3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

More questions about Smarty Jr.

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2007, 07:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by soulezoo
They all add timing. You need smarty "sr" for no added timing.
Could you explain the differnce between the no added timing and added timing?

Thanks
Old 12-04-2007, 07:50 PM
DTR 1st Sergeant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Treker
Could you explain the differnce between the no added timing and added timing?

Thanks
Well there are others that can explain it better than I can, but essentially the factory timing means the injection event comes on late in the piston stroke to help with emissions and engine quietness. Adding timing results in that injection event occurring earlier on the compression stroke which results in a more efficient burn, lower egts and better MPG and a little power too. Too much timing, which can occur when stacking two (like a programmer with a module) power adders that both add timing, can result in a grenaded engine. So, Smarty offers two tunes, even numbered sw's without timing and odd numbered sw's with timing. Smarty JR was not necessarily designed with stacking in mind, even though it can be, that is why it has timing on all 3 files.
Old 12-04-2007, 10:12 PM

This might be getting off the subject , but I need to know if the Smarty Jr. with added timing results in injector rattle . IVe been running a pressure box and have injector rattle , willl the Smarty Jr. exhibit this ?? any info appreiated.
Old 12-04-2007, 10:54 PM

I just installed my JR yesterday and did notice a little timing rattle, but it is not a significant amount IMO. At least not enough to shy me away from using it.
Old 12-04-2007, 10:57 PM

injector rattle

I have only run #1 (economy) so far and have not noticed any injector rattle from
idle up thru 65 mph cruising, or while shifting thru the gears.

Not a complete test but all I've noticed so far.
Larry
Old 12-05-2007, 02:55 AM

Mine is noisier than stock. Running the performance setting.
Old 12-05-2007, 07:57 AM

I'd like to hear from the man himself concerning "injector rattle" with the installation or the Smarty JR. Is the added timing responsible for this annoying sound. I have the [pressure box on it right now and the rattle is something I"d like to get rid of. Will the Smarty Sr. have injector rattle also??
Old 12-05-2007, 08:00 AM

Since the Jr is thought for stock trucks it adds timing in all softwares.
That's the reason for the noisier engine.

Now let's define the difference between " injector rattle " and "engine rattle".

Injector rattle is a by product of raised rail pressure. Except for the beta 42, 43, & 44 softwares Smarty does NOT add any rail pressure thus the injector rattle is not caused by Smarty / Smarty Jr.

Engine rattle,well that's another story.
Let me start with saying, what's often called "engine rattle",

I call DIESEL.

It's the combustion noise of a correctly timed injection event. Correctly timed for DIESEL engine fuel efficency, not gasser type quiet engine.
Soulzoo has been pretty good explaining the injection timing. Yet the "little power" gained with a correct timing in the case of the CR = 40 Hp. Yup, that's 40 Hp gained with just the timing! Most of all, these 40 ponnies are FREE. No more fuel used than stock! The engine is more fuel efficient...

Furthermore, depending upon where we look at in the dyno graph the HP gain due to the advanced timing can be up to 70Hp. The 40 ponnies gained I mentioned above are the peak hp, while the 70 hp gain is in the higher Rpm range.

Engine rattle? Repeat after me, it's a DIESEL...

Marco
Old 12-05-2007, 10:16 AM

Yeah, you want to hear injector rattle, run the old-style EZ box on level 6 or the old-style Ramifier cranked up to 100%.

It's a lot different than the timing rattle from advancing timing on a TST, or the timing rattle from a Smarty.

I just wish there was a way to make our trucks sound like a 24V 2nd gen! Now, that's rattle!

(Plus they sound so much better straight-piped)
Old 12-05-2007, 10:42 AM

Thank you Marco & Soulezoo -- very interesting... This is my first diesel truck, have been involved with diesel tractors for years.

I'm curious though, how does a reprogram of the ECM generate 100+HP?
Old 12-05-2007, 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by Marco

Engine rattle? Repeat after me, it's a DIESEL...

Marco

What? I bought a diesel?

Old 12-05-2007, 10:53 AM
DTR 1st Sergeant

Originally Posted by Treker
Thank you Marco & Soulezoo -- very interesting... This is my first diesel truck, have been involved with diesel tractors for years.

I'm curious though, how does a reprogram of the ECM generate 100+HP?
A lot easier to explain than to do, and Marco recently spelled this out elsewhere, on a CTD there are essentially four items to manipulate, as far as the ECM is concerned, to raise power. Timing and duration of the injection event, fuel pressure supplied to the injector, and boost levels. (Boost tends to be more a function of mechanics and dynamic exhaust flow but wastegate control, total boost and other ECM funtions have an effect). Because of inherent qualities of Diesel (vs gasser) being throttled by fuel as opposed to air (like gasser), those manipulations of the ECM can give substantially more performance than similar mods done to a gas engine.
Old 12-05-2007, 10:58 AM
DTR's 'Wrench thrower...' And he aims for the gusto...

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Well said Marco and JCLeary,

A properly running diesel has combustion noise. I don't want to sacrifice efficiency for quiet.

As soon as I got my truck I started looking for a practical way to advance the timing and how far. I'm very happy with my Smarty and the truck is to with it's rattle.

Celebrate diesels for what they are, torquey, efficient and noisy. If someone wants quiet they should get a gasser.

John
Old 12-05-2007, 11:19 AM

Celebrate diesels for what they are, torquey, efficient and noisy. If someone wants quiet they should get a gasser.
Yes, that sounds correct to the old diesel nut.

BUT, immagine the new guy on the block. He's always had a gasser... First thing to do with a gasser that all of a sudden develops such an "engine rattle" is to shut of the rattle rattle engine ASAP and start looking what's wrong with it!
I'd do it with a gasser.

I guess, once upon a time, we all were new to the diesel.
Old 12-05-2007, 01:43 PM
DTR 1st Sergeant

Originally Posted by Marco
I guess, once upon a time, we all were new to the diesel.
I've been around diesels all my life (40+ years; dad was a truck driver and diesel mechanic) and am still new to them...

Quick Reply: More questions about Smarty Jr.