3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

MPI Twins are in...WOW!

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2007, 09:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MPI Twins are in...WOW!

Two weeks ago, a couple of large boxes show up at my door from MPI. I open them up and find a big 62/71/13SS turbo, an even bigger S400 turbo (this thing is huge) , perfectly welded and powdercoated hot/cold pipe, 5" downpipe, a box of labelled fittings/hardware, and everything else needed to thow these bad boys in my truck, including a detailed set of instructions. I was like a kid at Christmas!

Unfortunately, they had to sit in my garage for a bit as I finished finals. So after my last week of school, I messaged Mark (aka 53Willys) to see if he'd help with the install. He came over on Tuesday morning and we worked for a couple of hours pulling off parts and mounting the turbos.

One of the install steps requires pulling a freeze plug to be used as an oil drain line for the top turbo. Mark had heard stories of someone dropping the freeze plug into the block and having a helluva time getting it out (we've got to learn what NOT to do from somebody, right?, thanks Shane!). Since we didn't have the convenient plug removing tool, Mark decided to drill a screw partially into the freeze plug, wrap a zip tie around the head of the screw (to hold onto so the plug didn't fall in the block), and then carefully tap it loose. My job was to hold the zip tie. I let go for about two seconds while it looked like Mark was repositioning himself and before I got my hand back up there, he popped it loose, realized the zip tie was starting to fall into the block, and he grabbed it at the last second! Phew, thanks Mark!

I was busy the next few days with work and family stuff, so I wasn't able to really get back to it until Thursday night and Friday. The instructions were self-explanatory so it was just a matter of following the directions step-by-step. I decided to go 5" all the way back from the turbo, so I also installed the ShopDiesel exhaust as well as a 51" Donaldson.

After installing the exhaust and admiring the newly installed twins, I could not wipe this huge grin off my face. This spot in the engine bay is absolutely perfect for a set of twins. Nathan's kit goes together flawlessly and they just look like they're supposed to be there!

It was about 11pm at the time, so I started her up and let her idle for about 5 minutes while I checked for leaks and whatnot. The first thing I noticed is that this exhaust is actually quieter than my stock 4 inch with the MBRP muffler. I was a lil disappointed with the raspy MBRP sound. Now I finally understand what everyone has been saying about the Donaldson. This thing sounds great.

Okay, back to the twins! I hopped in and put it in reverse. Immediately, I noticed a faint jet sound coming from the turbo, and again...big cheesy grin! While cruising down the road, the sound that these turbos make is amazing! I think I'm in love! The instructions say to take it easy for the first 100 miles, so I drove it around for about 15 minutes admiring my new turbo sounds!

I found out that night that the ski resort I go to was opening up their big lift (9990) for the first time of the year tomorrow. And since we just got about 20 fresh inches of snow AND it was going to be blue skies, it was very difficult to go to sleep. I didn't know what was going to be more fun, driving the truck up to the ski resort or riding the fresh snow.

Well, the snow ended up being great and the drive was even better. I started to open her up a lil more on my way home. These twins keep pulling and pulling! On the freeway going 65 mph on dry roads (temps were in the 20s) the truck would spin the tires (35" Toyo MT) when that big turbo got into full boost! I don't know if they'll do this when it's warm out, but it's pretty funny to be able to spin the tires at speed on the freeway! I still have yet to see the EGTs go over 900 degrees. I should've done this ALONG time ago!

I'll be changing the oil this afternoon and then I'll be taking it out again for some longer full throttle runs. I'm gonna pick up Mark and take him for a spin, so hopefully he'll have some feedback...and maybe it'll get him to start working on his twin project.

I have a bunch of other pics if anyone is interested in seeing shots of something in particular, let me know.

