3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

MPI Twins Are In!!! (Pics Inside)

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2008, 06:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I to am running stock head bolts for now.. Whats max boost one should run on stock bolts? So are you saying if you were running studs you wouldn't even have the blow off valves?
Old 06-04-2008, 07:09 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by blwnsmke
I to am running stock head bolts for now.. Whats max boost one should run on stock bolts? So are you saying if you were running studs you wouldn't even have the blow off valves?
The answer really depends on who you ask. The 3rd gens can take more boost with stock head bolts than the 1st or 2nd gens because we have a better multi-layer head gasket.

I've been told 50psi is a good safe max on stock head bolts, but people have also blown HG's at lower boost levels so there's always some amount of risk involved. Mine has hit 64psi in cold weather without popping, so I would say 50psi should be relatively safe.
Old 06-04-2008, 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by jrussell
The answer really depends on who you ask. The 3rd gens can take more boost with stock head bolts than the 1st or 2nd gens because we have a better multi-layer head gasket.

I've been told 50psi is a good safe max on stock head bolts, but people have also blown HG's at lower boost levels so there's always some amount of risk involved. Mine has hit 64psi in cold weather without popping, so I would say 50psi should be relatively safe.
64psi!!! jeez!! with head studs is blow off valves still needed or a good idea? Or with head studs you can pretty much let the turbos spin hard as they can and not have to worry about popping a head gasket?
Old 06-05-2008, 07:16 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by blwnsmke
64psi!!! jeez!! with head studs is blow off valves still needed or a good idea? Or with head studs you can pretty much let the turbos spin hard as they can and not have to worry about popping a head gasket?
I would say they aren't needed with head studs. I think the only time you would need to worry about the HG is if you had a huge set of twins and a TON of fuel pushing 80psi+ of boost.
Old 06-05-2008, 08:21 AM

I just ordered a HTT 62/65/13ss to run till I get the rest of the twins. I will probably do a 42 with this turbo due to elevation. What kind of boost levels will I see when I finish the twins.
Old 06-05-2008, 11:26 AM

where can I get ahold of MPI? Do they have a websight? I can't find one anywhere
Old 06-05-2008, 11:36 AM

http://www.maximizedperformanceinc.com/pricing.htm
Old 06-05-2008, 12:20 PM

Unless your Jeff Garmon who supposedly has a secret to tighting them, and supposedly he still runs stock bolts on his 10 sec 12v truck. One that note when i get twins put on zIm making my truck to him for some of his magic
Old 06-05-2008, 12:45 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Hintz
Unless your Jeff Garmon who supposedly has a secret to tighting them, and supposedly he still runs stock bolts on his 10 sec 12v truck. One that note when i get twins put on zIm making my truck to him for some of his magic
Yeah, if I was closer to him I would have taken mine there to have the stockers re-torqued. I've heard it's not real cheap though...about the same cost as a set of ARP's (not installed of course).

One reason he can get away with using the stockers on a 10 second truck is because the compression is lowered so there's less force to lift the head.
Old 06-05-2008, 12:55 PM

Yeah, if I was closer to him I would have taken mine there to have the stockers re-torqued. I've heard it's not real cheap though...about the same cost as a set of ARP's (not installed of course).

One reason he can get away with using the stockers on a 10 second truck is because the compression is lowered so there's less force to lift the head.
Yea that makes sense, but still running around 80 psi on stock head bolts its fairly nuts. By any chance do you know the exact price of it? I havent talked to him Im just going by what some guy was telling me that I met.
Old 06-05-2008, 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by Hintz
My truck is at Jeff's shop now, because i blew my head gasket (excessive blow-by). He say's I was very lucky to catch it early and my "block was pristine & the head looked good" also. I had my mpi twin's, F1 cam & springs, arp head studs sent to his shop to be installed, and he was adimant about just putting a new head gasket in and NOT installing any of the part's I had shipped to his shop until I could afford to pull the motor and shave the piston's, oring the head and have head work done. So be AWARE!
Old 06-05-2008, 06:15 PM
DTR Advertiser

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
nrussell,

Are you saying that Jeff would not install any of the parts you purchased until you rebuild the engine and shave the pistons?

No cam, no springs, no twins, and no studs?

I have to disagree with all of that. If that is the case.
Old 06-05-2008, 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by Don M
nrussell,

Are you saying that Jeff would not install any of the parts you purchased until you rebuild the engine and shave the pistons?

No cam, no springs, no twins, and no studs?

I have to disagree with all of that. If that is the case.
Yes Mr Don, he did. I was very perplexed myself. He did get the injectors yesterday, and is going to install them. I did ask him to install the ARP studs when they arrived, but he says they have not arrived yet. I will have to find other "means" I guess, whatever!
Old 06-05-2008, 06:48 PM
DTR Advertiser

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Everything you have can go on now. Im sorry you are having problems.
Old 06-05-2008, 06:51 PM

I would say they aren't needed with head studs. I think the only time you would need to worry about the HG is if you had a huge set of twins and a TON of fuel pushing 80psi+ of boost.
Well Ill be putting a 62 over s400 with stock head bolts for now. Would it just be extra insurance to run the two blow offs? If you didn't run them, when would the turbos stop spooling? Whenever they can't move any more air?

Quick Reply: MPI Twins Are In!!! (Pics Inside)