3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Mudflaps vs. Flares

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2006, 10:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mudflaps vs. Flares

I have a brand new set of mudflaps ready to be installed.

But I am really starting to like the Bushwhacker's.

My questions/concern is that if I go with the Bushwhackers I won't get the mud protection that the flaps offer, which is the main reason I would be adding something in the first place. Form always follows function!

From what I've read there isn't a way to combine both and I don't believe Bushwhacker makes a flare/flap combination?

Thoughts?
Old 12-01-2006, 10:50 AM

I installed the Power Wagon flares, might go to the Bushwackers because my tires are right at the edge. I also installed the Dura Flaps. They come pre-drilled to the factory holes, they are really nice flaps. They made a nice combination and look good. I have no pics at this time so I cannot show you the install. The Dura Flap site has some with the combination I think. Also, some here are using them combined and do have pics.

CD
Old 12-01-2006, 11:06 AM

Who said you can't add mudflaps with fender flares? I see them running around here all the time. Heck, take a look at the pics of my '98 in my gallery - flares and flaps - I wouldn't have it any other way.
Old 12-01-2006, 11:36 AM

Flares and Flaps

I have Bushwackers and flaps on mine looks great and works great.
Old 12-01-2006, 12:45 PM

As long as they're not the molded mud flaps (just the flat ones) your golden.
Old 12-01-2006, 12:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I tried the Bushwackers on mine, but if your tires do not stick out past the fender well then they don't look very go to me. I took them off and put on Husky Molded flaps over two and a half years ago. They have protected the rockers well even with BFG 315s. I have no rock paint chips.

Old 12-01-2006, 03:35 PM

I have the Dodge molded ones.

Will they work with Bushwhackers?
Old 12-01-2006, 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by Festus
Who said you can't add mudflaps with fender flares? I see them running around here all the time. Heck, take a look at the pics of my '98 in my gallery - flares and flaps - I wouldn't have it any other way.
I checked out your gallery but didn't see any pics of a combo (you have a ton of pics in there!).

If anybody has any pics of bushwhackers (picket style) with mudflaps I would love to see 'em.
Old 12-01-2006, 06:42 PM

Sorry its just a side view I have one of the back but its to dang dark. I tried to get away w/ just bushwackers but my tires are to wide.
Old 12-01-2006, 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by LanceK
Form always follows function!
I think you mean, in this case, function follows form. Otherwise, you would get the Bushwacker flares because they look good (form) rather than having the (function) of the mud flaps! (Just giving you a hard time; I'm a philosopher, I cannot help it! )

Anyway, I have the Bushwacker flares and love them, but I think as long as you got a good looking (AND fucntioning) mud flap; go for them both!
Old 12-01-2006, 06:54 PM

i did the same thing, bought moulded mud flaps, and then i bought the flares before installing the flaps. i never did put the flaps on, because they didn't work out for me. i run 2 different rims ,summer and winter. the stock rims and 315's will work with the mud flaps,don't cover all the tire, but would help alot. the aftermarket rims i have are an inch wider, and different off set, in which the mud flaps would have done nothing for the out side of the tire. the flares do not cover enough area at the bottom to stop the stone chips, and now i have many stone chips at the bottom of my doors and box.i am thinking of getting some big rubber flaps, john deere style, and mounting them with a fab up bracket. i don't care how red neck it will look, when i get this thing painted in the spring, i want to keep it looking like new paint for a little while.
Old 12-01-2006, 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by pullin hard
i did the same thing, bought moulded mud flaps, and then i bought the flares before installing the flaps. i never did put the flaps on, because they didn't work out for me. i run 2 different rims ,summer and winter. the stock rims and 315's will work with the mud flaps,don't cover all the tire, but would help alot. the aftermarket rims i have are an inch wider, and different off set, in which the mud flaps would have done nothing for the out side of the tire. the flares do not cover enough area at the bottom to stop the stone chips, and now i have many stone chips at the bottom of my doors and box.i am thinking of getting some big rubber flaps, john deere style, and mounting them with a fab up bracket. i don't care how red neck it will look, when i get this thing painted in the spring, i want to keep it looking like new paint for a little while.
That's where the 3M Mylar tape would save you money and headaches! Even though my tries stick out, I have NO CHIPS at all because the 3M protects it all! Worth its weight in PLUTONIUM!!
Old 12-01-2006, 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by Lundee
Sorry its just a side view I have one of the back but its to dang dark. I tried to get away w/ just bushwackers but my tires are to wide.
Man, nice truck and even nicer House!!!!!!
Old 12-01-2006, 07:31 PM

Thanks boostjunkie!
Old 12-01-2006, 08:46 PM

D.Wiggs....No I really do mean form follows function. Meaning it must work well first before any aesthetic benefit is considered. In this case the Bushwackers look great but I don't know what the protection capabilities are compared to the mudflaps.

So if the bushwackers look great but don't keep the crud off my truck I won't be gettin' 'em. Whereas if the mudflaps don't look as great but do the job they will get my vote.

The actual order of the words in the phrase is reverse of what the phrase actually means....

Quick Reply: Mudflaps vs. Flares