3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

More questions about an exhaust tip....

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2005, 10:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question More questions about an exhaust tip....

Hey guys...

Getting alot of soot build up on my bumper and fender. Time for a stainless tip!

What do you all recommend. I would prefer not weld it on. Also I don't like the clamp style just because you can see it. I have heard there is a press on type. Any one have one? I would like the end to be rolled if possible.

Thanks for the help.
Old 06-23-2005, 10:47 PM

I got mine from Genos. No clamps, no welding. Had to heat it in the oven to install. Sounds like what you might be looking for. I'm quite happy with mine.
Old 06-23-2005, 10:55 PM

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
I could not see a change in the control of soot on my R/R quarter or rear bumper, but if that's an issue for you, you need to go with a turndown. I have a 5" x 13" Magnaflow S/S Rolled exhaust tip welded onto my OE exhaust pipe. Given the price of a good quality tip, I'd personally weld it on for theft reasons.
Greg

Old 06-24-2005, 04:23 AM

The trick is to not cut any of your tailpipe off and leave the tip sticking out a couple inches more than stock. My tip sticks out about 2" past the body panel.
If you're having that much of a problem you may want to look at a turndown tip...
Old 06-24-2005, 06:56 AM

I am using the Geno's stainless tip and did the same thing as Dodgezilla. It helped the soot problem a great deal.
Old 06-24-2005, 05:09 PM
DTR's Self Appointed Beer Advisor

Re: More questions about an exhaust tip....

Originally posted by PapaPerk
Hey guys...

Getting alot of soot build up on my bumper and fender. Time for a stainless tip!

What do you all recommend. I would prefer not weld it on. Also I don't like the clamp style just because you can see it. I have heard there is a press on type. Any one have one? I would like the end to be rolled if possible.

Thanks for the help.
PapaPerk,

i bought mine from the dealer. it is a 5" stainless steel tip with a rolled edge. i was having the same problem as you with soot on my rear fender and the tip took care of it. i moved the tip out about 4" from the tip of the original exhaust and that seemed to work perfectly. it is a clamp on tip but i turned the clamp to where the bolt is at the top and you can't really see it. it was pretty high though, i think $70-$80. but it was worth it to me. still looks good and you don't have to polish it like you would a chrome one.

britt

Old 06-24-2005, 06:59 PM

I bought a Magnaflow 5 inch double wall polished stainless bolt on, I love it, you can hardly tell it bolts on and still looks brand new, I think about $68 if I remember right, - maynard3, tell me how you attached your pic, I know I read how to get around the block but, I cant remember
Old 06-27-2005, 09:50 AM

question for you Maynard....

Maynard,

I like the looks of your exhaust setup. The magnaflow looks sharp with the rolled edge. How do is it welded on? I am located near Sand Gap...well within 30 miles of it. Do you recommend a good shop for the work? Thanks man!
Old 06-27-2005, 01:24 PM

Re: question for you Maynard....

Maynard,

I like the looks of your exhaust setup. The magnaflow looks sharp with the rolled edge. How do is it welded on? I am located near Sand Gap...well within 30 miles of it. Do you recommend a good shop for the work? Thanks man!
I work at an S&S Tire in Lexington...we do alot of business at Exhaust Pro on Boston Road (they were the ones that did my tip). The s/s tip fits a 4" OD pipe snugly & perfectly....it was simply welded on...took only a few minutes. Give me a PM if you would like me to price you a tip; we have alot of sources for exhaust parts thru where I work.
Greg
Old 06-27-2005, 04:05 PM

Thanks for the info Maynard...

How did they weld the stainless to the steel pipe? MIG? Does the weld rust?
Old 06-28-2005, 10:08 AM

Ya out there Maynard?...
Old 06-28-2005, 11:57 AM
Banned

If it is a tight slip fit you could also JB Weld the tip on, I did that on my old Ford and the tip stayed on solid.
Old 06-28-2005, 01:20 PM

Thanks for the info Maynard...

How did they weld the stainless to the steel pipe? MIG? Does the weld rust?
It's welded straight onto the existing pipe...after the pipe was cut back a few inches. The weld still looks great even after about 22 months. I'm guessing it was MIG welded.
Greg
Old 06-29-2005, 10:22 AM

Thanks Maynard. I think I will be doing the same as you! It really looks sharp!
Old 06-29-2005, 04:38 PM

We have the Silverline tips which are double wall blended from 4-5" with the clamp as part of the tip. They are about a foot long and really look good.

Quick Reply: More questions about an exhaust tip....