drone at highway speeds? Glad you to hear you got good service out of rpm,because theyve got some good prices.Ive heard a few others complain about slow shipping, but I guess ya cant belive everything ya read.
Old 12-29-2006, 10:25 AM
Banned

it won't be that much louder, but it'll have a little more rasp to it, and you'll hear the turbo a lot better

I drug a 99-04 GT pretty bad yesterday
Old 12-29-2006, 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by ROOSTER108BM
Hows the drone at highway speeds? Glad you to hear you got good service out of rpm,because theyve got some good prices.Ive heard a few others complain about slow shipping, but I guess ya cant belive everything ya read.
The only drone I've heard is very minor...and it is only when pulling a hill or hard on the throttle without a downshift (loading/bogging the engine).

Otherwise, it's non-existent. Cruising at 60-80mph, it sounds like stuck from inside the truck...at least I can't hear it over the wind noise and my tires (which aren't loud, Nitto Terra Grapplers).

Driving beside it, you can hear it...but it's nice in the truck.

I'll pull my boat with it in the coming week if the weather is fair. We'll see what I think.

Nothing but good to say about RPM. I had friendly phone service as well as quick shipping. Granted, I only live a few hours away.

Forrest...I'm getting there.
Old 12-29-2006, 05:55 PM

Air intake and a box

I made my own air intake setup, pics in my gallery...
had some 5" exhaust pipe and a 4" downpipe laying around...

So far ive been happy with my Edge with Attitude setup

As soon as I add my glacier fuel pump ill get a fuel pressure, trans temp, boost and real egt guage before I do the goerend trans and big single

But all in due time, air intake and a box is a good place to start.
Old 12-29-2006, 06:12 PM
Banned

Lose that kitty. If you end up getting a big turbo whoa its gonna whistle for blocks. I cant wait to get my truck back on tuesday and listen to that Silver Bullet 66 scream through those straight pipes.
Old 12-29-2006, 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by ShawnQ
After listening to a few trucks (thanks goes out to those who let me listen and took me for a ride), I opted to go with the muffler delete option on my '04.5.

And, I'm GLAD I did...sounds very nice in my opinion. The kitty is still on it, so it's pretty mild until you lay into it...just what I wanted!

BTW, RPM shipped the muffler delete to me in San Antonio and it got here next day. Great service on the phone also! The piece fit very nicely...I clamped it to make sure I liked the sound, then went ahead and welded it...

SQ
How did the install go? I have my RPM pipe sitting in the parts room. I went to install it and found that the factory had put a pretty good crimp in the pipes. I did not want to ruin the muffler taking it off to keep my options open in the future.
I had a good experience with RPM also.
Old 12-29-2006, 09:34 PM
Banned

just cut your stock muffler... if you hate it, any muffler shop on earth can weld your stock muffler back in
Old 12-29-2006, 10:01 PM

Hey Cowboy 6, good luck not trying to ruin the muffler. I was thinking the same thing and wanted to save it untill I got started............the sawzall and chisels came out five minutes later. The muffler is completely distroyed now but you know what, it's ok 'cause my truck sounds great and a stock muff is never going back on.
Old 12-29-2006, 10:39 PM

The best way I know of to minimize the damage to the muffler is as follows. Take an air cut-off wheel tool and make two opposing cuts on the sides of the muffler pipe where it slides over the other pipes, being careful to only cut thru the outer layer. Doing this will allow the muffler pipe to expand enough to slide it off of the other pipes. A little penetrating oil, and alot of wiggling is required at this point. Put something under the converter to help stabilize the head pipe so you don't risk damaging it, or the turbo while fighting the muffler. As an added bonus, this excercise is good for stress relief, and burns approximately 1500 calories in 15 minutes. If you want to put the muffler back on later simply squeeze the muffler pipe back together using the same mounting clamps that you took off to begin with.
Old 12-29-2006, 10:45 PM
Banned

I don't see why you guys don'tjust cut it w/ a sawzall...

ifyou don't like it, a muffler shop can just weld it back up
Old 12-29-2006, 10:51 PM

Originally Posted by Forrest Nearing
I don't see why you guys don'tjust cut it w/ a sawzall...

ifyou don't like it, a muffler shop can just weld it back up
That would be too easy, and not nearly as challenging.
Old 12-29-2006, 11:12 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
got a link for RPM?

muff delete pipe is $100 else where. seems steep.

swiss cheese'd my airbox (3 holes with DeadBolt install kit) and now the Filter Minder stays down low, was almost half drawn down before

i never saw a gain from the holes in stock airbox to a K&N FIPK

Quick Reply: Muffler Delete from RPM Installed today...