3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Motor Blown!

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2007, 07:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Motor Blown!

Well I don't know if some of you know it but I blew my motor up in my 05 and they didn't warranty it so now I am gonna build it biggere and badder. It's going back to get bored and a rebuild kit and I am going with a streetable cam haven't decided which one yet, arb head studs, phat shaft 64 12 turbo, 100 horse don m injectors with a fass system plus with my edge. Also on top of that I am gonna go ahead and get a mitchell dual disc clutch. I was just kinda wondering any oponions on this and what you guys would advise. This truck is a daily driver but will hit a couple truck pulls a year. I just really can't have another motor blow up that sucks. So what do you all think would be a good streetable truck and kick some you know what at the fairs?
Old 08-18-2007, 09:18 PM

they aren't that bad to do, if you need any help, drop me a line.

If you considering building it, I would at the least get the pistons ceramic coated. Do you have a HP goal?
Old 08-18-2007, 09:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by lmills

If you considering building it, I would at the least get the pistons ceramic coated. Do you have a HP goal?
what is the cost of a rebuild on these motors? including labor?
Old 08-18-2007, 09:44 PM

last one I did was approximately $1700 for pistons, rings, bearings and gaskets. Line boring, torque plate honing cost around $800 if memory serves me correct. I supplied the labor. In addition to the usual rebuild we did a cam, springs and twin turbos. We also had to replace the head from excessive cracks.
Old 08-18-2007, 10:46 PM

Why did the motor blow?
Old 08-18-2007, 10:50 PM

what does coating the pistons do?
Old 08-18-2007, 11:09 PM

Originally Posted by jwb600
what does coating the pistons do?
Reduces friction and prevents scuffing and galling of the cylinders. Drops the oil temps. a little as well. We do it to our hopped up four wheelers
Old 08-19-2007, 12:51 AM

I thought the ceramic coating was on the piston crowns and was to keep some heat out of the pistons and have more energy pushing down for more work?
Old 08-19-2007, 01:26 AM

If coating the pistons does the same as it does on a gasser motor it is not worht the money. The coating is gone in 5k miles.
Old 08-19-2007, 06:24 AM

there are 2 different types of coatings. There is coating for the skirts that reduces scuffing and ceramic coating for the piston crowns. Personally I would do both. The price is not very much for the added protection. Especially when you factor in the rest of the rebuild price.
Old 08-19-2007, 07:09 PM

Sorry to hear about your motor
Old 08-19-2007, 07:27 PM
Banned

I just had mine built from the ground up so I know what you're in for.

The prices given above are a tad low by any means. Maybe if you rebuilt with all stock components, didn't have to replace key ( expensive ) components and did all the labor yourself... it could be done ???

hope it works out easy and cheap for you. I'd be interested in hearing also why it happen
Old 08-19-2007, 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by tritont
I just had mine built from the ground up so I know what you're in for.

The prices given above are a tad low by any means. Maybe if you rebuilt with all stock components, didn't have to replace key ( expensive ) components and did all the labor yourself... it could be done ???

hope it works out easy and cheap for you. I'd be interested in hearing also why it happen
Maybe if you paid someone to do it. However I did trhe work and have the receipts if you would like to see them....
Old 08-19-2007, 07:58 PM
Banned

Maybe if you paid someone to do it. However I did trhe work and have the receipts if you would like to see them....
I'm not arguing with you about it and you probably have connections to acquire parts at cost but, for anyone to take it some place... it's gonna cost a lot more than you mentioned. If one were to build a stock engine I'd say you're right but, to use high end components.... even doing the labor yourself would cost way more.

New pistons alone are pushing 1K ( especially coated ) The machine work alone is pushing 1K ( head/cylinder work ) heck, one of Don's cams is pushing 1K

As I said, without major components replacement, I suppose it can be done. Gaskets, seals and bearings are a drop in the bucket compared to the rest.
Old 08-19-2007, 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by tritont
I'm not arguing with you about it and you probably have connections to acquire parts at cost but, for anyone to take it some place... it's gonna cost a lot more than you mentioned. If one were to build a stock engine I'd say you're right but, to use high end components.... even doing the labor yourself would cost way more.

New pistons alone are pushing 1K ( especially coated ) The machine work alone is pushing 1K ( head/cylinder work ) heck, one of Don's cams is pushing 1K

As I said, without major components replacement, I suppose it can be done. Gaskets, seals and bearings are a drop in the bucket compared to the rest.
those numbers were in line with what I said LOL. Pistons were about $950. Gaskets, bearings and misc rebuild stuff was around $650-700. Then the machine shop was $800. We were going to opt for the coated pistons, but the owner wanted to save money?!?!? Not sure how much damage $360 could have done to his wallet after an almost $12,000 dollar repair bill.

Quick Reply: Motor Blown!