Jared
Attached Thumbnails MPI Twins are in...WOW!-dadsc06963.jpg   MPI Twins are in...WOW!-dadsc06965.jpg   MPI Twins are in...WOW!-dadsc07017.jpg  
Old 12-23-2007, 09:18 AM

That does look like a well put together kit. Glad to here every thing went on ok and it looks great.
Old 12-23-2007, 09:27 AM

Couldnt agree more on all accounts, stupid low egts and a wicked whistle! Love my MPI Twins!

Old 12-23-2007, 10:29 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What turbos?

And actually as far as pictures go, I know it's not directly related to this thread, but if you wouldn't mind taking a few shots of your exhaust set up that would be great. I am planning a set of MPIs in Feb or Mar and I want to do the same thing to the exhaust. Does the place you got the rest of the exhaust have a website?
Old 12-23-2007, 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by Sapps
Couldnt agree more on all accounts, stupid low egts and a wicked whistle! Love my MPI Twins!

So do they all whistle a lot? Is there any way to quiet it down? I installed an AFE intake on my truck for two days and took it off because - to me - the loud whistle is obnoxious.
Old 12-23-2007, 10:34 AM
trx

Nice write up...Whats the cost on this kit and what supporting mods are needed?
Old 12-23-2007, 10:40 AM
Banned

that first pic is a thing of beauty, capable of bringin a tear to the eye, and the installed shot, well , lets just call it the money shot! nice choice and have fun !
Old 12-23-2007, 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by omaharam
So do they all whistle a lot? Is there any way to quiet it down? I installed an AFE intake on my truck for two days and took it off because - to me - the loud whistle is obnoxious.
Mine whistle, but it's not the whooshing sound you hear from the AFE, it seriously sounds like a jet whistle. It's not obnoxious...I actually leave my radio off just so I can listen to it...haha!
Old 12-23-2007, 10:54 AM
trx

what you got the twins in and haven't updated your sig
Old 12-23-2007, 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by jaredb900rr
Mine whistle, but it's not the whooshing sound you hear from the AFE, it seriously sounds like a jet whistle. It's not obnoxious...I actually leave my radio off just so I can listen to it...haha!
The jet whistle is exactly what I was referring to. Now I'm starting to wonder if twins are for me. It's a daily driver and we tow our camper a lot. I'm not in my 20s anymore and don't want in cab noise. I did MBRP exhaust with cat delete and ended up adding an additional muffer where the cat was to keep cab noise down.
Old 12-23-2007, 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by trx
what you got the twins in and haven't updated your sig
Okay, signature is updated!
Old 12-23-2007, 11:21 AM

The jet whistle is exactly what I was referring to. Now I'm starting to wonder if twins are for me. It's a daily driver and we tow our camper a lot. I'm not in my 20s anymore and don't want in cab noise. I did MBRP exhaust with cat delete and ended up adding an additional muffer where the cat was to keep cab noise down.
I will try to record a sound clip and shoot it over to you. It's not obnoxious like the Ford Powerstroke 6.0 when you straightpipe it. That thing is crazy loud and you can hear it from around the corner. There is a whistle there, but I couldn't imagine anybody not liking it! The benefits of twins far outway a lil noise. Plus, if it ended up being too much, there's always sound deadening products you can cover the cab in.
Old 12-23-2007, 11:22 AM

Right on Jared!! those look amazing!!
Yes putting your twins on made me want to get mine on BAD..it will be a while tho.

MPI's kit is REALLY well put together...Nathan has built a very complete..easy for the user to install package..I was really impressed
those pics don't do the powder coating any justice it really sharp in person.
I am still waiting for jared to come give me a ride in that thing!!

Thanks for the invite on the install...I had fun
Old 12-23-2007, 11:24 AM

MPI Twins

Get it with the upgraded "race housing" on the S400. For some reason it quiets that setup a lot. Not near the whistle that my much smaller A2k/A5k setup had. Also, per Nathan, it provides more power.
Old 12-23-2007, 12:54 PM

I agree my 62/71/13 - 80 mm B2 run quieter than my towing twins did.

Quick Reply: MPI Twins are in...WOW!